Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 6:17 am

Does anyone have insight into schedule timing for HND-JFK? It seems to depart at 10:40am until about a week before daylight savings time. It then switches to 11:05am.

The reason I ask is because I often connect GMP-HND and that first flight arrives at 10:10am normally, but they switch it to 10:05am on the same date to meet the min connection time. Just wondering why they make it seasonal and not possible to connect year round (possible year round on ANA I believe).

Last edited by bejis00; May 3, 2019 at 10:45 am
Old May 3, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bejis00
Does anyone have insight into schedule timing for HND-JFK? It seems to depart at 10:40am until about a week before daylight savings time. It then switches to 11:05am.

The reason I ask is because I often connect GMP-HND and that first flight arrives at 8:10am normally, but they switch it to 8:05am on the same date to meet the min connection time. Just wondering why they make it seasonal and not possible to connect year round (possible year round on ANA I believe).
8:10 or 8:05, neither would be a MCT problem for 10:40 that's more than two hours. Problem the US is on daylight saving time, Japan is not using DST. So either deoarture time or arrival times of the flights need to shift. Plus prevailing winds in the seasons does have effect on the flying time which needs to be factored in as well.

When exactly does JAL change the time for the HND JFK flight?
Old May 3, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
8:10 or 8:05, neither would be a MCT problem for 10:40 that's more than two hours. Problem the US is on daylight saving time, Japan is not using DST. So either deoarture time or arrival times of the flights need to shift. Plus prevailing winds in the seasons does have effect on the flying time which needs to be factored in as well.

When exactly does JAL change the time for the HND JFK flight?
Sorry, I made a mistake. I meant the first daily GMP-HND is arriving either 10:10am or 10:05am, not 8am.

To answer your question, it looks like Oct 27 is the date it moves back 25 minutes. That's exactly 1 week before DST.

Although what's interesting is that it doesn't seem to switch back next March. It stays at 11:05am.

Also, I couldn't find an official word from JAL on the MCT at HND for intl-intl. For ANA I know it is 45 minutes.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Also, I couldn't find an official word from JAL on the MCT at HND for intl-intl. For ANA I know it is 45 minutes.
Per EF, JAL:

Code:
Minimum Connect TimesShare Results
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .30  2.00  2.00  1.00
OFFLINE   .30  2.00  2.00  1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
JL-JL II  1.00 ALL  - FLT 5000 - 5999 
JL-JL II  1.00 ALL  - FLT 7030 - 7999 
JL-JL II  1.00 FLT 5000 - 5999 - ALL  
JL-JL II  1.00 FLT 7030 - 7999 - ALL  
JL-JL II   .50
Fyi, NH MCT changes to 75min for certain flight combination effective Mar 29 of next year. Presumably that's when they start shifting some of their international flights from TIAT.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Sorry, I made a mistake. I meant the first daily GMP-HND is arriving either 10:10am or 10:05am, not 8am.

To answer your question, it looks like Oct 27 is the date it moves back 25 minutes. That's exactly 1 week before DST.

Although what's interesting is that it doesn't seem to switch back next March. It stays at 11:05am.

The 27th will be the weekend where airlines generally shift from summer to winter schedule. And the rest of the world with DST, apart from the US, switches back. It is interesting that JAL does not do an adjustment later, but I guess they have their reasons

For March 2020, I would not consder that fixed yet.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:40 pm

anyone knows the rules for mix cabin award booking for PARTNER booking? Can I get free upgrade if the J cabin becomes available since 2nd leg is already in J?
I tried looking online but can't find any answers. thanks!

Last edited by xgeorge1; May 6, 2019 at 9:46 am
Old May 6, 2019, 1:35 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by xgeorge1
anyone knows the rules for mix cabin award booking? Can I get free upgrade if the J cabin becomes available since 2nd leg is already in J?
I tried looking online but can't find any answers. thanks!
there’s no mixed booking assuming you are talking about redemption on JL
Old May 6, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by JALPak

there’s no mixed booking assuming you are talking about redemption on JL
Yes sorry for vagueness on last post, I am trying to book EK (Emirates) via JMB, but 1st leg is in Y right now while 2nd leg is in J
just wondering what is the cost (if there is any) if the 1st leg opens up in J? Thanks
Old May 6, 2019, 11:39 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
I will be flying JL736 from HKG -> NRT in June.

Can I use in-town checkin on the day before at HK station as it will be conveniently on the way back to my hotel?
Will it save time (flight is in J and no checked bags so probably not a huge deal?)

Edit: Found the answer on JAL website https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/airpo...parture_system

Passengers using the Airport Express can check in at the counters in Hong Kong or Kowloon stations from 06:00 until 90 minutes before the flight departure time.
I guess not possible on the day before, but 1.5 hours before checkin counters at the airport open so that gives me more time in the Cathay lounges

Last edited by mhy; May 6, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Old May 9, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
OWS's Baggage allowance in Y

Dear All

Can't seem to get this answered, the checked in agent in SIN couldn't advise too

JAl's website shows that their own sapphire member gets an extra bag of 23kg, do OneWorld Sapphires get it to?

The standard allowance is 2x23kg

So do Oneworld Sapphires get 3x23kg for HND-SIN in Y?

Thanks
Old May 9, 2019, 4:02 pm

Hi everyone,
Does JAL allow infant in First class cabin using BA Avios? I am planning to book for my wife and 1 yrsold baby from LAX - NRT - SGN. First leg is F , 2nd leg is J.
I checked JAL website but could not find the answer.
Thank you
Old May 9, 2019, 4:31 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi everyone,
Does JAL allow infant in First class cabin using BA Avios? I am planning to book for my wife and 1 yrsold baby from LAX - NRT - SGN. First leg is F , 2nd leg is J.
Thank you
you need to check with BA. It’s BA redemption so BA rules apply.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi everyone,
Thank you
Generally, BA charges 10% of the adult ticket Avios for an infant ticket, whereas JAL charges 10% of the adult fare. However, for the details with BA, as pointed out, please ask in the BA forum
Old May 10, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Cathay, JGC
How much FOP can I expect?

Just got off the JL7 flight from Boston and am now waiting for my MH701/JL7093 flight in the lounge. On my e-ticket receipt it shows flight JL7093 with an "operated by Malaysian Air" but on my boarding pass it just shows MH071. I asked at the transfer desk if I can get a new boarding pass with a JL number on it and they said they couldn't and just handwrote "codeshare flight : JL7093" on it. Just wanted to know if I'll get 4173 or 6659 FOP for this flight? Anyway I can make sure I'll get 6659 FOP? Or should I just forget about it and expect 4173 FOP? Thank you!
Old May 10, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kijhkijh
Just got off the JL7 flight from Boston and am now waiting for my MH701/JL7093 flight in the lounge. On my e-ticket receipt it shows flight JL7093 with an "operated by Malaysian Air" but on my boarding pass it just shows MH071. I asked at the transfer desk if I can get a new boarding pass with a JL number on it and they said they couldn't and just handwrote "codeshare flight : JL7093" on it. Just wanted to know if I'll get 4173 or 6659 FOP for this flight? Anyway I can make sure I'll get 6659 FOP? Or should I just forget about it and expect 4173 FOP? Thank you!
You will get the FOP based on the factor 1.5 for an Asian region JAL flight and the 400 boarding FOP for a JAL flight. No need to do anything, and it does not matter what is printed on the boarding pass, as long as your ticket is booked as the JL flight.

Most often it would say "Sold as JL7093" on the boarding pass, but not always.
kijhkijh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.