Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 26, 18, 4:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tokyoite
Wiki Link
Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 17, 17, 9:14 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
I recently have a RT award F/SFO-HND + Y/HND-SFO which didn't pay surcharge to issue the ticket.
Now my waitlist of F/HND-SFO is confirmed...

In case of reissue, when surcharge was cancelled, JL refunded it.
So I mind am I have to pay surcharge for reissue the award ticket from F-Y to F-F, or not.
I will ask JL soon anyway, but does anybody know that?
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:33 am
jix

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, AA Gold, JGC Premier, IHG Platinum, UA Silver
So I don't suppose JL has original routing credit for flights other JL group right?

My final leg AA DFW-YYZ in J was delayed 3 hours and I switched to DFW-LGA-YYZ with AA/WS and in Y only. Is there anything I can claim from JL? It's not a lot of miles/FOP so I don't really care, but I'd like to know what the typical protocol is in case of future incidents.
Old Apr 18, 17, 1:06 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jix View Post
So I don't suppose JL has original routing credit for flights other JL group right?

My final leg AA DFW-YYZ in J was delayed 3 hours and I switched to DFW-LGA-YYZ with AA/WS and in Y only. Is there anything I can claim from JL? It's not a lot of miles/FOP so I don't really care, but I'd like to know what the typical protocol is in case of future incidents.
Isn't that AA's job? You should have asked AA to post the original routing credits.
Old Apr 18, 17, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toki View Post
I recently have a RT award F/SFO-HND + Y/HND-SFO which didn't pay surcharge to issue the ticket.
Now my waitlist of F/HND-SFO is confirmed...

In case of reissue, when surcharge was cancelled, JL refunded it.
So I mind am I have to pay surcharge for reissue the award ticket from F-Y to F-F, or not.
I will ask JL soon anyway, but does anybody know that?
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/fare/fuel/detail.html

Refer to number 5
Old Apr 18, 17, 1:52 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the reply earlier @JALPak, it was quite helpful. I managed to get my booking ticketed.

The agent agreed to put the ticket on hold without 100% of the miles in the account. It took about 48h for SPG transfer to post. Getting them to actually issue the ticket was the tricky part--it took quite a while to communicate that across and several days of failed attempts. My final routing was SFO-DXB-HKG. I wanted to mix with onward travel on JAL metal but I couldn't get them to price it right; so I just grabbed a cheapo AS award of 25k for HKG-TYO(stop)-CGK.

I'll probably cancel that; because my dates shifted a few days and I don't see any availability on JAL for my new date… but I do see some on NH. To be continued…
Old Apr 18, 17, 3:17 am
jix

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Isn't that AA's job? You should have asked AA to post the original routing credits.
But I didn't credit the flown segments to AA. Can they give/post original segments to JL? I've only done original routing credit when flying on AA and crediting to AA before, not sure what happens when the flown carrier is different from the crediting program.
Old Apr 18, 17, 3:20 am

Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
But I didn't credit the flown segments to AA. Can they give/post original segments to JL? I've only done original routing credit when flying on AA and crediting to AA before, not sure what happens when the flown carrier is different from the crediting program.
You would get credit when crediting to a different airline though the mileage earned maybe different from your desired FFP.
Old Apr 18, 17, 3:36 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold

JAL will not give original route credit for non JL flights. I tried for a lost AA flight that was somewhat longer than that, and worth following. No dice.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:07 pm
jix

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
JAL will not give original route credit for non JL flights. I tried for a lost AA flight that was somewhat longer than that, and worth following. No dice.
Yeah I figured as well, but did you try then getting AA to credit (to AA?)
Old Apr 19, 17, 2:40 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Yeah I figured as well, but did you try then getting AA to credit (to AA?)
I did not. I decided that BOG-IAH-NRT in J on United did generate a fair amount of miles for my Star Alliance account. and since I would never get any status on my AA account anyway, it was probably not worth the effort.
Old Apr 19, 17, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
So they would give original route credit for JL flights including FOPs?
Old Apr 19, 17, 7:59 am
jix

I think so, I saw a comment earlier about automatically giving original credit after flight.

Last edited by jix; Apr 19, 17 at 8:13 am
Old Apr 19, 17, 8:15 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I have had that for a cancelled JL marketed flight (HEL-NRT) . I did not even have to request it. Just came automatically. Not for the connection flight that was not cancelled (CPH-HEL) but I never flew.
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:08 am

Newbie questions, regarding upcoming JFKNRT and HNDJFK flights, booked in revenue J with mileage upgrades to F.

1) I have an overwhelmingly strong preference for Japanese food. I see it advertised that I may pre-select meals, but I don't see actual choices or know if it is even necessary. Worth calling?

2) I'd like to swap from my JL FF # to my AA number at check-in, as I have no need for JL currency. However, having applied JL miles to fund my upgrade, will the system accept my AA number? I can obviously find out at the airport, and I won't accept a downgrade just to earn AA credit, but I'd still be interested in knowing in advance.

Thanks - Jamie
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:13 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
Newbie questions, regarding upcoming JFKNRT and HNDJFK flights, booked in revenue J with mileage upgrades to F.

1) I have an overwhelmingly strong preference for Japanese food. I see it advertised that I may pre-select meals, but I don't see actual choices or know if it is even necessary. Worth calling?

2) I'd like to swap from my JL FF # to my AA number at check-in, as I have no need for JL currency. However, having applied JL miles to fund my upgrade, will the system accept my AA number? I can obviously find out at the airport, and I won't accept a downgrade just to earn AA credit, but I'd still be interested in knowing in advance.

Thanks - Jamie
For F meals, check the menu on JAL's website, then you can see what your option is. For the Japanese F meal there are no additional sub selections for Japanese. For Western you would also have to choose starter and main course.

Search this Thread