Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by JALPak
They will just issue it over the phone for you if space is available.
Thanks for the swift response! What do you think in terms of availability in early March?

Is SFO-HND typically a high-demand route?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Guys is the sushi bar open during morning breakfast hours in the first lounge in NRT. My flight leaves at 11am
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:31 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by db07mufan
Guys is the sushi bar open during morning breakfast hours in the first lounge in NRT. My flight leaves at 11am
Yes, 07:30-12:30 then 15:00-20:00
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
How does the JAL pass work? Do I get to pick the flights I want or do they put me on one? If I get the flight I want for 10,800 Yen that would be great. If however they put me on an earlier morning flight, I'd rather spend the additional 6,000 Yen and book a flight that perfectly suits me.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
How does the JAL pass work? Do I get to pick the flights I want or do they put me on one? If I get the flight I want for 10,800 Yen that would be great. If however they put me on an earlier morning flight, I'd rather spend the additional 6,000 Yen and book a flight that perfectly suits me.
You pick your own flights
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
You pick your own flights
Thanks.

Last edited by WorldLux; Feb 6, 2017 at 4:13 am
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JMBResona
Thanks for the swift response! What do you think in terms of availability in early March?

Is SFO-HND typically a high-demand route?
Early March is normally off-season, but JL always releases seats for award in the 14 days before departure.
You can see vacancy at flight schedule search.
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/route/skdl/

If there is ANY vacancy after the period, JL will release it for awards then.
Therefore, though SFO-HND is quite a high-demand route, I could take F award even in peak season.

Last edited by Toki; Feb 10, 2017 at 4:11 am
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:58 pm

What is the best way to check availability of international upgrade awards? If using KVS, should I be looking at the CS number?

Also, in your experience, how long does a transfer from SPG take?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by princesakura
What is the best way to check availability of international upgrade awards? If using KVS, should I be looking at the CS number?

Also, in your experience, how long does a transfer from SPG take?
I always do only searching flight schedule because the system shows schedule with vacancy for each class, F, C, and Y.
Any vacancy may be released for awards at least in the 14 days before departure.
I'm not confident, but in my experience, JL may release their vacancy earlier for upgrade awards, later for non-upgrade awards.

Transfer process from SPG to JMB may complete within a couple days.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Just wondering if the 787 used on the Hel-Nrt route has the new sky suite or the older business class?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jock
Just wondering if the 787 used on the Hel-Nrt route has the new sky suite or the older business class?
sky suite

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servic.../skysuite.html
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:07 pm

Having booked my JAL pass, I wonder how good my chances are to get a 1,000 JPY upgrade (I presume a JAL pass holder can get these as well) on a mid-day flight from HND to FUK. The 10$ seem to be a reasonable investment to sit slightly more comfortable.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Having booked my JAL pass, I wonder how good my chances are to get a 1,000 JPY upgrade (I presume a JAL pass holder can get these as well) on a mid-day flight from HND to FUK. The 10$ seem to be a reasonable investment to sit slightly more comfortable.
Reasonably good, but really difficult to say. My experience is that the class J cabin goes out full, but a lot of times there a has been seats offered at the airport.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:00 am

Flew on an award ticket last week CTS-NGO in Y on a 738.

At the gate, an agent was holding up a sign for the Y to J upgrade for JPY1000. I was tempted but she mentioned only middle seats were left and I was traveling with someone. I was actually a bit confused because I hadn't realized JL has a 2-3 configuration in J on the 738.

A few questions for next time...

Is the seat width the same for all J seats on the 738?

Does JL serve a meal/snack in domestic J on a 738 (versus the drink service in Y)?

Lastly, could I have asked about the upgrade at check in or is it just at the gate that the upgrade opportunity is available?

Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Flew on an award ticket last week CTS-NGO in Y on a 738.

At the gate, an agent was holding up a sign for the Y to J upgrade for JPY1000. I was tempted but she mentioned only middle seats were left and I was traveling with someone. I was actually a bit confused because I hadn't realized JL has a 2-3 configuration in J on the 738.

A few questions for next time...

Is the seat width the same for all J seats on the 738?

Does JL serve a meal/snack in domestic J on a 738 (versus the drink service in Y)?

Lastly, could I have asked about the upgrade at check in or is it just at the gate that the upgrade opportunity is available?

Thanks
All the seats look and feel the same in Class J the 738,though admittedly I have not been seated in a middle seat.

Class J is not really business class, but just a better seat and a couple of extra drinks selections. Basically a premium economy class. There is no meal. You would need to find a route with F for that.

You can ask at check in for the option to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.