Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
A friend booked an "economy special saver" award on JAL from LAX-HND for late June for $294. With it being a non-refundable saver fare, is JAL currently making exceptions if Japan is still closed to either change or refund flights?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
If I cancel 5x J (LAX-HND and KIX-LAX), will the award seats go back into inventory? Because as soon as I can muster the strength to cancel my family trip for this summer, I'll be letting go of that. I am having such a hard time pulling the trigger.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:15 am

Does anyone know if its common or feasible to route HKG to LHR via Tokyo?

Reason I am asking is unfortunately due to Covid-schedules, I cannot just use Google Flights.

I am contemplating a switch to JMB yet HKG-LHR is my most common route; I cannot figure out if this is a common practice and if it makes sense economically. It seems like more and more people are routing through Singapore and Qatar instead.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:19 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by CX HK

Reason I am asking is unfortunately due to Covid-schedules, I cannot just use Google Flights.

I am contemplating a switch to JMB yet HKG-LHR is my most common route; I cannot figure out if this is a common practice and if it makes sense economically. It seems like more and more people are routing through Singapore and Qatar instead.
given the situation of Russian airspace, there are going to be limited flights between Japan and Europe.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

It is not really the most practical routing. Currently, it is impossible as all flights from Hong Kong are coming in to Narita and the London flights departs from Haneda.

Assuming we get back where the schedule used to be, the JAL flight from Hong Kong to Haneda arrives between 20:00 and 21:00, and there is a London flight leaving around 02:30. There might be a later CX flight for a JAL codeshare to shorten the layover.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

nope, it’s definitely not economical compare to QR and BA.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is not really the most practical routing. Currently, it is impossible as all flights from Hong Kong are coming in to Narita and the London flights departs from Haneda.

Assuming we get back where the schedule used to be, the JAL flight from Hong Kong to Haneda arrives between 20:00 and 21:00, and there is a London flight leaving around 02:30. There might be a later CX flight for a JAL codeshare to shorten the layover.
Originally Posted by JALPak
nope, it’s definitely not economical compare to QR and BA.
Thanks for the responses. I suppose a few hours in Haneda isn't the worst thing, especially if I just route through Tokyo for one year to get to JGC first. Big question will be how much more I'll have to pay and whether that extra cost (and time) is worth it just to secure OWS status.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Oneworld pleb, Accors Hotel Gold
Does anyone know of possible good deals from Europe to MNL via JAL? It seems for JAL the cheapest economy is 1200 after summer - does anyone know any cheaper options? I can also reposition within Asia (assuming COVID rules allow) but the end point is to get to MNL. Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:52 pm

Recently bought an open jaw on JAL, with the first part being LAX-KIX-BKK. My Osaka to Bangkok flight was cancelled so I am now flying LAX-TYO-BKK. It seems that my fare class was changed from Q to Y during the rebooking. Will I get more miles added to my AA program, or will it stay with the original Q fare class after the flight?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
Recently bought an open jaw on JAL, with the first part being LAX-KIX-BKK. My Osaka to Bangkok flight was cancelled so I am now flying LAX-TYO-BKK. It seems that my fare class was changed from Q to Y during the rebooking. Will I get more miles added to my AA program, or will it stay with the original Q fare class after the flight?
If your e-ticket now shows Y as booking class, then likely yes that is what AA will assign points based on.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:11 pm

I have a buddy who booked a NRT-LAX zipair flight for August, and will be booking a separate flight from SEL (ICN/GMP) to NRT on the same day. If Japan doesn't open up, and he needs to recheck his luggage, that will end up being an issue since he can't enter Japan.

Zipair doesn't have a flight from Seoul to NRT that will make it in time for the NRT-LAX flight on the same day, but JAL does. If he books the SEL-NRT route on JAL, is there an interline agreement where he can check his bags through SEL-NRT-LAX on two separate PNRs without the need to recheck his bags at NRT?

EDIT: for future reference, took 4 hours but he finally got on with someone from JAL who said there is no interline agreement with Zipair even though they own the company. So he would have to be able to enter Japan to get his bags and then check them in for the Zipair flight.

Last edited by seigex; Apr 11, 2022 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AE*E, Hyatt Diamond, AAdv, BA Exec
FT experts. I know this is all up in the air but what do you think about Japan not being open to tourists prior to March 2023. Organizing a trip with family to Vietnam and love to stop in Tokyo. Just booked a flight with that stopover (using Alaska miles) and wondering if I want to deal with the potential pain of changes/border restrictions etc vs just going straight to Vietnam. Any help will be appreciated!
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seigex
I have a buddy who booked a NRT-LAX zipair flight for August, and will be booking a separate flight from SEL (ICN/GMP) to NRT on the same day. If Japan doesn't open up, and he needs to recheck his luggage, that will end up being an issue since he can't enter Japan.

Zipair doesn't have a flight from Seoul to NRT that will make it in time for the NRT-LAX flight on the same day, but JAL does. If he books the SEL-NRT route on JAL, is there an interline agreement where he can check his bags through SEL-NRT-LAX on two separate PNRs without the need to recheck his bags at NRT?

EDIT: for future reference, took 4 hours but he finally got on with someone from JAL who said there is no interline agreement with Zipair even though they own the company. So he would have to be able to enter Japan to get his bags and then check them in for the Zipair flight.
That is quite the logical consequence of an LCC operation. Any added complication is avoided.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That is quite the logical consequence of an LCC operation. Any added complication is avoided.
I figured as much, with that LCC operation he's likely out the cost of the flights based on their refund rules, so I'm trying to help him find a way to salvage it. Short of carryon only (won't happen with a large family) or the grace of Zipair (rules say case-by-case only), I'm not seeing a way.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seigex
I figured as much, with that LCC operation he's likely out the cost of the flights based on their refund rules, so I'm trying to help him find a way to salvage it. Short of carryon only (won't happen with a large family) or the grace of Zipair (rules say case-by-case only), I'm not seeing a way.
It is not really the grace of Zipair, as the check in across tickets would happen from JAL side. And "the rules clearly says no" would kick in here. They would actually have to do something that the system does not allow them to do, not something the system says they should not do but it is possible to do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.