Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 7, 20, 4:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tokyoite
Wiki Link
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 18, 22, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by pweekes View Post
This is concerning. Iím booked on JL33 departing 10/3/22. Are you able to check loading for me to see if I am destined for the same fate?
Until end of September, the published schedule has JL33 operating on Thursday and Saturday, so unless there is an increase in flights happening, when the October schedule gets updated the 3rd will be cancelled. But there is really no knowing what JAL will do.
pweekes likes this.
Old Jul 18, 22, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; UA Gold MM; DL Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pweekes View Post
This is concerning. Iím booked on JL33 departing 10/3/22. Are you able to check loading for me to see if I am destined for the same fate?

pweekes likes this.
Old Jul 18, 22, 2:31 pm

This is good to know since I've got a similar flight on a Monday in mid-November
Old Jul 19, 22, 11:48 am

I have 2x LHR-HND in F on 7th October, followed by 2xHND-SYD in J on 16th October, both Aadvantage miles redemptions. A week long stopover in Japan, perfect, but I am starting to think of a plan B if the country isn't open to general tourism by then.

There is zero fresh award ticket availability anywhere near those dates. Is there any chance JL or AA would even talk to me about moving one of my bookings so I can simply transit HND ? Will be gutted if I have to let these redemptions go, was so hard to get them

Does JL tend to add any last minute J or F award seats on either of these routes ?

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 22, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by warberry View Post
I have 2x LHR-HND in F on 7th October, followed by 2xHND-SYD in J on 16th October, both Aadvantage miles redemptions. A week long stopover in Japan, perfect, but I am starting to think of a plan B if the country isn't open to general tourism by then.

There is zero fresh award ticket availability anywhere near those dates. Is there any chance JL or AA would even talk to me about moving one of my bookings so I can simply transit HND ? Will be gutted if I have to let these redemptions go, was so hard to get them

Does JL tend to add any last minute J or F award seats on either of these routes ?

Thanks
There can be additional inventory released, but unless more capacity comes back to the Japan EU market I don't think it is very likely to happen on JL44. BA is still not flying to Tokyo, and lots of other European routes are reduced due to Putin's war in Ukraine.
Sydney has 5 rotations a week in the September schedule, but there is still a lot of run on seats. So it is not the easiest route either.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 1:08 pm

Thanks CPH. Will just be patient for now.
Old Jul 19, 22, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by warberry View Post

Thanks
You could book PAID travel HND-xxx on oct-7 then xxx-HND on Oct 16....and spend the week 'not in japan'. Seoul? ~250 coach, 2:30 flight

IMO, the only way they MIGHT move awards is if THEY did something to 'ruin' the connections. (like they changed a flight, a time, etc)...in this case you booked at risk.

Wonder if you could book a 'tour group' to get around the tourist visa restrictions? not my cup of tea, and I expect most FTers as well.
warberry likes this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 4:20 pm

FWIW.....

https://www.travelcaffeine.com/when-...eign-tourists/

Prolly the same info as posted around here, but by someone that seems to spend a good amount of time on the subject!
Old Jul 19, 22, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
You could book PAID travel HND-xxx on oct-7 then xxx-HND on Oct 16....and spend the week 'not in japan'. Seoul? ~250 coach, 2:30 flight

IMO, the only way they MIGHT move awards is if THEY did something to 'ruin' the connections. (like they changed a flight, a time, etc)...in this case you booked at risk.

Wonder if you could book a 'tour group' to get around the tourist visa restrictions? not my cup of tea, and I expect most FTers as well.
There is no reason to wonder about that. A package tour in question includes the flights as well. You can't add it to existing flights.
Old Jul 20, 22, 12:16 pm

What is JAL's lounge policy on a international F -> Y transfer? Would I have lounge access in Narita? On their website I only saw policy discussing international F -> domestic Y.
Old Jul 20, 22, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
There is no reason to wonder about that. A package tour in question includes the flights as well. You can't add it to existing flights.
Id seen that repeated, so reached out to a tour operator. They can arrange a tour that 'connects' to my 'self- arranged flights"...either a private tour or a planned group tour.

In any event, not something Im looking to do, so didnt dig any further....
Old Jul 20, 22, 1:09 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by gmest View Post
What is JAL's lounge policy on a international F -> Y transfer? Would I have lounge access in Narita? On their website I only saw policy discussing international F -> domestic Y.
Does the Y flight have a duration < 5 hours? If so, at least you can cite the oneworld rule for access per https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges:
Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
kyushuman, warberry and gmest like this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 1:34 pm

Thanks for the helpful info and resource. Unfortunately it's SFO - NRT - HAN so NRT - HAN books in above 5 hours.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 21, 22, 9:44 am

Hi everyone,

I am seeing JAL award availability for economy and premium via British Airways but I want to book business/first. How can I find out what the fare class is so that I can set up an alert in ExpertFlyer? Many thanks!
Old Jul 21, 22, 7:02 pm

Programs: JAL JMB Sapphire & One World Sapphire
Just a quick question (asked this in Japan sub forum too)

Since KUL>NRT>KUL is not possible due to it not being considered third country in Japanese POV rules.

Would the routing work if it was KUL>BKK>NRT>KUL (KUL to BKK is under MH and rest is JL) under one JL itin or I would still get into trouble?

Do need to get into Thailand landside (not a problem with current rules but would like to avoid unncessary hassle) to check into JL BKK>NRT flight in person or it is do-able via Airside transit desk, preferably to do it KUL via MH even it is not my first choice lol.

Last edited by minizian; Jul 21, 22 at 7:11 pm

Search this Thread