Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:26 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Mmm, I disagree. I'm not talking about the Sky Suite - I'm talking about the older one, on the "less desirable" routes like BOS and YVR. It's certainly not lie-flat. Ok, maybe not as bad as the NH 787s, but still entirely unacceptable for 2016.
It's still a flat seat not recliner.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA
JAL 787 vs AA 777

Hey guys,

So I'll be taking two kids across the pacific this year from St. Louis. Last year I had the option to go through ORD which put us in the JAL 777 Sky Wider 3-3-3 configuration which we found quite nice.

This time around, the only reasonably priced flights are out of DFW which puts us in a JAL 787 (I think the Sky Wider II 2-4-2) or the older AA 777 2-5-2 configuration. Either way I cant win since the three of us will be seated across the isle or next to another passenger. What would you guys recommend? The JAL 787 or the AA 777? Any experience you'd like to share? Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Mmm, I disagree. I'm not talking about the Sky Suite - I'm talking about the older one, on the "less desirable" routes like BOS and YVR. It's certainly not lie-flat. Ok, maybe not as bad as the NH 787s, but still entirely unacceptable for 2016.

Aren't all JL 787s retrofitted now?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:56 am

I had a nrt-jfk-dca codeshare booked for 2/16, on JAL and AA. I changed this reservation to 5/16 and my AA itinerary is correct. However when I look up the JAL one, it shows my February jfk-iad segment and then my two segments in may. I called AA and JAL to confirm I'm only booked in may and they said yes. So why is it still attached to my pnr (JAL did not know) and will it be a problem?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by moonwoo
Hey guys,

So I'll be taking two kids across the pacific this year from St. Louis. Last year I had the option to go through ORD which put us in the JAL 777 Sky Wider 3-3-3 configuration which we found quite nice.

This time around, the only reasonably priced flights are out of DFW which puts us in a JAL 787 (I think the Sky Wider II 2-4-2) or the older AA 777 2-5-2 configuration. Either way I cant win since the three of us will be seated across the isle or next to another passenger. What would you guys recommend? The JAL 787 or the AA 777? Any experience you'd like to share? Thanks!
The old 2-5-2 configs on AA are showing their age. From a seat comfort perspective, food and service perspective, there is no doubt I would prefer JL. I would go for 3 seats in a middle row in tye rear and hope the 4th would not be taken.

If you should be lucky and get an upgraded bird on AA it will be 3-3-3 in MCE and 3-4-3 for the rest. That would fix your seating options. I would still prefer JL. And you would have to check with the AA forum if that is even likely for DFW NRT.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Nope. Was on NRT-YVR about three weeks ago, wanted to jump out of the plane an hour into the flight. I have literally never been as tired from a flight as from this one.

Then when I showed the seat pic to my wife, she was like "oh remember how I swore to never fly the JAL 787 two years ago when I spent 14 hours in BOS-NRT? Yeah, that's the seat. Now you know."

SFO-HND was a welcome about-turn.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

There's no plan to retrofit
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The old 2-5-2 configs on AA are showing their age. From a seat comfort perspective, food and service perspective, there is no doubt I would prefer JL. I would go for 3 seats in a middle row in tye rear and hope the 4th would not be taken.

If you should be lucky and get an upgraded bird on AA it will be 3-3-3 in MCE and 3-4-3 for the rest. That would fix your seating options. I would still prefer JL. And you would have to check with the AA forum if that is even likely for DFW NRT.
Or he could fly in premium economy with 2-3-2 config
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Or he could fly in premium economy with 2-3-2 config
Slightly different price tag
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Slightly different price tag
Still reasonable or he could try upgrading at check-in for $300 or JPY30,000
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:21 pm

Thanks everyone for your ideas. JL premium economy sounds pretty intriguing. I will have to wait till check in since it's almost double the price to get into premium economy. Do you guys know if OW Sapphire gets to pick preferred seats on JAL (a lot of the seats are already blocked off for some reason)? I know if I flew AA, I could get one of those bulkhead 5 seaters and occupy three of them but it really sounds pretty bad being in the middle of a 5 seat middle row.

Apparently AA does not fly their retrofitted 777-200s to Asia
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone for your ideas. JL premium economy sounds pretty intriguing. I will have to wait till check in since it's almost double the price to get into premium economy. Do you guys know if OW Sapphire gets to pick preferred seats on JAL (a lot of the seats are already blocked off for some reason)? I know if I flew AA, I could get one of those bulkhead 5 seaters and occupy three of them but it really sounds pretty bad being in the middle of a 5 seat middle row.

Apparently AA does not fly their retrofitted 777-200s to Asia
JAL blocks a lot of seats in general, they will become available when OLCI opens. If you are on a JL flight number, that is 72 hours before; AA codeshare it is 24 hours before.

The bulkhead row is a bassinet position, so the seats will only become available at airport check in if not needed for that purpose.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Hey guys,

i would leave 2 seats down the middle of the 5 and hope noone would sit in them, best if you leave them out as 2*singles...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by JALPak
Different bucket
Sorry for the n00b question, but is there a pattern in whether straight award vs upgrade buckets have better availability? I'm looking to move TPAC to JL, typically booking W and then requesting UG to J, mostly NYC-TYO or NYC-TYO-XXX. No status to start, but probably getting to Sapphire by the end of the year.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:16 am

Seat Assignments

Can you reserve J & F seats through the end of the schedule or is there a specific time frame for them to load the seat maps? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.