Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Second question: Is there a thread that describes the Premium Economy (no more abbreviations ) experience?
Yes!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...my-review.html

Last edited by rustykettel; Mar 28, 2017 at 4:35 pm Reason: remove extraneous para; misread two comments together
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:41 pm

How "easy" is it to maintain or earn status miles with respect to other airlines? E.g., would only very expensive tickets count for status or do reasonably-priced fares already count. Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:48 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CX HK
How "easy" is it to maintain or earn status miles with respect to other airlines? E.g., would only very expensive tickets count for status or do reasonably-priced fares already count. Thanks!
It's pretty hard to maintain FLY ON status compared to other airlines. JMB FLY ON status requires at least half of the qualifying miles/sectors to be earned on JAL Group flights. Discounted Economy on JL earns as low as 30%. But if you fly long-haul flights regularly, 2 HKG-US or Europe roundtrips on upgradable economy tickets should allow you to maintain the lowest FLY ON status JMB Crystal. A K class upgradable ticket is around USD1800-2000.

Given you are HKG based, also note that most CX discounted fares won't earn anything at all, not even redeemable miles.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by CX HK
JAL probably has some of the strictest rules on that point. 50% of your qualifying points (Fly On Points) have to come from JAL marketed flights. The earnings on partner discounted economy class fares is usually pretty low, but most of them counts to some extend.

Study the earning charts carefully for especially CX and QF flights as I find a lot of their economy booking classes to have zero earnings.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
They will contact people in advance if needed.
That's good to know !

Do we have any anecdotal experiences as to what they offer in such cases? Cash compensation? Future travel vouchers?

Is there anything to be gained by pushing for a higher compensation or is it take it or leave it offer?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:56 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by deovrat
That's good to know !

Do we have any anecdotal experiences as to what they offer in such cases? Cash compensation? Future travel vouchers?

Is there anything to be gained by pushing for a higher compensation or is it take it or leave it offer?
None of the above. I wouldn't worry too much about this. Just enjoy your flight.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Thank you for the reassurance
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:35 am

Was there an equipment swap on my flight from JFK to NRT?

It's saying JL 003 does not have first class and the plane is a 773? But my class does say F. I found out when I was trying to look for the F menu for the flight on the JAL website?

On my Alaska confirmation it specifically says Japan Airlines 3
Japan Airlines 3
Boeing 777-300 New York-Kennedy (JFK)
Sun, Apr 2
11:30 am Tokyo-Tokyo Narita, Japan (NRT)
Mon, Apr 3
2:40 pm Z
(First)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by jayoxd

It's saying JL 003 does not have first class and the plane is a 773? But my class does say F. I found out when I was trying to look for the F menu for the flight on the JAL website?

Japan Airlines 3
Sun, Apr 2
Mon, Apr 3
(First)
JL3/4 switches to 773 beginning Mar 27. The menu (at least the English version) just hasn't been updated to show an F menu for April or May months. There have been issues reported with using the menu here.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/rosen/suite.html
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
JL3/4 switches to 773 beginning Mar 27. The menu (at least the English version) just hasn't been updated to show an F menu for April or May months. There have been issues reported with using the menu here.
Is the 773 with First Class that I have shown? Because when I search 773 I get either the 777-300 or the 777-300ER which does have first class. I'm still on hold right now but you might have saved me from a slight heart attack - thank you.

edit: I believe the answer is yes from what you said but I'm still staying on hold to confirm...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:58 am

Is the 773 with First Class that I have shown? Because when I search 773 I get either the 777-300 or the 777-300ER which does have first class. I'm still on hold right now but you might have saved me from a slight heart attack - thank you.
Yes. That SS7 icon is Sky Suite with F. I don't believe they operate the -300 on this or any mainland US route.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes. That SS7 icon is Sky Suite with F. I don't believe they operate the -300 on this or any mainland US route.
Thanks so much!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:24 am

Thanks so much!
You are most welcome! Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Japan Airlines 3
Sun, Apr 2
Mon, Apr 3
(First)
There has been no equipment swap. I am not entirely sure where it is you see that there should be no first class. The picture you shared shows JAL Suite which is the F seat.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There has been no equipment swap. I am not entirely sure where it is you see that there should be no first class. The picture you shared shows JAL Suite which is the F seat.
Yeah thank you for clarifying - my main source of panic was when I was browsing menus where you can actually select my flight and it only had Y and J and when i switched it to the other flight where it showed F.

Then I googled JAL 773 and the first link on seatguru shows a 2 cabin 777. Cue the panic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.