Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:34 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by fakecd
thanks JALpack. I ended up going for JL29. I don't care about lie-flat seat but 767 is older aircraft, monitor on skyluxe looks very tiny and seatings seems cramped (2-2-2 vs 2-1-2 for ANA or 2-3-2 on 777). Also going to Narita is a hassle just not my cup of tea (disclaimer i'm Japanese so i know my way around)
Design-wise yes, 767-300ER first entered service in 1988 while 777-200ER first entered service in 1997. But JAL ordered both in 2002 and received their first 767-300ER and 777-200ER on the same date on Nov 27 2000. So JAL's 777-200ER fleet age isn't that much younger than 767-300ER. In fact the 767-300ER fleet might even be younger with all of the recent deliveries

Personally I prefer the HND lounge and bigger airplanes more Just make sure you don't pick the bulkhead if you don't like tiny screen.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Can anyone explain the difference between seats available and vacant seats waiting on the JMB Award Search Engine.

Also, is JL award space on JMB the same with on other OW members like AA, CX?
Per oneworld agreement, the inventory to one's program's general member is the same for the rest of the alliance members' programs.

I am not sure what you were referring to by vacant seats waiting. Did you mean unavailable requiring waitlisting?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Per oneworld agreement, the inventory to one's program's general member is the same for the rest of the alliance members' programs.

I am not sure what you were referring to by vacant seats waiting. Did you mean unavailable requiring waitlisting?
The circle sign vs. the diamond sign.

The circle from their chart means Seats Available.
The diamond from their chart means Vacant seats waiting.

What's the difference?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
The circle sign vs. the diamond sign.

The circle from their chart means Seats Available.
The diamond from their chart means Vacant seats waiting.

What's the difference?
I guess you were on the calendar search page. The legend was poorly translated. The diamond means "Unavailable, require waitlisting"
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: JAL JMB SAPPHIRE;Etihad guest Platinum; Hilton HHonors Diamond; IHG Platinum elite
Hi there! I am new here.
As I knew , CX will offering the Marco polo elite status even though those who are not fully comply the requirements.for example . 29000mlies to silver status.

I am wondering that whether JAL will do the same thing on their member or not?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karlwang87
Hi there! I am new here.
As I knew , CX will offering the Marco polo elite status even though those who are not fully comply the requirements.for example . 29000mlies to silver status.

The only time I heard of JAL renewing people status without the required FOPs is during bankruptcy. I am glad that I haven't encountered the problem of accumulating enough FOPs for renewal yet. But my guess is JAL will probably say rules are rules. But other FTers who have experienced that might have better idea
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by karlwang87
Hi there! I am new here.

Good luck. I`d say you`re out of out luck and wouldn`t bother even asking. JALPak response with the whole the rules are the rules in this case is correct (we don`t often agree on things but i`d support him on this one) . I`d say get the extra FOP or pray for a global financial crisis again.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Question and I am sorry if this has been asked before.

Is there are good way to check Oneworld award space on JL?
(I am looking getting 2 JL business tickets LAX/SFO-NRT using BA points)

Thank you!
colpuck
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colpuck
Question and I am sorry if this has been asked before.

Is there are good way to check Oneworld award space on JL?
(I am looking getting 2 JL business tickets LAX/SFO-NRT using BA points)

Thank you!
colpuck
Just sign up for JMB and use their search tool. Per oneworld agreements, inventory available to the general public of one's FFP is available to all alliance members' FFP members
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
I am flying J from NRT-BKK connecting from an AA flight from DFW. On AA, they start taking the meal orders at the front of the J cabin on even flight numbers, and at the rear of the cabin on odd flight numbers. Having never flown JAL Business before, does JAL follow a similar system or does it not matter where you sit? I would prefer to get the western meal option.

Also, AA has assigned my wife and I 1H/K on flight 707, however, 2A/C is showing available online, yet AA for some reason shows them as blocked. I called JL and they said only AA can move the seats. The fare code is in I inventory and booked as an AA codeshare. Are there any noticeable issues with sitting in the first row of J on the 767? We want a window/aisle seat next to each other so our options are limited to 1H/K, 2A/C (if AA could put us there) or the last row of Business. If there aren't any noticeable issues with the first row of J on the 767 I won't push the issue.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by umaa83
I am flying J from NRT-BKK connecting from an AA flight from DFW. On AA, they start taking the meal orders at the front of the J cabin on even flight numbers, and at the rear of the cabin on odd flight numbers. Having never flown JAL Business before, does JAL follow a similar system or does it not matter where you sit? I would prefer to get the western meal option.

Also, AA has assigned my wife and I 1H/K on flight 707, however, 2A/C is showing available online, yet AA for some reason shows them as blocked. I called JL and they said only AA can move the seats. The fare code is in I inventory and booked as an AA codeshare. Are there any noticeable issues with sitting in the first row of J on the 767? We want a window/aisle seat next to each other so our options are limited to 1H/K, 2A/C (if AA could put us there) or the last row of Business. If there aren't any noticeable issues with the first row of J on the 767 I won't push the issue.
JAL takes orders from front to back. But they could take all orders and come back to you if they run out of your meal options. They take a couple things into account while choosing who they approach, status is one of the for obvious reasons.

1H/K have reduced legroom according to fumitani who has been on this plane too many times JAL blocks seats based on passenger status and fare types. So even if you see them as available, it could still be blocked...but I have no idea if that's the case for you. Were you able to get a JAL PNR and change the seats on JAL website?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:06 pm

JAL takes orders from front to back. But they could take all orders and come back to you if they run out of your meal options. They take a couple things into account while choosing who they approach, status is one of the for obvious reasons.

1H/K have reduced legroom according to fumitani who has been on this plane too many times JAL blocks seats based on passenger status and fare types. So even if you see them as available, it could still be blocked...but I have no idea if that's the case for you. Were you able to get a JAL PNR and change the seats on JAL website?
I do have a JAL PNR, however, when I access my reservation it only shows my AA flights, I can't even see my JL flights on JL's website with JL's PNR lol. My fare code is discounted business I and I have one world sapphire status. AA could move me to the very last row of business, but I'm hesitant since the first row of economy is probably right behind?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by umaa83
I do have a JAL PNR, however, when I access my reservation it only shows my AA flights, I can't even see my JL flights on JL's website with JL's PNR lol. My fare code is discounted business I and I have one world sapphire status. AA could move me to the very last row of business, but I'm hesitant since the first row of economy is probably right behind?
Too bad...I guess you will have to decide Seems like people who booked on AA codeshares operated by JL is having problems retrieving their reservation online recently. I thought the JBV is supposed to improve the experience
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:46 am

Too bad...I guess you will have to decide Seems like people who booked on AA codeshares operated by JL is having problems retrieving their reservation online recently. I thought the JBV is supposed to improve the experience
I will just leave the seats as is. Even if the seats have slightly less legroom, it still beats Y anyday and I'm sure the service is excellent. I've had difficulties selecting/changing seats on IB flights booked as AA codeshares as well, so its not limited to JL, but still frustrating, however, in the grand scheme of things no that big of a deal.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Flying JAL for the first time tomorrow. DEL-NRT, award ticket via BA Avios. I hold AA Gold status.

Right now, my FFP is fixed as my BA FFP which has no status, thus relegating me to row 53. My questions:

(a) Does AA Gold get me anything, such as access to better Y seats? It'll obviously be at airport check-in that I show my AA Gold card. (I brought the physical card, thinking I might need it for this particular flight.)

(b) Does JL tend to offer day-of-departure upgrades to J or some sort of premium economy product?

(c) Seatguru shows the 787 as having 30 to 32 inch pitch in Y. Any way to tell which are the 30" seats? I assume those would be bright red on Seatguru but they aren't...not much in the way of good and bad seats listed there, other than exit row and one or two seats that are missing a window.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.