Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 7, 20, 4:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tokyoite
Wiki Link
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 11, 20, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
Well, when you live only 30 minutes away from HND, have a car, and want to earn brownie points with the miss, doing the early morning dash to the airport and back isn't too much of a hustle.
Traffic is non-existent, HND parking is free for the first 30 minutes, so in and out before I need to pay parking, and I will not have to do the "will the upgrade clear or not" Russian roulette game.
11K sakitoku, 8k F upgrade, meaning 19K in F for 2.5hrs flight is still cheap enough to kick start a Okinawa weekend getaway.
I don't do this for CTS/FUK or ITM. Too short to make sense in F.
the things we do in the name of travel enthusiasm!
It was not the price the upgrade I was wondering about, but the willingness to pay someone to go to the airport on the flyers behalf and process the request in advance. That's the cost I find quite questionable. Then again the last fool has not been born, so if that makes people happy, why not.

I could drive in 23 minutes here on a rainy afternoon with some traffic, that still does not make me more keen on the run in the morning. Of course that would require 600 yen per way in toll fees to do it in that speed. But I have a way to avoid both the morning rush, and the Russian roulette.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:09 pm

What does jal charge for lap child on af? The website is very unclear
Old Jun 11, 20, 3:53 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by masterdave1 View Post
What does jal charge for lap child on af? The website is very unclear
I assume you meant award redemption. You will need to purchase infant fare with AF.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...eage.html#tabs
  • Awards issued for children and infants who occupy their own seat require the same mileage as those issued for adults.
    Infants sharing a seat with an adult cannot travel on an award ticket and must instead have a purchased ticket issued at the infant fare for the same class of service as accompanying adult.
    • *Terms and conditions may differ depending on the partner airlines. Please check the details with the relevant airline.
Old Jun 17, 20, 12:16 am

Programs: JMB
JAL advertises that tickets bought between now and 7/31:

12 June, 2020

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your patronage of the JAL Group.
To provide our customers with as much flexibility as possible with the current travel restrictions,
we have updated our reservation policy so that you can change your travel dates without penalty.
Reservation dates may be changed free of charge, irrespective of the standard fare rules, on all current international fares.

<Eligible Fares and Booking Period>
All international fares* that fit the following criteria (Standard, Saver, Special, Special Saver fare types):
・Purchase date: 6/11/2020(Thu) - 7/31/2020(Fri)
・Travel date: Flights departing any date within 360 days from the date of purchase.
*Flight from Indonesia to Japan is not applicable.
As an example, if you purchase a new ticket departing in August 2020,
you can change the departure date to November or even later as many times as
you like up to and including July 31st, 2020, without paying additional fees.

For further information, please see the website below.
http://121.jmb.jal.com/?4_--_135888_--_525442_--_1

Currently, JAL contact centers are experiencing very high call volumes.
We apologize for any inconvenience that possible delays may cause you.
The JAL Group remains committed to you. Our teams are continuously
working to provide you with greater flexibility during this challenging situation.
Thank you for your continued loyalty, and we look forward to seeing you onboard again soon.

Sincerely,

Japan Airlines
So if I buy a ticket with Special Saver fare and want to change it, this will be free even if there's no Special Saver fare available for the new date? It's only necessary that the booking class (f.e. Y+) has free seats?
Old Jun 17, 20, 2:15 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Seyan View Post
JAL advertises that tickets bought between now and 7/31:

So if I buy a ticket with Special Saver fare and want to change it, this will be free even if there's no Special Saver fare available for the new date? It's only necessary that the booking class (f.e. Y+) has free seats?

As a result of the change the applicable fare amount and/or rules may change. If the fare amount changes this amount will be payable.
If a fare with a restricted departure period was originally purchased and the date is subsequently changed to a date outside the permitted departure period a different fare will be applied and may result in a fare difference being charged as well as a change of fare rules.
fare difference applies.
Old Jun 23, 20, 2:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
JAL advertises that tickets bought between now and 7/31: So if I buy a ticket with Special Saver fare and want to change it, this will be free even if there's no Special Saver fare available for the new date? It's only necessary that the booking class (f.e. Y+) has free seats?
changing fee is waived (free changes). But, fare difference will still apply.
If you buy a saver fare for $600, with a change fee of $150, and you want to change to another date in the future when the same special saver fare costs $1000, you will have to pay the difference of $400 (1000-600), but no need to pay the change fee of $150. Only applies to your first change. For the second change, then the change fee of $150 will be collected.
In short, don't buy if you don't plan to use the ticket (and are not sure you will be able to use the ticket).
Old Jun 23, 20, 4:08 am

The idea was the following:

Booking a ticket for feb. (going for Kyoto Marathon) and if I'm not allowed to enter Japan in feb because of Covid-19 I want to move it to June (trying to go for IM 70.3 Nagoya).
Currently the ticket is in feb. is discounted. But if the fare difference applies there's no need to buy the ticket new.
Old Jun 25, 20, 9:23 pm

The idea was the following:

Booking a ticket for feb. (going for Kyoto Marathon) and if I'm not allowed to enter Japan in feb because of Covid-19 I want to move it to June (trying to go for IM 70.3 Nagoya).
Currently the ticket is in feb. is discounted. But if the fare difference applies there's no need to buy the ticket new.
when did you buy the February ticket? ticket validity is 1 year from purchase, and then 1 year from the first flown leg. So, if you buy now (June 26th), then your ticket is valid until June 25th 2021 regardless of whether you change the flight from February. Latest you can fly your first leg would be June 25th 2021 (if you buy the ticket today).
Seyan likes this.
Old Jun 28, 20, 8:34 am

changing fee is waived (free changes). But, fare difference will still apply.
If you buy a saver fare for $600, with a change fee of $150, and you want to change to another date in the future when the same special saver fare costs $1000, you will have to pay the difference of $400 (1000-600), but no need to pay the change fee of $150. Only applies to your first change. For the second change, then the change fee of $150 will be collected.
In short, don't buy if you don't plan to use the ticket (and are not sure you will be able to use the ticket).
Reading the JAL website description, I'm still a little confused about whether the change fee waiver allows cancellations. If cancellations are allowed, are they in the form of an actual refund or airline credit?
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jun 28, 20, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by freckles123 View Post
Reading the JAL website description, I'm still a little confused about whether the change fee waiver allows cancellations. If cancellations are allowed, are they in the form of an actual refund or airline credit?
When cancellations are allowed, refund to original form of payment. JAL does not offer vouchers.
freckles123 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 2:46 am

when did you buy the February ticket? ticket validity is 1 year from purchase, and then 1 year from the first flown leg. So, if you buy now (June 26th), then your ticket is valid until June 25th 2021 regardless of whether you change the flight from February. Latest you can fly your first leg would be June 25th 2021 (if you buy the ticket today).
I haven't bought a ticket by now. It's just an idea. But I suspect Japan won't allow EU tourists to enter Japan in the near future, so buying a ticket for 02/2021 doesn't sound like a good idea...
Currently I'm more concerned about our 12/2020 tickets (bought in 02/2020 before Corona crisis started). My thoughts: flight will take place at 99%, entry permission < 10%. So if we're not allowed to enter Japan because of Corona but the flight isn't cancelled, the money will be lost?
Old Jul 1, 20, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't bought a ticket by now. It's just an idea. But I suspect Japan won't allow EU tourists to enter Japan in the near future, so buying a ticket for 02/2021 doesn't sound like a good idea...
Currently I'm more concerned about our 12/2020 tickets (bought in 02/2020 before Corona crisis started). My thoughts: flight will take place at 99%, entry permission < 10%. So if we're not allowed to enter Japan because of Corona but the flight isn't cancelled, the money will be lost?
Seeing that the EU put Japan on the allowed list, I would imagine that they are working hard on getting a reciprocal agreement from Japan. Hopefully things are not that far off.
Old Jul 1, 20, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Seeing that the EU put Japan on the allowed list, I would imagine that they are working hard on getting a reciprocal agreement from Japan. Hopefully things are not that far off.
Let's hope for the best but the current situation doesn't look very good for european tourists.
Old Jul 1, 20, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
not gonna happen any time soon. each country on that list has an underlying reason why it is on the list (EU centric reason).
the EU wants Japanese business travelers to resume business work in EU. Trading companies, exporters, importers of tech, pharma, shipping and car related industries.
No such similar hunger from Japan to need EU travelers to resume travel into Japan. Same for Korea.
I live in Tokyo, so I can share the sentiment on the ground.

Here is my view of this EU list.
--------
Business needs
Japan
South Korea
China (subject to confirmation of reciprocity)
- For China, seems EU couldn't say NO, but couldn't say YES either. Too much business travel and tourist travel to lose out on inspite of the risks.
Hence the weird reciprocity clause. No other country has been asked for confirmation of reciprocity it seems.
--------
other than the large immigrant populations from here, wonder why.
Algeria
Australia
Morocco
Tunisia
--------
Just neighbors?! why not all neighbors then?
Georgia
Montenegro
Serbia
--------
Special cases
Thailand - inspite of the high infection rates, the lucrative palace and military VVIPs otherwise wouldn't be able to vacation and spend lavishly in Europe!
(UAE should join this EU list shortly, using the same line of thought)
--------
Plainly, ??? scratch my head.
Rwanda
Uruguay
--------
Old Jul 1, 20, 4:48 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
JAL will refund your ticket if there’s travel restrictions that prevent you from traveling to japan but if you buy the ticket from a third party their policy and penalty apply as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: