Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 8:41 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by mhy
The page is confusing...https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/service...k/diamond.html
"First class domestic passengers departing from this airport on the day. Or passengers connecting to a same-day JAL flight with a first class reservation."

On the Japanese version of the page the text reads "JAL国内線ファーストクラスにて当日当該空港よりご出発または同クラスに当日お乗り次のお客さ ま" where I can only assume the "同クラス(same class)" means "国内線ファーストクラス" in the previous paragraph.

This is separately followed by the rules for passengers connecting to/from international first class. Maybe I should call them to ask...
Quick update by the way. I just spoke to JAL domestic customer service and they confirmed I can use the Diamond/Premium Lounge at both ITM and CTS. Yippee!!! I told them (in Japanese) that the language on the English site was a bit confusing compared to the Japanese site (they should make it clear that they're referring to "Passengers connecting to a same day domestic first class JAL flight"!)

So to anyone planning a same-day mileage run within Japan - it might be a good idea to use Japan Explorer Pass to do 2-3 segments and then a domestic First Class ticket (regular fare) - that gets you in the domestic first class lounges for ALL legs

Last edited by mhy; May 22, 2019 at 7:59 am
Old May 21, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by calberkeley89
Hey Flyer Talk JAL flyers,

Every year I take the family to Japan to see family. Usually, we have enough Marriott points to transfer over and get our tickets booked as international award reservations however, our trip this year requires us to be really flexible in our plans, and the chance that we may need to cancel our award reservation is quite high.

I have checked JAL's site and I just want to make sure I am interpreting it correctly. Is it true that as long as I cancel our reservation at least 2 days before our departure date, we will receive a refund of all our miles, fuel surcharges and taxes, less the cancellation fee of approx 3000yen per ticket?
3100 yen per ticket, if you are a member in Japan, you can also choose to have 3100 miles deducted.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: krisflyer
Flying from LAX-KIX, then KIX-HND. Will it be a fuss-free/easy transit in KIX? First time there.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by makrxx
Flying from LAX-KIX, then KIX-HND. Will it be a fuss-free/easy transit in KIX? First time there.
Quite easy. Immigration, pick up luggage, customs, proceed to domestic bag drop. All in the same terminal. KIX is fairly easy to deal with.
​​​
Old May 21, 2019, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Quite easy. Immigration, pick up luggage, customs, proceed to domestic bag drop. All in the same terminal. KIX is fairly easy to deal with.
​​​
Ah, so my bags will not be checked through? Thanks.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, so my bags will not be checked through? Thanks.
They will, but customs clearance will take place at your point of entry to Japan, so you will need to retrieve them and bring through customs. A pretty painless process in Japan.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:54 am

They will, but customs clearance will take place at your point of entry to Japan, so you will need to retrieve them and bring through customs. A pretty painless process in Japan.
Thank you!

At LAX and HND, are they strict on being able to check in the maximum of 3 hours prior to departure?
Old May 22, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you!

At LAX and HND, are they strict on being able to check in the maximum of 3 hours prior to departure?
I think LAX has been expanded to 3.5 hours. As the security flow can take a lot of time at TBIT. Or at least they tend to open early. Before the 3.5 hours mark there is literally no one around to check you in.

In Haneda, you can check in as soon as the counters open, around 5:30am.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I think LAX has been expanded to 3.5 hours. As the security flow can take a lot of time at TBIT. Or at least they tend to open early. Before the 3.5 hours mark there is literally no one around to check you in.
OP is on JL69, so staff would be there around T-4 or slightly before for JL61. Looking at my records, I'm pretty sure we checked in before T-3 there.

ETA: Found it! Had boarding pass in hand at T-3:45, so checked in slightly before that. Coach, no status, and check-in staff made no mention about needing to wait. OP, I think you'll be fine.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:14 pm

In Haneda, you can check in as soon as the counters open, around 5:30am.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
OP is on JL69, so staff would be there around T-4 or slightly before for JL61. Looking at my records, I'm pretty sure we checked in before T-3 there.

ETA: Found it! Had boarding pass in hand at T-3:45, so checked in slightly before that. Coach, no status, and check-in staff made no mention about needing to wait. OP, I think you'll be fine.
Thanks! Want to go a bit earlier to check out the OW and JL lounge.

Is the ‘Los Angeles International Lounge’ a JAL lounge separate from the One World Business Class lounge?
Old May 23, 2019, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! Want to go a bit earlier to check out the OW and JL lounge.

Is the ‘Los Angeles International Lounge’ a JAL lounge separate from the One World Business Class lounge?
There is no JAL operated lounge in LAX, just the Oneworld Business Class lounge
Old May 23, 2019, 12:20 am

There is no JAL operated lounge in LAX, just the Oneworld Business Class lounge
Thanks. Was slightly confused as I saw this from OW website.

I see the general ''oneworld Los Angeles Lounge'', and below it ''Los Angeles International Lounge'' with JAL listed under the Airlines.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LAX

Last edited by makrxx; May 23, 2019 at 12:27 am
Old May 23, 2019, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Was slightly confused as I saw this from OW website.

I see the general ''oneworld Los Angeles Lounge'', and below it ''Los Angeles International Lounge'' with JAL listed under the Airlines.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LAX

Ah, now I understand your question. Sorry for being slow in the uptake. The Los Angeles International Lounge is for premium economy passengers.
makrxx likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:38 pm

Upgrade from Co-Share

I am booked on a JAL flight from SGN-NRT on an ticket purchased from American in Y economy. Is it possible to use JAL points to upgrade? Thank you.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:52 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by randyr6
I am booked on a JAL flight from SGN-NRT on an ticket purchased from American in Y economy. Is it possible to use JAL points to upgrade? Thank you.
not for codeshare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.