Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Red259
I booked a JAL flight for HND-JFK but it leaves in the morning and there doesn't seem to be any direct flights to JFK from HND in the evening. When I explore new lounges I like to try out everything including some of the fancy alcohol etc. Would they even have that out in the morning? I never drink in the morning but if there is some high end stuff I have never had I may want to give it a try, but don't know if it would draw strange looks or not even be possible.
switch to Narita, or just enjoy the haneda F lounge and drink in the morning.
The bar is open 24/7, and selection is the same.
You will not be alone in partaking strong drinks in the morning. It’s Japanese style!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Tokyoite

switch to Narita, or just enjoy the haneda F lounge and drink in the morning.
The bar is open 24/7, and selection is the same.
You will not be alone in partaking strong drinks in the morning. It’s Japanese style!
Is it really? I never noticed that rofl
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum
I'm already OWE through QF and am about to hit JGC Premier with JL. Based on your experience is it still worth pushing to diamond or stop here and look at gaining status elsewhere? Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Comet21
I'm already OWE through QF and am about to hit JGC Premier with JL. Based on your experience is it still worth pushing to diamond or stop here and look at gaining status elsewhere? Thanks in advance!
There is very little difference between the two levels In practical terms there is no reason to push for it
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:41 pm

I'm booking NRT-HNL in J in a few weeks. The flight I want is waitlist only, but there are other flights that day. Can I book the flight that is available then waitlist the flight I want? Is that an option that JAL supports?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Frindle
I'm booking NRT-HNL in J in a few weeks. The flight I want is waitlist only, but there are other flights that day. Can I book the flight that is available then waitlist the flight I want? Is that an option that JAL supports?
If you are talking cash tickets, then yes. Our corporate TA does it often for me. If you are talking about an award redemption, no they don't support that.

For the cash option, I guess you need a TA or call them.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you are talking cash tickets, then yes. Our corporate TA does it often for me. If you are talking about an award redemption, no they don't support that.

For the cash option, I guess you need a TA or call them.
Awards, sorry, been one of those weeks.

Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
~

Originally Posted by cowie
I'm flying KUL-NRT-SIN on JAL in business (an award ticket issued by Alaska, if that matters). I understand that I am allowed 3 x 32kg bags on these sectors. On the outbound, I'm planning to connect from NGO, also on JAL, but in domestic economy. I understand that I am allowed 20kg baggage on this sector. But I have read elsewhere in these forums that if I were to book this domestic ticket on a Japan Explorer Pass or Yokoso fare, it will somehow be "tagged" to my international ticket and I will be offered "international baggage allowance".

(1) Does this mean 3 x 32 kg or 2 x 23kg?
(2) If it's the latter (which I suspect it is) and if I show up with 3 x 32kg bags at NGO (more likely to be 3 x approx 23kg to be honest), how likely will the check-in agent let it slide, considering that I am immediately connecting to a JAL international flight in business class?
(3) If, in common experience, JAL agents are lenient in this regard, would it matter if I were to book a "standard" domestic ticket (@20kg allowance) vs the JEP/Yokoso one? The Ultra Sakitoku Advance Purchase Fares are quite a bit cheaper (around ¥6,000 vs ¥10,000).

I have no status on OW. Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for your help and insight!
​​​​​
Originally Posted by JALPak
Regular domestic tickets will only give you 20kg allowance. You need one of those air passes for international allownaces, and in your case is 3 x 32kg
Hi JALPak, thanks for the answer. I have a follow up question. Will I still get 3 x 32kg on my domestic flight if my international flight does not immediately connect to the domestic one? I'm thinking of spending a day or two in Tokyo (after Nagoya) before flying home, i.e. not checking my bags through.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:05 pm

So I got this award flight booked, but the seat map for my reservation shows only one seat to assign on the map. The weird thing is expert flyer shows about 8 seats unassigned. When I go to book a new revenue business class reservation for this flight, the seat map reflects what expert flyer shows. Is this normal for JAL to block seats for assignment on award tickets?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I got this award flight booked, but the seat map for my reservation shows only one seat to assign on the map. The weird thing is expert flyer shows about 8 seats unassigned. When I go to book a new revenue business class reservation for this flight, the seat map reflects what expert flyer shows. Is this normal for JAL to block seats for assignment on award tickets?
JAL blocks a number of seats based on booking class and status. If not taken, some will be released at online check-in others will remain under airport control. So very normal.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:16 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL blocks a number of seats based on booking class and status. If not taken, some will be released at online check-in others will remain under airport control. So very normal.
I hope they have finally fixed this since after the amadeus migration, almost all seats are up for grab for award grabbers
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak

I hope they have finally fixed this since after the amadeus migration, almost all seats are up for grab for award grabbers
I have seen signs that the blocking seems to be coming back, and I take this post as yet another sign that things are returning to a better state of affairs.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:10 pm

Ticketed an award reservation through AA and realized the name is slightly messed up.

If the actual name for example is: Mary-Jo Smith but the ticket on JAL shows: Mary Smith, will this cause an issue?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayoxd
Ticketed an award reservation through AA and realized the name is slightly messed up.

If the actual name for example is: Mary-Jo Smith but the ticket on JAL shows: Mary Smith, will this cause an issue?
If it is a domestic ticket, it is not going to be a problem.

If it is an international ticket it would depend on how it is written in the passport If it is written as first name with a hyphen, then I would call to check. If it is written in the passport as a middle name, I would not worry at all.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
If Flying JAL F out of JFK which lounge do you have access to at JFK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.