Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:15 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
Flying JAL for the first time tomorrow. DEL-NRT, award ticket via BA Avios. I hold AA Gold status.

Right now, my FFP is fixed as my BA FFP which has no status, thus relegating me to row 53. My questions:

(a) Does AA Gold get me anything, such as access to better Y seats? It'll obviously be at airport check-in that I show my AA Gold card. (I brought the physical card, thinking I might need it for this particular flight.)

(b) Does JL tend to offer day-of-departure upgrades to J or some sort of premium economy product?

(c) Seatguru shows the 787 as having 30 to 32 inch pitch in Y. Any way to tell which are the 30" seats? I assume those would be bright red on Seatguru but they aren't...not much in the way of good and bad seats listed there, other than exit row and one or two seats that are missing a window.

Thanks!
Yes oneworld elites have preferred settings but those seats might have been taken by now.

No discount upgrade and given your ticket is an award issue by BA, I don't think they would even offer non discounted one either

I wasn't aware of the 30 inches pitch. Standard seats have 31.1 inches
http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201203/002069.html

Have a pleasant flight
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
(b) Does JL tend to offer day-of-departure upgrades to J or some sort of premium economy product?
JAL does not sell day of flight upgrades. Might you get an op-up? Sure, but don't count on it, I have gotten only 2 op-ups on JAL in 10 years of flying with them. On a percentage basis, I have had more upgrades on CX and AA than on JAL. Enjoy your flight!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Black Adder
JAL does not sell day of flight upgrades. Might you get an op-up? Sure, but don't count on it, I have gotten only 2 op-ups on JAL in 10 years of flying with them. On a percentage basis, I have had more upgrades on CX and AA than on JAL. Enjoy your flight!
JAL sells upgrades at check-in but for Y to PY only but PY isn't available on 787
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Great...thanks for the info! I'll add my AA number to the itin at the airport and see if that turns up any better seats, although right now we do have a pair by the window so I'm not too worried about it. Might be nice to get exit row but I imagine JL's own elites already have those booked...

I know better than to ask for an op up with a puny AA Gold card... Just with some carriers these days selling upgrades to anyone willing to buy one (award or not), I figured I'd ask about some sort of paid upgrade.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
JAL sells upgrades at check-in but for Y to PY only but PY isn't available on 787
Wow, you learn something every day. Good to know about the PY upgrade, thanks, Pak.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Black Adder
Wow, you learn something every day. Good to know about the PY upgrade, thanks, Pak.
You never noticed the laminated JAPANESE flyer at check-in? Usually they have that on the check-in desk if PY isn't full. But be warned that mileage accumulation and lounge access will be based on your original ticket. You can find more info from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15661160-post23.html
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:53 am

Partner Award Deadline

From my reading of the rules, I see that awards on partner airlines may not be ticketed within 4 days, or changed within 3 days.

Is this in fact a firm deadline, or would they try to ticket it if there is availability? Anyone have actual experience with this?

I just ask since I've seen such rules on other airlines that weren't strictly kept.

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfny36
From my reading of the rules, I see that awards on partner airlines may not be ticketed within 4 days, or changed within 3 days.

Is this in fact a firm deadline, or would they try to ticket it if there is availability? Anyone have actual experience with this?

I just ask since I've seen such rules on other airlines that weren't strictly kept.

Thanks!
Sorry I don't have first hand experience on this. But as a general rule of thumbs for JAL, rules are rules and are usually strictly followed.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:19 pm

ORD-NRT-ICN Lounge Question

I am traveling ORD-NRT in F and connecting NRT-ICN in C (no F on aircraft) I am also a Oneworld Emerald on AA - will I be able to access F lounge in Narita for my connection ? Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I am traveling ORD-NRT in F and connecting NRT-ICN in C (no F on aircraft) I am also a Oneworld Emerald on AA - will I be able to access F lounge in Narita for my connection ? Thanks
Yes, oneworld emerald will get you access to the JAL F lounge unless you are flying the NRT-ICN codeshare operated by KE.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:14 am

Thank you ! Is there a smoking area in the F lounge in the main building and/or satellite building ?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Yes, oneworld emerald will get you access to the JAL F lounge unless you are flying the NRT-ICN codeshare operated by KE.
In the above scenario, if the customer is not Oneworld Emerald, but is travelling ORD-NRT in JL First Class, connecting to another destiation in Asia in JL Business class, would the customer be entitled to use the JAL First Class lounge in lieu of the Sakura lounge?

Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guava
In the above scenario, if the customer is not Oneworld Emerald, but is travelling ORD-NRT in JL First Class, connecting to another destiation in Asia in JL Business class, would the customer be entitled to use the JAL First Class lounge in lieu of the Sakura lounge?

Thanks
That I don't know...anyone with experience on that before? My *guess* is you will get access to whatever lounge is printed on your boarding pass and that probably will be Sakura .
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

That I don't know...anyone with experience on that before? My *guess* is you will get access to whatever lounge is printed on your boarding pass and that probably will be Sakura .
OK this trip report answers the question and my guess was correct, only Sakura Lounge access in this case.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Booking Woes

Want to fly next Sep LHR-NRT-FUK using Avios. I've got the LHR booked in PY, hopefully J will open up at some later point I can't get a booking for the evening flight though from NRT-FUK. I am being told that as it is on JL express, Avios is not valid! Even rerouting via HND seems to be difficult as none of the evening flights are available for Avios booking. Is it just a case of me trying too far in advance i.e. 10 months out? Any help would be most appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.