Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by minizian
I am curious, if JGC Sapphire member take another OW carrier flight?

What would be showing on the boarding pass. Mine when taking MH it was shown as "JMGM/Sapphire" is this normal or it should be shown as "JGCM"?

Just asking this when I was doing some random google search on JMGM and also wondering will happen if I present green JGC card next year if I am downgrade to green when I took MH.
It depends on the carrier, and how well integrated the systems are. For some carriers my status just show as Emerald, some show the full JMLM/Emerald.

It will work fine, you will get Sapphire services just as now just by registering the card. You can just show the card if you want to accrue elsewhere but use JGC for lounge access. Just be careful, as some airlines defaults to setting your FFP on the booking to the one you use for lounge access. BA is particularly strict in this.
minizian likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It depends on the carrier, and how well integrated the systems are. For some carriers my status just show as Emerald, some show the full JMLM/Emerald.

It will work fine, you will get Sapphire services just as now just by registering the card. You can just show the card if you want to accrue elsewhere but use JGC for lounge access. Just be careful, as some airlines defaults to setting your FFP on the booking to the one you use for lounge access. BA is particularly strict in this.
Ah well noted, I do not have other FFP on my end other than MH which and will be stuck in base level for quite some time.

For MH, the lounge they actually scan the boarding pass before entering (I did not ask about the "showing card part") i did not show my card to them except during check in just to make sure all details are correct to prevent complication..

So I supposed one will need to change the FFP at the check in counter before they print out the boarding pass.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by minizian
Ah well noted, I do not have other FFP on my end other than MH which and will be stuck in base level for quite some time.

For MH, the lounge they actually scan the boarding pass before entering (I did not ask about the "showing card part") i did not show my card to them except during check in just to make sure all details are correct to prevent complication..

So I supposed one will need to change the FFP at the check in counter before they print out the boarding pass.
If they only scan your boarding pass, that means the card with the status is also the one you accrue (with exception of some very fine technicalities that usually fail anyway) so there will be no problems.
minizian likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
If they only scan your boarding pass, that means the card with the status is also the one you accrue (with exception of some very fine technicalities that usually fail anyway) so there will be no problems.
Well understood, thank you for answering my questions.^
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:47 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dmatthew
Hi all, I just booked a J ticket that's code share with American Airlines with the following itinerary:

JL 746 (Boeing 787)
MNL - NRT

AA 8436 (Boeing 767)
NRT - YVR

AA 8435 (Boeing 767)
YVR - NRT

JL 745 (Boeing 787)
NRT - MNL

Any suggestions on best seat for both segments (787 & 767)? Also is Wifi complimentary if you are flying in J?

Thanks!
WiFi is only complimentary in F
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: MPC Gold
ok thanks JALPak !
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:45 am

*After contacting JAL themselves, they were able to fix the issue on their end*

Every time I try to register for JAL Mileage Bank, I get the same error no matter what:

Please enter "City (HOME)" in the correct format within 30 alphanumeric characters.

Can anyone help me figure out how to make this work?

Last edited by dxwwf3; Jan 14, 2020 at 6:02 pm Reason: JAL Fixed The Problem After An Email
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:51 am

Baggage allowance on BA Avios ticket

Hi i've been directed here by the friendly members in the BA forum.
I booked an avios ticket for HND to CTS in economy. On my confirmation it says 2x23kgs checked baggage. Is this correct? Or will it be a standard 20kg domestic allowance? On this particular flight i'm not too worried since it's a B777 and i can stow my hand baggage in the cabin.
I want to book another avios redemption from CTS to MMB and those aircraft are small so i cannot take my hand baggage on board. Here is where i want to know if it is definitely 20kg as i would need to pay for excess kgs otherwise.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Ssammie; Jan 16, 2020 at 7:52 am Reason: edit
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:03 pm

International online checkin?

Is it possible to check-in online when traveling internationally? I am traveling from JFK to TPE and the flight leaves at 11am but I will be over nighting in the JFK airport. I need to get the boarding pass so I can access the American lounge while I wait.

Realize domestically it's not an issue but internationally haven't had much success checking in online.

Last edited by ZBigFam; Jan 19, 2020 at 12:43 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Is it possible to check-in online when traveling internationally? I am traveling from JFK to TPE and the flight leaves at 11am but I will be over nighting in the JFK airport. I need to get the boarding pass so I can access the American lounge while I wait.

Realize domestically it's not an issue but internationally haven't had much success checking in online.
You can do online check in. But as the AA lounges close overnight I am not sure they will let you in the day before your flight. You should also check if the terminals are open overnight, or you will be sent out after the last flight.

I would guess you are arriving on a separate ticket in to JFK. Otherwise you'd get your boarding passes with that flight. You have noted that AA and JAL are not in the same terminal?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:20 pm

You can do online check in. But as the AA lounges close overnight I am not sure they will let you in the day before your flight. You should also check if the terminals are open overnight, or you will be sent out after the last flight.

I would guess you are arriving on a separate ticket in to JFK. Otherwise you'd get your boarding passes with that flight. You have noted that AA and JAL are not in the same terminal?
Yep I have a whole thread on my overnight stay in the terminals in case you are interested:

Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

My main concern is whether I can get my jal boarding pass by checking in online. I've had mixed success with that with other airlines so was wondering about user experiences with JAL on flights leaving jfk
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Yep I have a whole thread on my overnight stay in the terminals in case you are interested:

Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

My main concern is whether I can get my jal boarding pass by checking in online. I've had mixed success with that with other airlines so was wondering about user experiences with JAL on flights leaving jfk
I will add my vote to the people saying the TWA hotel in that thread.

I have not tried with AA, but often when lounges closes overnight you'd have to argue pretty strongly to get lounge access the day before on an originating ticket. So I'd have my doubts that you'd get in to the AA lounges when arriving. The one closing the latest is any way at 1am, so it is just about an hour you'll get before you will be sent to an airport bench until they reopen at 4:15am should you manage to get in.

I assume you do not have luggage to check, as that would force you to go landside. And once land side, would TSA let you in again, with a ticket for the following day. While the terminal seemingly does not shut down, the TSA check points do shut down overnight while there are no flights.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: Cathay, JGC
Help with double checking mileage calculation

Hi! Was looking at a flight to Bueno Aires and wanted to ask if my miles and FOP calculations were correct? Only 400 FOP difference between option A and B, depending if I book with JL or AA?

Ive got JGC Sapphire and this should all be business class with 125% earning.

Option A:
JL4 HND-JFK(Miles : 17,228/FOP:8,804),
AA953 JFK-EZE(Miles:12,223/FOP:6,643),
AA954 EZE-JFK(Miles:12,223/FOP:6,643),
JL5 JFK-HND(Miles:17,228/FOP:8,804).
Total Miles:58,902/FOP:30,894

Option B:
AA8496 HND-JFK(Miles : 17,228/FOP:8,404),
AA953 JFK-EZE(Miles:12,223/FOP:6,643),
AA954 EZE-JFK(Miles:12,223/FOP:6,643),
JL5 JFK-HND(Miles:17,228/FOP:8,804).
Total Miles:58,902/FOP:30,494

Sorry if this is a bad format to ask these questions in. Many thanks in advance!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

800 points difference, as you'd get 400 boarding FOP on the JFK HND flight, which you have forgotten to subtract on the AA version.

Would need to check if there is a difference in the miles earned bonus for JGC between AA and JL to say if that is correct.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: Cathay, JGC
800 points difference, as you'd get 400 boarding FOP on the JFK HND flight, which you have forgotten to subtract on the AA version.

Would need to check if there is a difference in the miles earned bonus for JGC between AA and JL to say if that is correct.
Thanks for helping to check! It was showing up as JL5 on GF so wasn't really sure about the extra 400FOP, but guess it makes sense they wouldn't give it. For AA it also seems they would give the same 105% bonus miles (mile-up bonus) for JGC sapphire holders?

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/fly...us.html#mileup

I think it costed around USD1,300 more to book this on JL instead of AA, so wanted to see if I'd be missing out on loads of miles/FOPs.

Thanks again! ☺

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.