Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Toki
Because of Lunar New Year. (Chinese New Year)
Not limited, already sold out.
You hopefully grab free upgrade if you purchased such higher Y fare in this season.
Chinese New Year was beginning of Feb, and already past.... That's only a reason for flights somewhere in 2018 which would not even have opened for booking yet.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:31 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Chinese New Year was beginning of Feb, and already past.... That's only a reason for flights somewhere in 2018 which would not even have opened for booking yet.
I don't even know why CNY got mentioned here. OP didn't even specify a date of travel. Anyway, even if it's CNY, flights don't necessarily get THAT full. One of the emptiest JAL flights I ever had was an ex-HKG departed 3 days after CNY. Flight was ~20% full only. It really depends on the date and direction you are flying.

FWIW, CNY on Feb 14 2018. Definitely not open for reservation and OP wouldn't have an expiring reservation if OP is planning to travel around CNY 2018 (or 2017).
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
I've been to TSA from HND dozen times then thought this season was still peak.
Anyway, it's one of the highest demand routes. Sometimes JL upgrades even Y awards.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
Originally Posted by Toki
Anyway, it's one of the highest demand routes.
+1.

TSA-HND more demand/capacity ratio than TPE.
I wished upgrades and just found BCDtravel availability tool showed both C and Y were full.

I ticket about 3 wk - 4wk before departure to avoid an unacceptable expensive ticket.
Last time I got HND-TSA/M and TPE-NRT/H for almost $100k JPY.
Yesterday got NRT-TPE return in the middle of Mar. both booked into M for about $70k JPY.

Last edited by LandMiler; Feb 24, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: JGC premier
Is it just me or is JAL website not showing up any reservation made through TAs anymore? All of my reservations for biz trip made through our corporate TA (JTB) just disappeared when i tried logging in. I know that the reservation must still exists since part of an upcoming trip on JL still shows up on AA's system as part of the same RTW ticket..
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Is it just me or is JAL website not showing up any reservation made through TAs anymore? All of my reservations for biz trip made through our corporate TA (JTB) just disappeared when i tried logging in. I know that the reservation must still exists since part of an upcoming trip on JL still shows up on AA's system as part of the same RTW ticket..
I can see all my booking details from our corporate TA. Is your JMB number still in the bookings?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:24 pm

Hi all,

I have attained the crystal status with JL just today or yesterday, but it hasn't showed up on my account page. Now the problem is I am going to book more flights with JL and one of the benefit of JMB crystals that we can get 55% miles bonus. So should I wait until my status shows up or go ahead and book? Does the bonus apply to traveling date or ticketing date?

Thanks all
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:23 pm

I can see all my booking details from our corporate TA. Is your JMB number still in the bookings?
yes, at least the number still shows up in aa's booking page..

Originally Posted by flightaholic
Hi all,

I have attained the crystal status with JL just today or yesterday, but it hasn't showed up on my account page. Now the problem is I am going to book more flights with JL and one of the benefit of JMB crystals that we can get 55% miles bonus. So should I wait until my status shows up or go ahead and book? Does the bonus apply to traveling date or ticketing date?

Thanks all
applies to travel date. Go ahead and book!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:51 pm

good advice, i logged out and did manual reservation checks by entering each PNRs and found all the reservations intact with my JMB No missing. Don't know what happened, but since i can't add it manually online i guess i'll just have to call JL - lesser pain than having to deal with JTB.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:50 am

New to JAL. When does JAL release their award inventory to JMB and One World members for booking? Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles8
New to JAL. When does JAL release their award inventory to JMB and One World members for booking? Thanks.
330 days out
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:40 pm

1. When searching for GMP - HND - SIN, on JAL on ITA, I see a fare with GMP - HND in (Y) fare bucket, and then HND - SIN in (Y) fare bucket too. I see that this fare allows for a stopover, which I cannot book on the JAL site. Will I be able to call JAL and tell them that I see availability on these flights in Y and they'll be able to book the flight at the price seen on ITA?
2. From this, if I only wanted the HND - SIN flight, when searching for just that flight in (Y), I see it pop up on ITA for ~300,000 KRW (~$300 USD), however I do not see this fare at this price on any other search engine or on any carrier website. Similar to (1), can I call JAL and purchase this fare in this fare bucket at the price quoted by ITA?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:56 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
What is the standard meal service like for JL in long haul economy (JFK/SYD)? Are there amenity like slippers and do they give out water bottle to each passenger?

Also, curious to know if JL operates any fifth freedom routes that does not touch Japan?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix
What is the standard meal service like for JL in long haul economy (JFK/SYD)? Are there amenity like slippers and do they give out water bottle to each passenger?

Also, curious to know if JL operates any fifth freedom routes that does not touch Japan?
Two hot meals, and a mid-flight snack on JFK. No slippers in economy, there is in premium economy. There is a small bottle of water on the main dinner tray. The crew will come through very frequently with water, cold green tea or juice. Water and water bottles are generally available from the galleys or if you ring the bell. They will often offer to refill your bottle from the bigger bottles in the galley.

No routes not touching Japan.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by pop311
1. When searching for GMP - HND - SIN, on JAL on ITA, I see a fare with GMP - HND in (Y) fare bucket, and then HND - SIN in (Y) fare bucket too. I see that this fare allows for a stopover, which I cannot book on the JAL site. Will I be able to call JAL and tell them that I see availability on these flights in Y and they'll be able to book the flight at the price seen on ITA?
2. From this, if I only wanted the HND - SIN flight, when searching for just that flight in (Y), I see it pop up on ITA for ~300,000 KRW (~$300 USD), however I do not see this fare at this price on any other search engine or on any carrier website. Similar to (1), can I call JAL and purchase this fare in this fare bucket at the price quoted by ITA?
yes you'll have to call JL seoul reservation line to make the reservation which includes stopover. What you'll pay is exactly the same as what they charge on their website for online reservation, plus phone booking charge (30,000 won?). Don't think JL does price comparison thing (although i've never seen ota offering far much cheaper price for JAL, so probably a moot point).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.