Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:07 am

Any thoughts on why the NRT/HND to PEK flights on JL are only available using really old cabins?
It's a bit odd, since PVG route seems to still use the newer nice J cabins.
I wanted to redeem AA miles on NRT-PEK but it seems to be a poor use of miles given the cabin.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
Any thoughts on why the NRT/HND to PEK flights on JL are only available using really old cabins?
I wanted to redeem AA miles on NRT-PEK but it seems to be a poor use of miles given the cabin.
Off the top of my head, Id say because they are really old cabins.

Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:05 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Why not route through HKG then
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Why not route through HKG then
I did not realize that was an option, because it's kind of a roundabout route (Tokyo to HKG to PEK).
But if I can do that, I will definitely do that instead.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
For NRT I guess the answer is, because they can't fill more than a 737. But looking at what AA happily offers DFW to BOG in business class, this is actually not bad in comparison.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
JAL economy funky box

I fly JAL economy SAN - NRT several times a year. And I often get stuck in an aisle seat that has an odd metal box under the seat in front of me. So, no room to stow my backpack and barely room for my feet. It is the most foolish design I've ever seen, but I can't figure out which aisle seats have this.Maybe one of every four aisle seats have this weird box thing (entertainment electrical hub????). I'd like to know how to avoid it. Can anyone out there tell me how to avoid the darn thing when arranging my aisle seat? How do I now which aisle seats have this BEFORE I get on the plane?
Any help much appreciated. I'm almost thinking of using another airline out of LA because of this thing. JAL is the only airline I've ever flown that steals this valuable space from a passenger. Thanks much for any insight.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by kavade
I fly JAL economy SAN - NRT several times a year. And I often get stuck in an aisle seat that has an odd metal box under the seat in front of me. So, no room to stow my backpack and barely room for my feet. It is the most foolish design I've ever seen, but I can't figure out which aisle seats have this.Maybe one of every four aisle seats have this weird box thing (entertainment electrical hub????). I'd like to know how to avoid it. Can anyone out there tell me how to avoid the darn thing when arranging my aisle seat? How do I now which aisle seats have this BEFORE I get on the plane?
Any help much appreciated. I'm almost thinking of using another airline out of LA because of this thing. JAL is the only airline I've ever flown that steals this valuable space from a passenger. Thanks much for any insight.
perhaps this could help.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Jap...nformation.php
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kavade
Boxes for the entertainment system under the seats in economy class are a common occurrence on many airlines. And a common gripe for many travellers. I have never noticed one on JAL, but would not be surprised if they are there somewhere. You will most likely encounter them on other airlines as well. Seatguru does with some accuracy indicate their location for most airlines.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Boxes for the entertainment system under the seats in economy class are a common occurrence on many airlines. And a common gripe for many travellers. I have never noticed one on JAL, but would not be surprised if they are there somewhere. You will most likely encounter them on other airlines as well. Seatguru does with some accuracy indicate their location for most airlines.
You've never noticed one because when you are in Y, you are probably sitting in either exit row or bulkhead? The new SKY WIDER seats have relocated the box to underneath the seat cushion so it took up much less noticeable space too.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You've never noticed one because when you are in Y, you are probably sitting in either exit row or bulkhead? The new SKY WIDER seats have relocated the box to underneath the seat cushion so it took up much less noticeable space too.
There is a fair share of row 45, and a high share of SKY WIDER in my JAL Y flying.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: QF WP
Looking at the seat map for SIN-HND/NRT, it appears that row 16 is available on the 763. However, when choosing seats at the JAL site, I'm unable to select them. Am I missing something or it's just the way it is? And is there anything I should take notice of specifically when choosing seats with JAL?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Looking at the seat map for SIN-HND/NRT, it appears that row 16 is available on the 763. However, when choosing seats at the JAL site, I'm unable to select them. Am I missing something or it's just the way it is? And is there anything I should take notice of specifically when choosing seats with JAL?
seat availability depends on fare type and status. you will only see the ones you can select on JL website
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:34 am

seat availability depends on fare type and status. you will only see the ones you can select on JL website
Cheers. Never knew fare types come into this, but I guess what I see is what it is then. (OWE status already entered and recognized).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Cheers. Never knew fare types come into this, but I guess what I see is what it is then. (OWE status already entered and recognized).
A number of seats and rows are blocked until OLCI and some for airport control. If you can't get a decent seat now, be ready at T-72 when OLCI opens.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
A number of seats and rows are blocked until OLCI and some for airport control. If you can't get a decent seat now, be ready at T-72 when OLCI opens.
Great. Thanks. I guess it's going to be right at the front or right at the back for this trip, as it's my +1's first trip to Japan so the view out of the window is quite high on the priority list (despite it's only for about 20mins when we can see some sort of Japanese land going into HND).

Row 45 is available for one leg as well. Does the slide get into the legroom of the A/K seat, and is the window roughly normal size? (We aren't quite tall enough to find the extra legroom useful).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.