Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
My air tickets got cheaper...

I purchased one-way premium economy ticket (E) online. The fare rule says it's changeable with no fee (also Cancellation/Refund: Non-refundable), but I need to pay the fare difference.
I tried to do change my departure date online, but somehow at the last step the system stood up and couldn't completed it...
I called JL and I was able to change my departure date plus paid $8 fare difference. The agent waved the phone booking fee due to the online error.
Now I found out the same air ticket was $200 cheaper!
Is it possible somehow I re-fare the air tickets and get the $200??? $200 in Thailand values a lot, LOL
I checked my reservation online, but now I don't even have a choice to change my reservation anymore...
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:09 am

Jal interline with SQ

Hey guys,

I need your help since this is new for me.
i booked a flight from LAX to SINGAPORE with JAL.
have s 9 hour layover in changi and have a separate flight/separate ticket from SIngapore to Bali using Singapore airlines.

will JAL allow me to interline my check in baggage with Singapore airlines? Hoping they will so i dont have to go through immigration in SIN and recheck bags

thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mattspiral8; Sep 4, 2022 at 1:21 am
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Mattspiral8
Hey guys,

I need your help since this is new for me.
i booked a flight from LAX to SINGAPORE with JAL.
have s 9 hour layover in changi and have a separate flight/separate ticket from SIngapore to Bali using Singapore airlines.

will JAL allow me to interline my check in baggage with Singapore airlines? Hoping they will so i dont have to go through immigration in SIN and recheck bags

thanks in advance!
They don't. But check Changi's homepage, they used to offer a service where the airport could find your bag and retag it. But I don't know it that service survived the pandemic. You'll need to leave decent time between flights for this to work of course. But 9 hours should be more than fine.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They don't. But check Changi's homepage, they used to offer a service where the airport could find your bag and retag it. But I don't know it that service survived the pandemic. You'll need to leave decent time between flights for this to work of course. But 9 hours should be more than fine.

aww damn. So i would have to go through immigration then? Or could i do all this without going through immigration?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
aww damn. So i would have to go through immigration then? Or could i do all this without going through immigration?
For Changi, that can be managed airside if the service is still offered.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:28 pm

For Changi, that can be managed airside if the service is still offered.

sorry to sound dumb, if it is still offered. Who do i go to talk to about that?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry to sound dumb, if it is still offered. Who do i go to talk to about that?
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news... But here is what Changi has to say on your plans:Can I transit through Singapore Changi Airport?

Under the government’s transit travel rules, passengers who arrive in Changi and plan to depart on a different airline, must have both flights booked in the same booking itinerary. Passengers must also have their checked-in luggage tagged-through from the origin airport to their final destination.
https://www.changiairport.com/en/air...e/transit.html

So unless the rules change, it seems you can't even fly your itinerary. You should check carefully. But also, the retagging service is clearly not offered currently.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:35 am

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news... But here is what Changi has to say on your plans:Can I transit through Singapore Changi Airport?

Under the government’s transit travel rules, passengers who arrive in Changi and plan to depart on a different airline, must have both flights booked in the same booking itinerary. Passengers must also have their checked-in luggage tagged-through from the origin airport to their final destination.

So unless the rules change, it seems you can't even fly your itinerary. You should check carefully. But also, the retagging service is clearly not offered currently.
Hmm i think that only applies to “transit” and not leaving airside. I believe if i just go through immigration and recheck then I am not considered “transiting.”
Going through immigration isnt that big of a deal for me, was just hoping i didnt need to go that path.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm i think that only applies to “transit” and not leaving airside. I believe if i just go through immigration and recheck then I am not considered “transiting.”
Going through immigration isnt that big of a deal for me, was just hoping i didnt need to go that path.
That does seem to be the case indeed. If you can enter Singapore.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So I’ve jumped on the new JAL program double points offer for a New York - Jakarta run in business and this will be my first time flying JAL. I’ve read a few online reviews, but they are mostly dated given the restrictions of the past couple years, so I thought my questions here would be helpful for a wider audience.

1. Is there a JAL lounge at JFK, and if not, which lounge do we use?
2. Does JAL allow online check in and do they release blocked window seats right at that time when online check in opens? It seems difficult to get a window seat in their business class
3. Are pajamas, extra pillows, slippers and a mattress pad offered on board?
4. Is an amenity kit offered and what is usually included?
5. Is transit security required for outbound transfers at Narita when arriving from the USA? Is there a priority line for business class?
6. Does JAL participate in Precheck for outbound USA flights?
7. Any other suggestions to make my inaugural trip extra memorable?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
So I’ve jumped on the new JAL program double points offer for a New York - Jakarta run in business and this will be my first time flying JAL. I’ve read a few online reviews, but they are mostly dated given the restrictions of the past couple years, so I thought my questions here would be helpful for a wider audience.

1. Is there a JAL lounge at JFK, and if not, which lounge do we use?
2. Does JAL allow online check in and do they release blocked window seats right at that time when online check in opens? It seems difficult to get a window seat in their business class
3. Are pajamas, extra pillows, slippers and a mattress pad offered on board?
4. Is an amenity kit offered and what is usually included?
5. Is transit security required for outbound transfers at Narita when arriving from the USA? Is there a priority line for business class?
6. Does JAL participate in Precheck for outbound USA flights?
7. Any other suggestions to make my inaugural trip extra memorable?
1. There is no JAL Lounge in JFK, currently JAL is using the Air France lounge
2. Yes you can use online check-in, and most blocked seats should get released for that.
3. There is no PJ, but slippers and a mattress pad are available.
4. There is an amenity kit. It contains Toothbrush Set, Earplugs, Eye Mask, Pocket Tissue, Moisture Mask
5. There is no transit security from the US in NRT but there is from Jakarta. No J priority.
6. Yes they do, but I can't remember if there is a TSA pre check line in JFK.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

3. There is no PJ, but slippers and a mattress pad are available.
….
I saw a photo of a pullover or cardigan offered in business class from an older review, was this discontinued?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw a photo of a pullover or cardigan offered in business class from an older review, was this discontinued?
That's not a PJ, but the cardigan is still there.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:23 pm

That's not a PJ, but the cardigan is still there.
I just saw on the website that it's a "lending service" not a take-home amenity like the PJs we get on other carriers.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just saw on the website that it's a "lending service" not a take-home amenity like the PJs we get on other carriers.
Indeed, just to keep you warm in the JAL cabins....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.