Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 26, 18, 4:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tokyoite
Wiki Link
Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 8, 19, 7:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Voda_boy View Post
Hello
I have a flight with JAL, NRT to PEK. Within 12 hours of landing at PEK I then have a flight (separate ticket) with S7. Will JAL be happy to check my luggage through to my final destination? Or will they only check it through to PEK.
Thank you
I've generally found JAL to be cooperative with these kinds of requests. Just tell them that you'd like to check through your ticket to (wherever), they will ask you for your PNR/reservation info on S7, and they should be able to check it through.
Voda_boy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 19, 7:36 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
It is a stated benefit that JAL will check luggage through to other Oneworld carries on a separate ticket. You'll still carry the responsibility for the connection yourself.

Bring a print of your second e-ticket It makes things easier..
Voda_boy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 19, 8:13 pm

Programs: JL
Quick question on the JAL card business check-in benefit. I知 not yet even a Crystal, but got approved for one of the Club-A cards recently. Does the business class check-in benefit apply even if departing from an overseas airport on a JAL-issued ticket on JAL metal? For example, if departing NRT-MNL, I知 sure that the benefit would be recognized at the counter, but what about on the return leg MNL-NRT? Would I be able to check in at the business class counter in Manila on an economy ticket, or would I have to stick with the regular economy line because I hold no oneWorld or JAL status?
Old Mar 9, 19, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mizunara View Post
Quick question on the JAL card business check-in benefit. I知 not yet even a Crystal, but got approved for one of the Club-A cards recently. Does the business class check-in benefit apply even if departing from an overseas airport on a JAL-issued ticket on JAL metal? For example, if departing NRT-MNL, I知 sure that the benefit would be recognized at the counter, but what about on the return leg MNL-NRT? Would I be able to check in at the business class counter in Manila on an economy ticket, or would I have to stick with the regular economy line because I hold no oneWorld or JAL status?
I値l let others give the formal answer to this question but informally (this applies to MNL and other places too), I usually show up about 70 minutes before flight departure - by then, most people have checked in, and then I go straight to the business class counter regardless what class I知 flying. I致e had many occasions where I致e made status on one airline and was going for another (ie I had no 砺isible status, though could produce an elite card if asked) and nobody has EVER asked me to prove being eligible to use the business class counter. Not once.

So I wouldn稚 worry about this. Just use it and enjoy it.
Old Mar 9, 19, 8:34 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Mizunara View Post
You can use all business class check in for economy class flights at all JAL International check in counters. You should be able to show them your credit card, whether they will actually ask is another question. But if you come at a time where the counters are busy, I am sure they will.

You can't use the benefit of you are travelling on a tour package, if you are on a JL codeshare (JL marketed but not operated flight), for domestic flights (including ones that connect to international), or for flights that does not have a business class cabin. You can't bring fellow travellers, they would need to have their own card to be eligible.
Mizunara likes this.
Old Mar 9, 19, 9:40 pm

Programs: JL
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
You can use all business class check in for economy class flights at all JAL International check in counters. You should be able to show them your credit card, whether they will actually ask is another question. But if you come at a time where the counters are busy, I am sure they will.

You can't use the benefit of you are travelling on a tour package, if you are on a JL codeshare (JL marketed but not operated flight), for domestic flights (including ones that connect to international), or for flights that does not have a business class cabin. You can't bring fellow travellers, they would need to have their own card to be eligible.
Awesome, thanks. I have a couple trips between now and Crystal (and eventually Sapphire/JGC) where this値l come handy.
Old Mar 10, 19, 1:06 pm

I don't see as much info about JL's elite status as I do for BA and CX. How easy it is to achieve OW Sapphire and maintaining it with JL's program?
Old Mar 10, 19, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I don't see as much info about JL's elite status as I do for BA and CX. How easy it is to achieve OW Sapphire and maintaining it with JL's program?
It depends if you're in Japan or not. If you're in Japan, it's a little bit easier to achieve it, because your first flight earns +5,000 FlyOn Points if you have a JAL Card (effectively, 5000 EQM). The hard part about JL's status is you're required to fly 50% of your flights on JL metal (or at least JL codeshares), which isn't easy as most JL fares aren't cheap - America to the US, for instance, is significantly cheaper, and CX to Europe is usually cheaper as well. So it becomes an economical challenge, unless you can do some mileage runs.

The earning is also not great. Economy fares rarely earn 100% (only full fare does), and they even have a discount business that earns 70%, which is a bit of a shocker. So it's not trivial to earn the status, though maintaining it, IF you are in Japan, is easier via the JAL Global Club since it requires no flying, just a credit card.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 16, 19, 1:56 am

Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
I noticed we can't redeem an international award ticket on JL through Japan?

I tried to look for award space on SIN-USA/EU but it doesn't allow anything for destination other than Japan. In this situation I guess to book this award ticket I would need to call the hotline?
Old Mar 16, 19, 2:09 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck View Post
I noticed we can't redeem an international award ticket on JL through Japan?

I tried to look for award space on SIN-USA/EU but it doesn't allow anything for destination other than Japan. In this situation I guess to book this award ticket I would need to call the hotline?
That has changed a while back, only to/from Japan awards. You will need to redeem 2 awards for your itinerary
Old Mar 16, 19, 2:25 am

Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
That has changed a while back, only to/from Japan awards. You will need to redeem 2 awards for your itinerary
I see, so one roundtrip for SIN-JAPAN and one for JAPAN-elsewhere. wow, gonna take lots of points... I guess I have to show them my itinerary during check-in, and need to calculate the MCT.
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:03 pm

Any info regarding JL's 777x new FC cabin?
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:33 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Gino Troian View Post
Any info regarding JL's 777x new FC cabin?
there won稚 be any since JL isnt a 777X customer
Old Mar 18, 19, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

there won稚 be any since JL isnt a 777X customer
Sorry, you're right - I meant the A350-1000, will this feature the new F or are they going to discontinue ?
Old Mar 18, 19, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Gino Troian View Post
Sorry, you're right - I meant the A350-1000, will this feature the new F or are they going to discontinue ?
No rumours yet. But I doubt very much that JAL will cut F.

I see a problem in the A350 replacing the 77W, it is too small. The 77W allows for a 2-3-2 for SS7, where the narrower cabin of the A350 will probably only allow for 2-2-2, ending up giving quite a cut in both premium and Y capacity compared to the 77W. So I am stil crossing my fingers for a 777X finding its way to JAL's fleet for the premium long haul plane. There are still some unidentified orders on Boeing's list
Gino Troian likes this.

Search this Thread