Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Typhoon Advice

Might be worthy of an its own thread, but I’ll start here: am booked out of HND to Itami at 8:30 Sunday and at the moment that looked like it’ll be typhoon adjacent. I assume that this happens frequently enough that JAL know what they’re doing, but would appreciate knowing what to expect.

Have the USA-Tonga game to get to in the afternoon, but obviously a “backup” Shinkansen ticket runs ĄĄĄ so not a light undertaking...
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by etiene
Might be worthy of an its own thread, but I’ll start here: am booked out of HND to Itami at 8:30 Sunday and at the moment that looked like it’ll be typhoon adjacent. I assume that this happens frequently enough that JAL know what they’re doing, but would appreciate knowing what to expect.

Have the USA-Tonga game to get to in the afternoon, but obviously a “backup” Shinkansen ticket runs ĄĄĄ so not a light undertaking...
What are your specific flights? That's already in your post. Sorry.

Generally yes, JAL know what they are doing. But are generally not issuing a week and half of rebooking window before they even know where and when the typhoon effect will be.
etiene likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It does look like Tokyo could be right in the track of the typhoon Sunday morning, but that could change many times before Sunday. Friday morning is a better time to assess if there will be an impact. Until then I'd just wait and watch if it was me.
etiene likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
What are your specific flights? That's already in your post. Sorry.

Generally yes, JAL know what they are doing. But are generally not issuing a week and half of rebooking window before they even know where and when the typhoon effect will be.
It does look like Tokyo could be right in the track of the typhoon Sunday morning, but that could change many times before Sunday. Friday morning is a better time to assess if there will be an impact. Until then I'd just wait and watch if it was me.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear: I’m not aiming to do anything quite yet - more looking to understand what JAL do in the event that the typhoon is disrupting flights...

Ta!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry if I wasn’t clear: I’m not aiming to do anything quite yet - more looking to understand what JAL do in the event that the typhoon is disrupting flights...

Ta!
Cancel the necessary minimum of flights, rebook passengers as needed and possible. Cancellations usually come quite late, and close in. And no rebooking waivers, but wait for cancellations.
etiene likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Alliance policy trumps JAL policy
Hi, I don't gave alliance status. It is just a first class ticket that allows one guest on the "same flight". Looking at posts online it seems it doesn't matter. But it seems JAL is strict? What if I take more of a risk and book a non-Jal flight (but same alliance)?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Hi, I don't gave alliance status. It is just a first class ticket that allows one guest on the "same flight". Looking at posts online it seems it doesn't matter. But it seems JAL is strict? What if I take more of a risk and book a non-Jal flight (but same alliance)?
There are also oneworld rules for first class tickets. That say guest flying on a Oneworld flight. So no problem bringing a guest on a partner flight, as long as that partner is from OW.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:03 pm

There are also oneworld rules for first class tickets. That say guest flying on a Oneworld flight. So no problem bringing a guest on a partner flight, as long as that partner is from OW.
Oh wow. But what if JAL says not at lounge checkin? Website states "First class passenger is welcome to invite one guest on the same flight." and I confirmed by email has to be same flight not just 2 JAL flights on same day.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:17 pm

Do airlines still allow the automatic transfer of luggage between 2 alliance airlines like a smaller commuter flight and a bigger flight like international? I remember flying Great Lakes airline and my luggage automatically transferred to another larger domestic flight as they had a contract with each other.

Would a AA flight luggage transfer to a JAL international flight on separate tickets?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:26 pm

Do airlines still allow the automatic transfer of luggage between 2 alliance airlines like a smaller commuter flight and a bigger flight like international? I remember flying Great Lakes airline and my luggage automatically transferred to another larger domestic flight as they had a contract with each other.

Would a AA flight luggage transfer to a JAL international flight on separate tickets?
Seems like Delta has interline agreement with AA?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:49 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

That's a question for AA not JAL
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA does generally not transfer luggage between separate tickets, unless they have reversed their decision on that again. As mentioned, a question for the AA forum, they will have the newest info. JAL generally does.

The existence of an interline agreement does not mean that the airlines does it across separate tickets, it just means that they are allowed to check through luggage, the specifics of when and how is up to the airline.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ta!
Seems the typhoon has been speeding up, it will now pass Tokyo the night between 12 and 13, so looks to have less influence in domestic flights in the Tokyo area Sunday.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Seems the typhoon has been speeding up, it will now pass Tokyo the night between 12 and 13, so looks to have less influence in domestic flights in the Tokyo area Sunday.
yes.
status as of 9am today 8th October.
日=day, 時 = hour.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
yes.
status as of 9am today 8th October.
日=day, 時 = hour.
That's a pretty old one by now, that's from yesterday morning when Tokyo's Sunday morning still was supposed to get the brunt of the storm

2 hours 40 minutes ago:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.