Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:47 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I just processed an upgrade request for a return flight, outbound was availble, but inbound is waitlisted. However, I was charged the points for the upgrade in both directions. Is that the normal way? When putting both legs on waitlist, the points are only charged if/when the upgrade clears, and only payment for one leg at a time if they don't clear at the same time. ,
not normal at all. Give them a call, perhaps both legs got cleared LOL
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seyan
Again I have to question you hope you can help with this one...
We have made our booking with JAL (11 hours flights FRA-NRT) already a few months ago. We also bought railway tickets at that time to get to the airport aorund 2,5 hours before departure which was always enough time to check-in, do the security check and get a coffee before departure.
Now, because we have some stupid idiots at the airport who refuse to use modern security methods, they (the airport people) say we should be at the airport at least 3 hours before departure because the line at the security check can be very long (45-60 minutes due to holidays). As we can't modify the railway tickets (only possibility would be buying new ones), it can happen that if check-in also takes time, we will be standing in the security line when the last call happens. My question now: how does JAL handle these cases? Are they waiting for us (as baggage will already be inside the airplane), will they try to get us into a priority line (or do I have to mention this to the security by myself if boarding will be soon) at the security check or do they just depart without us?

Yeah, I know, the best solution would be to modify the railyway tickets, but even if we do that that case could happen. FRA airport currently sucks :/
they overexagerated it. U’ll be very fine.
the problem stems from the security check right at the gate. The germans are super anal for the last few years so airlines (jl and cx mainly) hushes everyone to the security from lounge like an hour out. I cleared immigration (which is after checkin and quite a walk before security) at 50 mins before and still have a few minutes in the lounge (despite they hv cleared it) and get the money from tax refund.
even then i still had a short wait at security.

theres nothing after security, so you’d be fine
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

not normal at all. Give them a call, perhaps both legs got cleared LOL
I'll call them if I don't get the upgrade AND the miles don't come back....
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:03 am
Original Poster

I'll call them if I don't get the upgrade AND the miles don't come back....
Then you will get compensation
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:25 am

After booking my Emirates award using JAL miles, I notice that it "errors out" when I try to look up the award reservation on the JAL mileage bank site but it shows up fine on the Emirates website. Is this normal?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:59 am

Jal f/j avml

Hello FT members,
Any pointers to the AVML food quality/quantity on JAL F/J. Pictures, if available, appreciated.
I am thinking of booking a transpacific leg. NRT-ORD
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
It is really strange, expertsflyer shows millions of economy seats available for 8/18 and 8/28 from PVG - HND, and BA has no award seats available for economy...

Is JAL intentionally blocking BA award booking?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tommys888
It is really strange, expertsflyer shows millions of economy seats available for 8/18 and 8/28 from PVG - HND, and BA has no award seats available for economy...

Is JAL intentionally blocking BA award booking?
Does Expertflyer show them as available in an award booking class? Or just as unassigned on the seat map? On both days logging in as a JMB member everything from Shanghai to Tokyo is waitlisted for awards.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:40 am

Does Expertflyer show them as available in an award booking class? Or just as unassigned on the seat map? On both days logging in as a JMB member everything from Shanghai to Tokyo is waitlisted for awards.
Ah I might be wrong - I did not check award booking on expertflyer, I just checked the unassigned seat map... Is there difference? I thought unassigned seats are open for cash booking or points booking...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tommys888
Ah I might be wrong - I did not check award booking on expertflyer, I just checked the unassigned seat map... Is there difference? I thought unassigned seats are open for cash booking or points booking...
no, not everyone who bought a ticket can/will assign seats in advanced.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no, not everyone who bought a ticket can/will assign seats in advanced.
That. Plus not all seats available for cash are available for points. (until the happy day in December when dynamic awards goes live that is)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:55 am

That. Plus not all seats available for cash are available for points. (until the happy day in December when dynamic awards goes live that is)
is JL like CX which opens tons of awards just a few days before departure?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:09 pm

I just made the switch to JMB from Qatar PC last year. I am mainly interested in the JGC semi lifetime program. And with the crazy devaluation Qatar made a few months ago, I am so glad I made the switch, but it renders my 120k miles a bit useless. Screw Qatar, they treat their PC members badly now

I am based in Asia. So I chose JMB over Marcopolo as the JGC seems more interesting and I missed my OW Emerald on Qatar. Since I have a baby, I did not fly as much so my Qatar PC status has dropped. And after flying JAL, I really love the food onboard (and their SAKE!)

So now I will qualify to be JMB Sapphire member (after I do a JAL mileage run), and I am still confused after reading JAL website (maybe 5x now re-reading it) and JALPak's FAQ. So my questions are:

1) After I qualify for JMB Sapphire in Jan 2019, do I get automatically get invited to JGC? Or let's say if I wanted to join only in November 2019, would it be possible? I want to see if I can re-qualify, so that I won't waste my 5000 miles.

2) If I get my JMB Sapphire and go into the JGC program, do I get a JGC Sapphire or Premier?
If I look at the website :graphic, I have the association that I will get the JGC Premier (sorry I am still unable to post URL), but after reading JALPak's FAQ, I am not so sure now. Can anybody clarify me on this?

3) Is there a Fly On Points calculator for One World flights? I will be flying in Qatar Qsuite to NYC and I would like to know my exact Fly On Points so that I can plan future flights before the year is over.

4) Will I get upgraded in status one time per year, or if let's say I qualify for JMB Sapphire before the Calendar Year end, can I get upgraded before December?

I wish JAL's website is more clear, but it still confuses me after reading it more than 5 times.

One bonus question is: Is there a better OW airlines mileage plan in Asia? My only concerned for JMB is that I cannot fulfil the minimum JAL Fly On Points, as I mainly fly JAL to Japan. And the Calendar Year calculation is a bit of a nuisance, since other airlines did it in a rolling basis.

Thank you for answering!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

I don’t see a point of delaying the JGC application unless you just want to have JMB Sapphire. If you are to join the JGC, there’s no way to avoid the 5,000 initiation fee for overseas members.

you only get JGC Sapphire, you won’t get bumped to JGCP.

There’s no partner flight FOP Calculator. Just use the IATA TPM and multiply it by your acural rate.

status is based on what you’ve accumulated by Dec 31 every year. You can jump from nobody to Diamond if you’ve flown enough.

If you don’t fly JL enough, then any other ow program is going to be better than JMB. They don’t require you to fly their own metal as much as JAL does for status purpose.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
If you don’t fly JL enough, then any other ow program is going to be better than JMB. They don’t require you to fly their own metal as much as JAL does for status purpose.
Agreed, if you don't plan on flying on JAL often, then JMB would be useless for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.