Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Japan forum has a lot of practocal tips about getting between the two airports My recommendation would be to catch a bus they depart very frequently from Narita to Haneda Look for the orange Airport Limousine counters, while saying limousine it is just a regular bus. 3100 yen one way. The train will get you in to a normal commuter train, and is not fun in the morning.
I'm still holding out to see if the NRT-JFK flights open up. The trip is in August, so I have some time.

But if it comes to it, I am definitely going to come here for information.

Thanks again for your advice. ^^
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by knit-in
I'm still holding out to see if the NRT-JFK flights open up. The trip is in August, so I have some time.

But if it comes to it, I am definitely going to come here for information.

Thanks again for your advice. ^^
You are welcome.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:15 am

Direct bus is probably your best shot.

Commuter train is a no go unless your really want to go on the cheap. It gets really crowded depending on the time.

You could take a bus to Tokyo Station and another bus to Haneda, which would be cheaper (less than 1000 yen + 930 yen), but you would have to walk around 50 meters from one bus stop to the other.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:41 pm

I was on the JAL website and was trying to wait list (business/first) for two people. It seems though that the website only allows me to do one. Is this a normal function? Am I allowed to wait list two people, either via the website or call centre?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:56 am

Just OLCI'd myself and family. The seats that we had picked in PREMIUM Y-- two of them, both aisle seats, have a red exclamation point next to them with the message "No Movable Armrest". This is on a 777 JFK-NRT. Are there any seats in Premium Economy that have movable armrests? The two middle seats and the window don't give that message.

Last edited by knit-in; Feb 13, 2018 at 10:15 am
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Just OLCI'd myself and family. The seats that we had picked in PREMIUM Y-- two of them, both aisle seats, have a red exclamation point next to them with the message "No Movable Armrest". This is on a 777 JFK-NRT. Are there any seats in Premium Economy that have movable armrests? The two middle seats and the window don't give that message.
No, all of the armrests are fixed in PY on the 77W and are solid all the way down between the seats.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

No, all of the armrests are fixed in PY on the 77W and are solid all the way down between the seats.
That's what I noticed in the pictures. Thanks for confirming. No such message popped up when checkin in for the connection to SYD from NRT on a 789.

Glad to know all seats in PY on the 77W are (more or less) equal.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:22 pm

That's what I noticed in the pictures. Thanks for confirming. No such message popped up when checkin in for the connection to SYD from NRT on a 789.

Glad to know all seats in PY on the 77W are (more or less) equal.
Mostly The two center seats do not have a head privacy divider between them and the armrest "feels" narrower (it's a doubled aisle side armrest). The bulkhead seats have more legroom but lack the footrest, seatback storage, and tray & monitor fold out so have to be stowed for takeoff and landing.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:15 pm

Mostly The two center seats do not have a head privacy divider between them and the armrest "feels" narrower (it's a doubled aisle side armrest). The bulkhead seats have more legroom but lack the footrest, seatback storage, and tray & monitor fold out so have to be stowed for takeoff and landing.
Also, according to the JAL seat map, there are no windows by the bulkhead seats.

The "Least Preferred Seat is Assigned" message during check-in disconcerting. We have 21 A,C and D on the 77W. It's the last row of PY.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:31 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Also, according to the JAL seat map, there are no windows by the bulkhead seats.

The "Least Preferred Seat is Assigned" message during check-in disconcerting. We have 21 A,C and D on the 77W. It's the last row of PY.
The only bulkhead in SS7 are 17D-G, which are center seats. Otherwise the first row in the cabin (17ACHK) are exit rows.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
The only bulkhead in SS7 are 17D-G, which are center seats. Otherwise the first row in the cabin (17ACHK) are exit rows.
Ah.. got it. Thanks for correcting. I prefer the aisle towards the back usually. Too much going on in exit rows, unless I'm in Economy.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:50 pm

^ My favorite. There's a storage closet behind 21AC while 21HK has a single wall so my perception is those pair are a bit more isolated from rearward noise, particularly in 21A.

Last edited by rustykettel; Feb 13, 2018 at 6:37 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:37 pm

^ My favorite. There's a storage closet behind 21AC while 21HK has a single wall so my perception is those pair are a bit more isolated from rearward noise, particularly in 21A.
Good to know!

I'm looking forward to trying this product. My one and only JAL flight was NRT-JFK in J (seat 7A ^), and that was one of my finest flying experiences.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:50 pm

Hi everyone, first of all I really appreciate the help because I am a complete newbie and I am stressing out about this. Please excuse the upcoming wall of text.

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo for my boyfriend and I in May 2019. I like to plan everything well out in advance, so I've started already (plus, I'm just really excited). I'm planning on using SPG points to get JAL miles to hopefully get premium economy award tickets direct through JMB. My boyfriend and I will be accumulating these points/miles separately, notably since we're not married and I can't buy his award ticket for him through JAL (which is really annoying). I don't care which airport we fly out of America from, but all I care is that we sit together (I'm a very nervous flyer) and HOPEFULLY get tickets around the time I want. Before we commit to this SPG->JAL miles method instead of just buying the tickets straight up when they become available, I want to make sure this is all doable. I'm very afraid of earning all the points, transferring them into JMB separately, and then availability is so poor that I can't get tickets for us that work out and I'm stuck with these JAL miles we can't use.

Specific questions:
  • For award tickets, do they let you pick any seat in that section or are there only certain seats they let you have? (concerned about us not getting a seat together)
  • How difficult is it to coordinate getting seats side by side since we have to book them separately since we're not married? I understand that the tickets get released at 10am Japan time, so we'd be ready to buy them on the dot on 2 computers.
    • I think I read that the phone line is closed the moment they are available, so unfortunately this doesn't seem to be an option
  • Are premium economy award tickets more common than business/first class? I went through the JAL availability thread and almost everyone was talking about business/first class. The JAL availability thread has really scared me into thinking this is not at all possible. But, when I search for award tickets on JAL (NOT using the calendar but the actual booking tool) I see 4 economy, 2 premium economy, and 2 business tickets for January 10th 2019 which is the most recent date added. Even if I search for May 8 2018, there seems to be 3 premium economy seats. That availability thread implies that award tickets sell out in minutes. Does this imply that availability has gotten better? Am I using the JAL site completely wrong? If I do the same search on ba.com, it's showing no direct flights, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
  • Do you have to do the "wait list" method for premium economy like you do business/first class, where you get on a wait list for a fake 'depart' before your REAL depart date which you actually confirm when it opens at 10am, then when your real return date comes up, you confirm that as well and drop the wait listed ticket?
Any suggestions or thoughts are really appreciated. If this doesn't work out, I'm just going to buy economy tickets because I'm too cheap to pay the cash for the premium economy

Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
There is quite a run on the first and business class awards, less so on PY and Y awards. Though with a bit of flexibility you can typically find both F and J awards without logging in exactly at the dot for the release. For Y and PY it usually works much easier. That being said, there is of course never any guarantee that once you transferred points you can find the route that you want, but by looking for Y/PY awards, I would say fairly high chance of success.

When booking, you will have the same seats avaible as you would have if you did a revenue booking. Certain seats are available for elites only, some are blocked, and some are blocked for basinets. Generally it should not be a problem to find two seats together. Once booked you can probably get them to put a note on the reservations, so you don’t get separated in case of irrops and subsequent rebookings.

I don’t think that you would need to waitlist, and then rebook to the right dates. But if you are very worried, you can book two oneway rather than a return ticket, that will allow you to book both directions on the first possible date of booking each routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.