Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by hmados
Booked 2 business awards for friends using AA miles and paid the taxes($11.20) with a card I have subsequently cancelled and destroyed. Will they be asked for the card? If so what alternate can I give them?
Thanks
Indeed they were not asked for the credit card. Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:43 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Is JGC Diamond benefits worth getting over JGC Premier for non Japan region member? The only one I can see is the extra miles, the rest seem similar.

I need 16,000 FOP (JAL Group:3,208 FOP) before the next level and with some QR flights longhaul flights already scheduled before end of year so the 16k FOP will be easy. I'm just wondering if it's worth to catch up on the JL portion of the requirement by planning another trip?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
Is JGC Diamond benefits worth getting over JGC Premier for non Japan region member? The only one I can see is the extra miles, the rest seem similar.

I need 16,000 FOP (JAL Group:3,208 FOP) before the next level and with some QR flights longhaul flights already scheduled before end of year so the 16k FOP will be easy. I'm just wondering if it's worth to catch up on the JL portion of the requirement by planning another trip?
I can't remember if there is a difference in the number of free WiFi sessions, but there is a difference in the pecking order for an op-up. But in practical perceivable benefits, nothing truly different.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:24 am
jix

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I can't remember if there is a difference in the number of free WiFi sessions, but there is a difference in the pecking order for an op-up. But in practical perceivable benefits, nothing truly different.
I don't think the wifi is worth that much. I looked at the site and the diamond member gets more on gift selection it looks like, whether e coupon or the annual 2x gifts instead of 1.

I need to make a trip in December from US to Asia, I could change it from points to cash on JL in order to qualify for diamond but it's quite expensive with little return.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
I don't think the wifi is worth that much. I looked at the site and the diamond member gets more on gift selection it looks like, whether e coupon or the annual 2x gifts instead of 1.

I need to make a trip in December from US to Asia, I could change it from points to cash on JL in order to qualify for diamond but it's quite expensive with little return.
The differences are so minimal that it is not worth investing much in the miles to achieve Diamond. All the actual benefits I see from the status are equally applicable to both JGC Premier and to Diamond.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:17 pm
jix

The differences are so minimal that it is not worth investing much in the miles to achieve Diamond. All the actual benefits I see from the status are equally applicable to both JGC Premier and to Diamond.
Yeah I might credit my QR flight to AA then, at least there's bonus miles being EXP.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
They took away the most appealing reason to go up to Diamond few years ago
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:02 pm
jix

Originally Posted by JALPak
They took away the most appealing reason to go up to Diamond few years ago
What was that?

Actually is there an archive of qualification criteria and tier benefits from before? I'm curious how it changes every year.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
What was that?

Actually is there an archive of qualification criteria and tier benefits from before? I'm curious how it changes every year.
UGP (upgrade point)

Don't look it will just make you more upset with the endless devaluation
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:23 pm

Update: They did allow me to check bags all the way through so I didn't have to pick them up during overnight NRT layover, only upon US arrival.

Believe OP can choose to check through on the return as well given the connection is less than 24 hrs. In this case, he will still go through immigration and custom but just not with his checked baggage.
Originally Posted by Himeno
4. Yes
Since you are overnighting in NRT on the return, you'll need to go through immigration, collect bags and clear customs.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:25 pm

Business lounge access for guest?

Hello All,

My partner and I are travelling in J, PVG-HND and KIX-PVG in November.
We will both just have been downgraded to BA bronze when we fly (currently both BA silver).

My brother and his partner are traveling on the same flights, in Y, on a separate PNR. They do not have status.

Will my partner and I be able to guest them into the Sakura lounges at PVG and KIX?

Many thanks for your help.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tom London
Hello All,

My partner and I are travelling in J, PVG-HND and KIX-PVG in November.
We will both just have been downgraded to BA bronze when we fly (currently both BA silver).

My brother and his partner are traveling on the same flights, in Y, on a separate PNR. They do not have status.

Will my partner and I be able to guest them into the Sakura lounges at PVG and KIX?

Many thanks for your help.
No, if the status is up-to-date on your booking. But if it still shows BA silver on your boarding pass, then you may be able to guess him in. I will let you decide whether it's ethical to do so yourself.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:17 pm

No, if the status is up-to-date on your booking. But if it still shows BA silver on your boarding pass, then you may be able to guess him in. I will let you decide whether it's ethical to do so yourself.
Many thanks JALPak, for your help. Much appreciated. Believe me, with the amount we've spent on these tickets I have no issue with the ethics involved in sneaking them a comfortable seat and a complimentary orange juice!

thank you again.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:27 pm
jix

Many thanks JALPak, for your help. Much appreciated. Believe me, with the amount we've spent on these tickets I have no issue with the ethics involved in sneaking them a comfortable seat and a complimentary orange juice!

thank you again.
If you want the lounge access at PVG, make sure to get it (passes) for all members at the check-in counter. JL does not have a sakura lounge there.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

thank you again.
You won't be missing much even if your brother and his partner don't have access at PVG and KIX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.