Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
To be exact you only need to be at itm 30 mins ahead with intl connections.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Just did this same routing Thursday!

At ITM: Go to the International connections counter. It's on the south end of the North Terminal. If you take the limo bus to the airport, it will drop you between the South (ANA) and North (JAL) terminals. The international connections counter will be the first counter you see on your left as you enter the North terminal.

Your luggage will be checked through to SFO, no need to reclaim at HND. Or further if SFO isn't the finally destination on your ticket, but you'd reclaim your bags for customs at SFO regardless.

As for time, you need to pass through domestic security at least 15 minutes prior to departure and be at the gate 10 minutes prior. Unknown amount of people in the check-in line, plus maybe one more flight after that will connect to JL2, I'd go for 1 hour or more prior depending on your comfort level. My own experience is that check-in took about an hour but I was buying a same day PE upgrade for JL2 at ITM and took longer than normal.

Also, I had to pick up my JL2 boarding pass at the HND counter. First time I've done this route so not sure if ITM can't issue the long haul BPs or it was because of the the PE buyup.

At HND: Terminals are not directly connected. Easiest method is the shuttle bus that runs every 4 minutes. Exit landside and go through the doors marked without luggage. Exit outside on the same level at Terminal 1 (your domestic arrival terminal), proceed to Bus Stop #8 and catch the bus marked for International Terminal, which will be the next terminal. 2 hours and 10 minutes should be more than enough time to get to the International terminal and clear security and exit Immigration.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: QFF
At ITM: Go to the International connections counter. It's on the south end of the North Terminal. If you take the limo bus to the airport, it will drop you between the South (ANA) and North (JAL) terminals. The international connections counter will be the first counter you see on your left as you enter the North terminal.
The JL ITM international connections counter isn't open all day. It is only available during check in times for JL102, JL104, JL3002 and JL106 in the morning and JL118, JL120 and JL3006 in the afternoon. It is closed for about 2 hours in between and after check in closes for 3006. At other times, you'll need to use the other counters.

Also, I had to pick up my JL2 boarding pass at the HND counter. First time I've done this route so not sure if ITM can't issue the long haul BPs or it was because of the the PE buyup.
I've had ITM issue boarding passes for ITM-HND-SIN-MEL-CBR before (last year). This year they could only tag bag to MEL and issue passes to SIN due to the flight times (HND-SIN and SIN-MEL both overnight flights on following days).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:01 am

Flying JAL 77W in economy. Was able to get seats 23A & B (first row of economy bulkhead). Do you know if the arm rest goes up for these seats or is it fixed?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by werDrD
Flying JAL 77W in economy. Was able to get seats 23A & B (first row of economy bulkhead). Do you know if the arm rest goes up for these seats or is it fixed?
Fixed, the tray table is in the arm rest.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: JGC premier
Out of curiosity, what happens if you’re less than 100 FOP short to qualify for elite status by the end of year? Currently short of 79 FOP for mantaining JGP; I have 2 more flights with OW till end of year, so i’ll have no problem mantaining it, but I wonder if JL ever takes ‘pity’ on some of its members who made tiny miscalculations of their FOP accumulation and realize it a bit too late..
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:52 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by werDrD
Sigh, they really need to fix the seat blocking
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Out of curiosity, what happens if you’re less than 100 FOP short to qualify for elite status by the end of year? Currently short of 79 FOP for mantaining JGP; I have 2 more flights with OW till end of year, so i’ll have no problem mantaining it, but I wonder if JL ever takes ‘pity’ on some of its members who made tiny miscalculations of their FOP accumulation and realize it a bit too late..
they did extend late Black Adder’s elite status when he didn’t earn enough FOPs back in 2008, when JL was on the verge of bankruptcy.

but under normal circumstances, I would tend to say no. But how about you try finding it out for us in 2018
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by JALPak
they did extend late Black Adder’s elite status when he didn’t earn enough FOPs back in 2008, when JL was on the verge of bankruptcy.

but under normal circumstances, I would tend to say no. But how about you try finding it out for us in 2018
I’m saving it for the time when i’ll be in real pinch in future given how strict Japanese are with rules, probably you’ll get once in a lifetime exception, if at all..
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by kaka
To be exact you only need to be at itm 30 mins ahead with intl connections.
Wow that's kind of a gamble. This will be my first time flying out of Japan on domestic with an international connection, ITM-NRT-KUL. JL3002 ITM-NRT is an 8am flight. Planning to take the Osaka Airport Limousine bus and reach ITM by 6:30am or 6:40am. Can I use the JGC Counter for through check-in my luggage and get my onward boarding pass or I have to use the dedicated through check-in counter for that on the left? JAL ITM MAP

I'll also be connecting from JL to SQ in KUL, do you guys think I can request JL at ITM to tag my bags all the way home to SIN? Wonder if I can get the SQ boarding pass too... I know they're in different alliances. I'll still have 2 hours and 20 mins to spare at KUL if there's no delay on the incoming JL flight.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Wow that's kind of a gamble. This will be my first time flying out of Japan on domestic with an international connection, ITM-NRT-KUL. JL3002 ITM-NRT is an 8am flight. Planning to take the Osaka Airport Limousine bus and reach ITM by 6:30am or 6:40am. Can I use the JGC Counter for through check-in my luggage and get my onward boarding pass or I have to use the dedicated through check-in counter for that on the left? JAL ITM MAP
I'm pretty sure there are premium cabin/elite queues at the International connections counter. I don't have a picture to refresh my memory but it seems like there was at least one or more queues on the other side of the baggage screening from the Economy line that we were in and then JAL smiles and maybe a group check-in.

ETA: found a photo the ITM check-in after all! Separate positions for Economy, Business, what looks like JGC, First Class along with group check-in and JAL Smile.
Attached Images  

Last edited by rustykettel; Nov 27, 2017 at 4:39 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:56 am
Original Poster

I'm pretty sure there are premium cabin/elite queues at the International connections counter. I don't have a picture to refresh my memory but it seems like there was at least one or more queues on the other side of the baggage screening from the Economy line that we were in and then JAL smiles and maybe a group check-in.
Or just go to the JGC line. I had no problems doing international check-ins there at CTS, guess should be fine for ITM too.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Sigh, they really need to fix the seat blocking
I hope this is not how they intend it to work....

But maybe they have bigger problems to fix...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I hope this is not how they intend it to work....

But maybe they have bigger problems to fix...
Front seats are suppose to be reserved for JMB elites, that's the extended benefits after the migration
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Front seats are suppose to be reserved for JMB elites, that's the extended benefits after the migration
Which by extension means any equivalent OneWorld elite. The old system where JAL blocked seats and the airport would assign them would be much better.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Which by extension means any equivalent OneWorld elite. The old system where JAL blocked seats and the airport would assign them would be much better.
agree but they don’t have to extend this to oneworld if they choose to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.