Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: Independent
Does anyone have suggestions for the best 773 J seats for couples? It seems like window-aisle is the obvious choice, but nothing seems particularly great from a sleep perspective for the aisle partner. Is the last row somehow better because it's more private?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA, QR, SQ, BA, Marriott, IHG, Hilton
I understand that Japan is still not allowing visitors but what if I have a layover that starts at one airport and ends at another? Will I be allowed to travel between the airports or is that a no go?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:33 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by trixter
I understand that Japan is still not allowing visitors but what if I have a layover that starts at one airport and ends at another? Will I be allowed to travel between the airports or is that a no go?
Visitors cannot enter Japan period. Doesn't matter if you are just traveling between airports.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by trixter
Impossible because you’d have to “enter” Japan to do this, and it’s not allowed. Only same airport transit.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: AA, QR, SQ, BA, Marriott, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by JALPak
Visitors cannot enter Japan period. Doesn't matter if you are just traveling between airports.
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Impossible because you’d have to “enter” Japan to do this, and it’s not allowed. Only same airport transit.
Thanks for the confirmation!
tetudc likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:53 pm

I am planning a round trip to Osaka from LAX this winter. For the return trip, I must avoid HND-LAX (JL16) since it will use a 787-9 in the E92 config with SS III. To make things worse, ITM-NRT will likely not operate. So what I am planning to do is to forcibly split the return trip into ITM-HND and then NRT-LAX by multi-city booking since this route won't show up with a simple round trip booking between LAX and OSA. I believe this will be a single-ticket booking, so I will be protected in case I miss the NRT-LAX flight due to a delay/cancellation of the ITM-HND segment. Is this assumption correct?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kentauta
I am planning a round trip to Osaka from LAX this winter. For the return trip, I must avoid HND-LAX (JL16) since it will use a 787-9 in the E92 config with SS III. To make things worse, ITM-NRT will likely not operate. So what I am planning to do is to forcibly split the return trip into ITM-HND and then NRT-LAX by multi-city booking since this route won't show up with a simple round trip booking between LAX and OSA. I believe this will be a single-ticket booking, so I will be protected in case I miss the NRT-LAX flight due to a delay/cancellation of the ITM-HND segment. Is this assumption correct?
There is generally no protection on connections between HND and NRT. Though in practical terms they will probably be fair as long as you scheduled reasonable time, and there is a significant delay. But YMMV.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is generally no protection on connections between HND and NRT. Though in practical terms they will probably be fair as long as you scheduled reasonable time, and there is a significant delay. But YMMV.
Thanks. Right. I expect delays on the air side will be reasonably handled by JL but nothing for the ground portion (though they may be kind enough to cover that depending on the circumstances). I will give ample time for transit.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:51 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
I am going to Japan in early December, on JL5. Japanese citizen. I'll be self-isolating for 14 days at the Excel Tokyu hotel inside Terminal 2 of Haneda Airport.

How long should I expect it be from landing at T3 to arriving at my hotel in T2? I heard they recently switched to a faster saliva-test, is that true?

Also, do they bring me from the arrival terminal (Haneda Terminal 3) to Terminal 2 or do I have to secure transportation? Am I allowed to use the intra-terminal bus/monorail?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mhy; Oct 23, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Old Oct 23, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhy
I am going to Japan in early December, on JL5. Japanese citizen. I'll be self-isolating for 14 days at the Excel Tokyu hotel inside Terminal 2 of Haneda Airport.

How long should I expect it be from landing at T3 to arriving at my hotel in T2? I heard they recently switched to a faster saliva-test, is that true?

Also, do they bring me from the arrival terminal (Haneda Terminal 3) to Terminal 2 or do I have to secure transportation? Am I allowed to use the intra-terminal bus/monorail?

Thanks in advance.
monorail and intra-terminal shuttle are public transportation and technically you are not allowed to take public transportation upon arrival. I am not even sure if the shuttle driver would let you board the shuttle when you have all the checked luggages with you indicating you've just landed at T3.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 1:50 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by JALPak
monorail and intra-terminal shuttle are public transportation and technically you are not allowed to take public transportation upon arrival. I am not even sure if the shuttle driver would let you board the shuttle when you have all the checked luggages with you indicating you've just landed at T3.
So how do I get from T3 to T2, need an Uber or hired car?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhy
So how do I get from T3 to T2, need an Uber or hired car?
I am just stating the rules of no public transportations and recommend you follow them. I don’t know how Japanese government expect you to get to your quarantine place nor how they will enforce the no public transportations rules.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mhy
I read that the quarantine office runs runs a shuttle bus to take returning passengers (after passing the saliva-based test) starting their 14-day quarantine to hotels in the HND, Kamata, Kawasaki, and Shinagawa areas. This may take you to your hotel.

This is old info but says so in Japanese:
https://www.forth.go.jp/keneki/tokyo.../200714-01.pdf
空港周辺~蒲田、川崎、品川駅周辺までに限り、検疫所が周回バスを運行しています(7月29日 現在) 。詳細は待機中にご確認下さい。
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mhy

Thanks in advance.
About two hours from landing until all formalities are over and test result is ready.

The only allowed option is having someone drive you, or walking. In the but weird setup, you can have friends or family pick you up and drive you from the airport, or certain pre booked car services, normal taxis are not allowed. Though the prebooked might not be thrilled about a very short ride from T3 to T2, but I guess revenue is revenue.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:31 am

Showers at Haneda during COVID?

I'll be transiting HND in early November and note that the lounge is closed unless you are Emerald OW (I am only Sapphire).

Is there anywhere else in HND terminal that is open during these strange COVID times that I could have a shower? I assume I am dreaming of feeling fresh and awake heading onto my second flight but thought I'd ask!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.