Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:13 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by brankell5566
Forgive me for not doing my research, but I just redeemed my Avios for a Business class trip from HKG - NRT (4hrs) - YVR. Will be flying with CX for HKG-NRT and JAL for NRT-YVR.

This is my first time ever travelling outside of economy so I am stoked to try out lounges and experience business class service on a flight.

So I have a few dilemmas:

1. My flight departs HKG at 8:30AM, am I able to access the CX lounge right when it opens at 5:30AM? The reason is, I may have to stay at HKG airport overnight, so it would be helpful to have a shower and such earlier.

2. I can't seem to locate my booking on the JAL website and pick a seat. Which seat should I go for on the 787-8 for NRT to YVR? I would most definitely prefer window.

3. Will I be able to access the JAL lounges during my four hour layover at NRT?
Yes to both CX and JL lounges. You can access other oneworld member operated business class lounges as well based on your class of service as long as there's no capacity constraint.

Just pick any window seat then. NRT-YVR has shell flat neo so you will have to climb over your neighbor to get out. I prefer bulkhead but that means smaller IFE screen.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:22 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
So...AA/DL/UA just issued travel waiver for March 10 in the NYC area due to snow storm. I'm flying on the same day on JL via JFK, how likely is it going to affect me given the flight is international and wide body? Should I also try to go to airport early and catch the earlier flight (9am vs 12pm), not sure if JL typically allows it.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
So...AA/DL/UA just issued travel waiver for March 10 in the NYC area due to snow storm. I'm flying on the same day on JL via JFK, how likely is it going to affect me given the flight is international and wide body? Should I also try to go to airport early and catch the earlier flight (9am vs 12pm), not sure if JL typically allows it.

Usually JAL will just cancel the flight if it's really bad.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:16 pm
jix

Thanks, on JL now, curious is PE supposed to be its own cabin? It's the same food as Y plus snack so other the better seat I'm curious what service difference there is onboard.

The curtain to separate PE and Y was not closed all the time and I think PE shares the same washroom as Y (for 77W in the back), unlike CX.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jix
Thanks, on JL now, curious is PE supposed to be its own cabin? It's the same food as Y plus snack so other the better seat I'm curious what service difference there is onboard.
Just better seat than Y. No big difference in service. Yes, some additional amenity, beverages, and meals may be available.

Last edited by Toki; Mar 10, 2017 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jix

The curtain to separate PE and Y was not closed all the time and I think PE shares the same washroom as Y (for 77W in the back), unlike CX.
On flights to Europe and the US, the midflight snack is bigger/better. There is champagne available, there are slippers, and you get noise cancelling head phones (not very good ones, but better than the standard Y). There may be a few other drink options extra for PY, can't remember. On the 77W, there is a lavatory between PY and J that is used by both cabins.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:38 pm
jix

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
On the 77W, there is a lavatory between PY and J that is used by both cabins.
Oh, they put the curtain up as soon as flight leveled. So I thought it's exclusive for J cabin only.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
In 772ER case, PY is completely surrounded by C and Y cabins.
I was embarrassed with the problem when on board 772ER PY HNL-HND then went to the backward one.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
Oh, they put the curtain up as soon as flight leveled. So I thought it's exclusive for J cabin only.
The curtains are also closed from the other side. Cabin attendants have never said anything when I used them from. PY.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

The curtains are also closed from the other side. Cabin attendants have never said anything when I used them from. PY.
I thought they are meant for PY that's why CA won't say anything when you a C passenger uses them
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
I thought they are meant for PY that's why CA won't say anything when you a C passenger uses them
I use them from either cabin
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Same here. I change into light clothes after takeoff in the lavs and have run into the CA's outside when they're just setting up. None have ever said anything about these not being available for PY pax. Also, the forward PY cabin lav occupied light comes on when both PY/J lavs are in use, not for the rear Y lavs.

Other PY drink choice is shochu. In addition to the offered midflight snack, you get JAL udon in the sky (may have to ask for it, it's not always proactively offered) and dessert before landing (ice cream ex-US, boxed regional pastry ex-Japan) in my limited experience.

Last edited by rustykettel; Mar 10, 2017 at 7:22 pm Reason: deleted incorrect information;see later post below
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

I use them from either cabin
Yea, I used that when I was sitting near the back of the C cabin too.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:26 pm
jix

Originally Posted by rustykettel

. In addition to the offered midflight snack, you get JAL udon in the sky (may have to ask for it, it's not always proactively offered) and dessert before landing (ice cream ex-US, boxed regional pastry ex-Japan) in my limited experience.
so for the mid flight snack, do they walk the cart offering it at some time? Or do I have to request it whenever similar to J cabin?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix
so for the mid flight snack, do they walk the cart offering it at some time? Or do I have to request it whenever similar to J cabin?
It is served at a point in the flight. From a cart with drinks normally.

Also on the LHR HND flight, there is a small tin of Walkers shortbread handed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.