Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I assume your DL flight is on a separate ticket? If yes, that is at your own risk, and I doubt JL or AA would be too eager to send you to another destination due to missing it.

In the end, the later transcon may be the only one that works out, though I would expect JAL/AA to put some effort in to getting you through the motions to reach it, but most days, the original flight does look tricky.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I assume your DL flight is on a separate ticket? If yes, that is at your own risk, and I doubt JL or AA would be too eager to send you to another destination due to missing it.

In the end, the later transcon may be the only one that works out, though I would expect JAL/AA to put some effort in to getting you through the motions to reach it, but most days, the original flight does look tricky.
I agree- they don't have to, though if I end up on a flight that has me arrive *8 hours* late, it does seem reasonable for me to ask them to get me to MSP instead. I didn't book a 90-min connection on a separate ticket. But you're right. On paper, it's not their responsibility.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by JALPak
Did you try entering the first names without spaces?
Every variation.
e.g.
JohnMarkLewis
John mark Lewis
John mark Lewis Mr
JohnmarkLewismr
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:53 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Stormbel
Every variation.
e.g.
JohnMarkLewis
John mark Lewis
John mark Lewis Mr
JohnmarkLewismr
have you tried just John Lewis? Someone reported JL MMB page wouldn’t display a QF issued award. Not sure if that’s related though.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Expecting JL717 to be delayed with most of the Asian bank over the next little while. Arriving into NRT on a JL F, continuing on JL J. Would I have access to the F lounge on arrival?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I'd try again with JAL and hopefully get a more knowledgeable rep.
That actually worked after 2 failed attempts. The infant has its own PNR and I can't seem to manage it online, but I'll trust the confirmation email.

Thanks for the encouragement
kyushuman and rustykettel like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Just for fun, JAL has delayed NRT-SFO 30 min so now it's a slightly illegal connection. I'd prefer to keep my original ticket, but obviously don't want to get stuck in SFO for nine hours till the next AA option.
There are both a JetBlue flight and a DL flight at 15:00-ish. I will broach the subject of being "protected" on one of those flights-- with the JAL lounge agents. I will also see if there is an AAgent there too, since there is a NRT-DFW AA metal flight at 18:30 leaving from somewhere in the same terminal, so maybe they'd be able to look into it.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Since I have unused miles that are going to be expired, I do plan to do some miles run in conjunction of FOP double point.
I am very curious how does this "Upgradable"' works?
Does it mean I would be using my Miles to upgrade myself to EY to Premium Econ/Business class? Or am I totally wrong with this?
If I recall correctly once log in there is section/portal for me to get Award flights but I do not recall seeing the same for cabin class upgrade (its being a while i flown so memories are fuzzy)
The last time i used miles upgrade from Prem Econ to Business is done in person by filling up forms at check-in counter few hours before my flight.

Also, if say I doing a turnaround flight to Narita which I will depart to KUL the same day. Will the ground staff still require me to do PCR before boarding? At least for the KUL arrival side there no more test required prior to arrival but what about to NRT itself. Will they treat me as if I am connecting passenger (I do plan to print the return flight during check-in in KUL which I not sure if it is possible these day)?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by minizian
Since I have unused miles that are going to be expired, I do plan to do some miles run in conjunction of FOP double point.
I am very curious how does this "Upgradable"' works?
Does it mean I would be using my Miles to upgrade myself to EY to Premium Econ/Business class? Or am I totally wrong with this?
If I recall correctly once log in there is section/portal for me to get Award flights but I do not recall seeing the same for cabin class upgrade (its being a while i flown so memories are fuzzy)
The last time i used miles upgrade from Prem Econ to Business is done in person by filling up forms at check-in counter few hours before my flight.
Upgradable means that the fare is in a class that allows you to request a mileage upgrade. In economy class, that is booking class K or above. I can't on top of my head remember the premium economy booking classes.

Once booked, you can go to manage booking, and request the upgrade. You can't see in advance (or at least I don't know how) whether your upgrade request can clear or will be waitlisted. But you can call JAL and they can see in the system.
minizian likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Upgradable means that the fare is in a class that allows you to request a mileage upgrade. In economy class, that is booking class K or above. I can't on top of my head remember the premium economy booking classes.

Once booked, you can go to manage booking, and request the upgrade. You can't see in advance (or at least I don't know how) whether your upgrade request can clear or will be waitlisted. But you can call JAL and they can see in the system.
Got it, can one actually upgrade from EY > C directly? I remember for paid upgrade they only allow EY > PY and PY > C but not EY > C. Does teh same restriction applies for mileage upgrade?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minizian
Got it, can one actually upgrade from EY > C directly? I remember for paid upgrade they only allow EY > PY and PY > C but not EY > C. Does teh same restriction applies for mileage upgrade?
From economy you can upgrade to premium economy or business with miles.

The standard paid upgrade that can be requested at the airport is from economy to premium economy only. There is the option to bid for an upgrade, which is only for passengers who receive an email inviting them to bid, this is both from economy and premium economy to businesses. Though very few reports have ticked in on these offers.
minizian likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:48 pm

Upgrade from J to F?

Hi! My first post here on Flyertalk.

I have an upcoming flight on JAL J from LAX-BKK via NRT in about 2 weeks. I booked using BA Avios (my first premium cabin redemption!) I was looking today and found some F availability on the LAX-NRT leg — will I be able to upgrade using more points to F by calling BA? I’ve waited for about 1.5 hours today with BA but no luck getting through, will attempt again this evening.

Also wondering if anyone has any tips on how to better get in contact with someone at BA to make this change other than calling their 800 number?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelod
Hi! My first post here on Flyertalk.

I have an upcoming flight on JAL J from LAX-BKK via NRT in about 2 weeks. I booked using BA Avios (my first premium cabin redemption!) I was looking today and found some F availability on the LAX-NRT leg — will I be able to upgrade using more points to F by calling BA? I’ve waited for about 1.5 hours today with BA but no luck getting through, will attempt again this evening.

Also wondering if anyone has any tips on how to better get in contact with someone at BA to make this change other than calling their 800 number?

Thanks so much!
Welcome to FT! Since this is a BA redemption, it's best to ask on the BA forum

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:07 pm

Rough day today flying JAL Business Class CGK-NRT-SFO

Here is a rundown of a fairly bad day flying on my return trip CGK-NRT-SFO (JFK) -- several negatives happened, many not JAL's fault but created a rough day. Post Covid, I think it's the best JAL can do since, in Japan at least, it's NOT Post Covid in terms of tourism and inbound travel; this means JAL can't leave anyone at NRT so literally every single NRT flight is delayed on both days I flew through here, most around an hour and some (last week) 3+ hours.

The morning started with...... a bat (!) caught by Garuda Indonesia Jakarta lounge staff (JL's contract lounge at CGK);
no main meal until around 5+ hours into the flight on CGK-NRT;
poor Japanese food on that segment-- fantastic food on the other 3 segments on this ticket.
connecting staff at NRT unable/unwilling to do anything with my already-illegal connection other than send me ahead and telling me to "talk to JAL staff in SFO" -- even with me trying to advocate that there aren't many seats left same day;
Sakura lounge NRT still has large sections closed off while the remaining sections are absolutely HEAVING with people; ironic that during Covid the solution is to make sure MORE people are in a smaller area, and not spread out;
NRT-SFO FAs were friendly but so many service errors-- first meal service took 3 hours; had to ask 2-3 times for drinks that I'd already ordered to appear;
my IFE was broken the entire flight with no options for other window seats-- they did try several times to reset it but no go;
and then the 30-minute delay listed ex-NRT became a 74 minutes delay on departure, causing missed connections. Yuck.
And no, it's not a cultural difference; I speak Japanese and lived in Japan for 6 years, and (it may not look like it from this rant) but I am always smiling, polite, and quietly speaking Japanese. Seemed much of the FAs were slightly unsure of what to do with all these issues and were overwhelmed.
At the end of the flight, I was handed a "compensation voucher" for the dead IFE. No idea how that will be handled or how much it will be, but I will definitely fill it out and report back here once it's in the works. Has anyone else gotten this before?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Here is a rundown of a fairly bad day flying on my return trip CGK-NRT-SFO (JFK) -- several negatives happened, many not JAL's fault but created a rough day. Post Covid, I think it's the best JAL can do since, in Japan at least, it's NOT Post Covid in terms of tourism and inbound travel; this means JAL can't leave anyone at NRT so literally every single NRT flight is delayed on both days I flew through here, most around an hour and some (last week) 3+ hours.

The morning started with...... a bat (!) caught by Garuda Indonesia Jakarta lounge staff (JL's contract lounge at CGK);
no main meal until around 5+ hours into the flight on CGK-NRT;
poor Japanese food on that segment-- fantastic food on the other 3 segments on this ticket.
connecting staff at NRT unable/unwilling to do anything with my already-illegal connection other than send me ahead and telling me to "talk to JAL staff in SFO" -- even with me trying to advocate that there aren't many seats left same day;
Sakura lounge NRT still has large sections closed off while the remaining sections are absolutely HEAVING with people; ironic that during Covid the solution is to make sure MORE people are in a smaller area, and not spread out;
NRT-SFO FAs were friendly but so many service errors-- first meal service took 3 hours; had to ask 2-3 times for drinks that I'd already ordered to appear;
my IFE was broken the entire flight with no options for other window seats-- they did try several times to reset it but no go;
and then the 30-minute delay listed ex-NRT became a 74 minutes delay on departure, causing missed connections. Yuck.
And no, it's not a cultural difference; I speak Japanese and lived in Japan for 6 years, and (it may not look like it from this rant) but I am always smiling, polite, and quietly speaking Japanese. Seemed much of the FAs were slightly unsure of what to do with all these issues and were overwhelmed.
At the end of the flight, I was handed a "compensation voucher" for the dead IFE. No idea how that will be handled or how much it will be, but I will definitely fill it out and report back here once it's in the works. Has anyone else gotten this before?
Compensation for no IFE & WiFi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.