Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:43 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by JALPak
You won't be missing much even if your brother and his partner don't have access at PVG and KIX.
Oh yeah, that's another point. PVG lounge is very average, and if you really want orange juice you can just grab a can from the fridge and bring it outside.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:57 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
Oh yeah, that's another point. PVG lounge is very average, and if you really want orange juice you can just grab a can from the fridge and bring it outside.
Even the KIX one isn't that great. Sure it's better than the gate but food option is very limited compared to HND and NRT.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: LH Sen***, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I found OLCI with JAL really annoying. I could only download a Japanese language iPhone app, which I couldn't use. And the web check in was complicated. Ended up doing traditional check-in, both ways. The Business class service is fine, but that OLCI stress could make me choose another airline. Am I alone in this?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jcmetrokraft
I found OLCI with JAL really annoying. I could only download a Japanese language iPhone app, which I couldn't use. And the web check in was complicated. Ended up doing traditional check-in, both ways. The Business class service is fine, but that OLCI stress could make me choose another airline. Am I alone in this?
The app is only for domestic flights. For international you can check in on the website, and get a boarding pass via email. The process is pretty painless IMO.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by jcmetrokraft
When I flew Air Koryo, there was no OLCI. There was no app. There was no internet, in fact. Wasn't a problem.

You'd choose another airline so as to avoid human interaction at the airport? Wow, and I thought I was uptight for hiring a chase car to follow me to the airport (for my most critical trips).

Jamie
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:10 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The app is only for domestic flights. For international you can check in on the website, and get a boarding pass via email. The process is pretty painless IMO.
Especially the auto OLCI function Don't even have to worry about doing OLCI at all (assuming your ticket allows advanced seat selection)
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Can anyone comment on checking a bicycle on JAL? I will have it in a mountain bike/road bike type cardboard box, well padded so not worried about damage. I am flying in C from NRT to BKK, I tried a search but nothing on this forum, and do not see specific charges on JAL website...I am checking three bags in addition to bike so I am sure there is an extra charge which is fine, just wondering if anyone knows how much on this route and any size/weight limits?
Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: LH Sen***, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
When I flew Air Koryo, there was no OLCI. There was no app. There was no internet, in fact. Wasn't a problem.

You'd choose another airline so as to avoid human interaction at the airport? Wow, and I thought I was uptight for hiring a chase car to follow me to the airport (for my most critical trips).

Jamie
Haha... I am not avoiding humans. They are one of my favourite species. I just prefer to be able to check-in several hours before, so I have peace of mind.

With most apps (AF, LH, BA, CX, Sing, UA, AA, DL, EK etc etc) it is easy. You just upload the booking reference and all the info is there... if you need passport info you can scan it.

With JAL no... need birthdate, passport number, mother's favourite colour etc etc

So you head to the airport not knowing if you have a seat. And if you don't have status with JAL, you may need to queue.

All in all, a decent APP in English would be a good idea.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Can anyone comment on checking a bicycle on JAL? I will have it in a mountain bike/road bike type cardboard box, well padded so not worried about damage. I am flying in C from NRT to BKK, I tried a search but nothing on this forum, and do not see specific charges on JAL website...I am checking three bags in addition to bike so I am sure there is an extra charge which is fine, just wondering if anyone knows how much on this route and any size/weight limits?
Thanks
Look at Japan to Asia at https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/baggage/checked/. No specific route restrictions and only surfboards/windsurfing has seperate fees so should probably be JPY10000 for the additional bag (4th in C, after your other 3). If over 203cm (length + height + depth), another JPY10000. I assume the JAL counter agent would place the heaviest bags in the first three's weight allowance but am unsure if it would be extended to the fourth. If not, 23-32kg would be JPY6000 and anything 32kg-45kg including the first three bags would be JPY30000 for overweight charge.

ETA: Don't see OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire in your profile that would affect the baggage allowance.

Last edited by rustykettel; Sep 13, 2017 at 9:09 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by rustykettel

ETA: Don't see OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire in your profile that would affect the baggage allowance.
Thanks, thought I was missing something as I only saw the windsurfing stuff as well...I am OW Sapphire so maybe that will help a bit on the oversize which I am sure it will be. JAL has always been really good to me on bags so hoping this will go smoothly, just did not want to be turned away at the airport!
Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Thanks, thought I was missing something as I only saw the windsurfing stuff as well...I am OW Sapphire so maybe that will help a bit on the oversize which I am sure it will be. JAL has always been really good to me on bags so hoping this will go smoothly, just did not want to be turned away at the airport!
Thanks
In that case, overweight/oversize would be the only concern. See post #3 in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ess-class.html Good luck!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:36 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Did JL recently open up KE flight on redemption? I just saw the award page, I was under the impression that only codeshare flights will earn but there was no redemption yet.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/...ir/partner/ke/

Anyways, what's the best way to check and book? EF has KE but it always returns empty on the flight/day I want even though delta.com shows availability.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
Did JL recently open up KE flight on redemption? I just saw the award page, I was under the impression that only codeshare flights will earn but there was no redemption yet.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/...ir/partner/ke/

Anyways, what's the best way to check and book? EF has KE but it always returns empty on the flight/day I want even though delta.com shows availability.
It then seems like a case of find it on delta.com and call JAL to see if they can see the same. JAL only has phone booking for KE.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
I want to redeem a roundtrip ticket from SYD-MEL/NRT in Business class in October but mostly there is no outright award, only waitlist. What can I expect from the waitlist as this is my first time with JAL JMB? How about getting the premium economy or upgradable economy, is it easier to get an upgrade instead of redeeming the whole ticket?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nikkoap92
I want to redeem a roundtrip ticket from SYD-MEL/NRT in Business class in October but mostly there is no outright award, only waitlist. What can I expect from the waitlist as this is my first time with JAL JMB? How about getting the premium economy or upgradable economy, is it easier to get an upgrade instead of redeeming the whole ticket?
If there are unsold seats, JAL may open additional close in. But there are very likely already people waitlisting for awards and/or upgrades. The Sydney flights used to sell out quite easily but you may get lucky on an airport upgrade. I would not consider it likely. But I have not looked at Australia recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.