Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by loganre17
Have a self-connecting itinerary YVR-NRT-BKK on AC and JL, respectively. Is it possible that JAL agents in YVR check me in for the latter flight?

Seeing as I need a boarding pass for the transfer bus in NRT.
No, they can't do that in YVR, you would need to get an online boarding pass or get it in Narita. You don't need a boarding pass for the bus, a print of your e-ticket will be enough.
loganre17 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
At the ORD Flagship Lounge, I'd already checked in for the AA segment JFK-SFO, so they were in my record but she still couldn't really assign seats.
it was comical watching the JL rep and the AA rep trying to assign me a seat. Really shouldn't be this hard in 2022.
JL rep can see open seats, AA rep fairly clueless about the process, but in the end I was able to secure window seat for the one segment I didn't have it, on the return next week. All staff were nice; the "comedy" was seeing how complicated this process was.
In other news, JL rep said Row 5 was full already for tomorrow's flight, about 30 hours before the flight. I will ask again at check in, as I'm currently in 12A, the last row of C before Economy, but if not I'll be fine!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:51 pm

Hi, I am looking to make a cash booking for BKK-TYO in J some time in December. However, JL shows very spotty availability on this route despite EF showing many unsold seats. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding what might be going on here?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:02 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tamagoyaki
Hi, I am looking to make a cash booking for BKK-TYO in J some time in December. However, JL shows very spotty availability on this route despite EF showing many unsold seats. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding what might be going on here?
Not everyone assign their seats in advanced. Also JL availability depends on POS and routing, e.g. you could see LAX-TYO-BKK available in I bucket but not for BKK-TYO. These all have to do with yield management.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:26 am

Hello I have booked a JAL flight booking via BA.

When I try to manage my booking on JAL website it does not recognise it.

I have tried everything, what am I doing wrong?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by france77
Hello I have booked a JAL flight booking via BA.

When I try to manage my booking on JAL website it does not recognise it.

I have tried everything, what am I doing wrong?
You might need to get the JAL PNR from BA, can't remember if that is different from the BA one.

Award or codeshare booking?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Adding lap infant to partner booking

Hi Team,

I used my last 50k Alaska miles for a JAL J redemption from SIN to HND.

To add a lap infant, airlines I had previously used (SQ, TG) required a simple call and the payment of some taxes to get the deal done.

AS however is telling me that they do not issue lap infant tickets (they are asking for the same price as an adult ticket which is now sold out anyways) even though JAL usually only charges 10% for an infant. Meanwhile JAL is telling me that they cannot edit the booking as it was made by AS.

Are there any workarounds for this? The JAL call center agent mentioned "it might be possible to add the infant during checkin" but that sounds like a risk I'd want to avoid.

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You might need to get the JAL PNR from BA, can't remember if that is different from the BA one.

Award or codeshare booking?
Codeshare booking and they use same PNR, can't understand why I can't log in
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by france77
Codeshare booking and they use same PNR, can't understand why I can't log in
codeshare probably is the reason. Given it’s a BA marketed flight, you should be able to see it via BA MMB page.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by SkyRunner04
Hi Team,

I used my last 50k Alaska miles for a JAL J redemption from SIN to HND.

To add a lap infant, airlines I had previously used (SQ, TG) required a simple call and the payment of some taxes to get the deal done.

AS however is telling me that they do not issue lap infant tickets (they are asking for the same price as an adult ticket which is now sold out anyways) even though JAL usually only charges 10% for an infant. Meanwhile JAL is telling me that they cannot edit the booking as it was made by AS.

Are there any workarounds for this? The JAL call center agent mentioned "it might be possible to add the infant during checkin" but that sounds like a risk I'd want to avoid.

Thanks!
Since this is an AS award, that forum would be the best place for answers . This thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...020-later.html

and particularly this one starting at #32.

Partner Awards With Lap Child

I'd try again with JAL and hopefully get a more knowledgeable rep.
SkyRunner04 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Looking at JAL Flight Status over the past 2 weeks, flights for NRT-SFO and return nearly EVERY DAY have been between 1 to 3+ hours late. I realize this is because nobody can be left in Japan overnight; so, if one of the BKK/CGK/MNL/KUL/SIN etc flights is late, ALL of the USA connections must be held, even for a handful of pax. And as one of those pax last week flying SFO-NRT-CGK, I was super relieved when they held the flights since mine was more than an hour late. Less fun was that the SAN-NRT flight was 4 hours late, so we all had to wait for those pax.

This Wednesday I'm flying back CGK-NRT-SFO, which wouldn't bother me if it were late but this is a connecting ticket to SFO-JFK (booked on same ticket) with 110 minutes connection time, which is plenty in SFO..... but-- based on the last 2 weeks of JAL delays every day, there is almost no chance of me making the SFO-JFK transcon. The next one is 10 hours later, a redeye to boot.
It's an AA codeshare, which JAL generally doesn't want to touch. When I check in in CGK, I'll already know if the SFO connection has blown up, but somehow this being JAL nobody at CGK will want to touch my ticket-- even thought JAL's at fault-- and they'll send me on to NRT and then to SFO to have AA deal with it there. Sound right? I do see some Qatar Airways connections that would work but I see JAL dealing with it that way as about 1% chance.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt they are going to do anything in Jakarta, it because it is an AA codeshare ticket, but more likely that the delays are not going to be confirmed by the time that the flight departs, and they will prefer to have Tokyo deal with the issue. One option could be to send you to a US gateway with a better connection to New York. It might be worth while to look at alternative routings from Tokyo to New York, to be armed with suggestions.....
​​​​​​
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by JALPak
codeshare probably is the reason. Given it’s a BA marketed flight, you should be able to see it via BA MMB page.
Following on with a similar problem I booked a redemption flight on the BA site and can see it there. It's a JL flight (HND-BKK) so not a code share.
I would like to select my seat and believe that as they are Business and I am OW Sapphire one of those should let me do so, however the JL website and app don't recognise what I am inputting. I keep getting a message that either my booking is cancelled or the details are incorrect.
Are there any oddities in what I am inputting? I have 3 first names but they never appear in ba bookings. I've tried one, two and all three and also adding MR as I believe that can cause problems!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stormbel
Following on with a similar problem I booked a redemption flight on the BA site and can see it there. It's a JL flight (HND-BKK) so not a code share.
I would like to select my seat and believe that as they are Business and I am OW Sapphire one of those should let me do so, however the JL website and app don't recognise what I am inputting. I keep getting a message that either my booking is cancelled or the details are incorrect.
Are there any oddities in what I am inputting? I have 3 first names but they never appear in ba bookings. I've tried one, two and all three and also adding MR as I believe that can cause problems!
Did you try entering the first names without spaces?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I doubt they are going to do anything in Jakarta, it because it is an AA codeshare ticket, but more likely that the delays are not going to be confirmed by the time that the flight departs, and they will prefer to have Tokyo deal with the issue. One option could be to send you to a US gateway with a better connection to New York. It might be worth while to look at alternative routings from Tokyo to New York, to be armed with suggestions.....
​​​​​​
Good point. Thanks for your input!
1) This is partially a BA Tier Points run, so would prefer to still get an AA transcon if it can work with my schedule. That would give 420 TPs on CGK-NRT-SFO-JFK. Also the AA transcon is full flat bed.
2) But I have a LGA-MSP flight at 06:00 the next morning on DL. If that is blown up due to the delays, then I will ask JL (AA?) to get me to MSP directly on the 29th (via DFW is avail, for example). Likely have a better chance rebooking to a new destination with AA than with JL, even though it's JAL's fault and I do have a ticket for the next morning. I'm thinking not many people are empowered at JL to make decisions, and historically the airline is so well run that really they didn't have so many major delays. So front line staff will likely just apologize a lot and send me on to the next station.... this is based on 6 years in Japan. And Japan doesn't change much.... Otherwise,
3) JAL has a flight NRT-LAX that would connect to AA transcon to JFK but.... JL isnt' selling anything above Y+ on that flight on Wednesday 6/29. Hasn't been for a week. Seems to be avail the day before and after! Only SFO seems to be wide open. Next flight after my 13:00 is at 22:00.
4) I can see a few seats on NRT DFW on AA, but then I'd get 100 less Tier Points. If they can get me to MSP instead of NYC, I'd do that.
5) I plan to not check any luggage (though I'd love to, not a fan of carrying bags through airports and even have travel insurance this time!) and maybe this will be the one day SFO is on time?
To be honest, I really am not too fussed about this-- but it helps to be prepared for connection troubles if/when it comes up and know my options!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.