Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 26, 18, 4:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tokyoite
Wiki Link
Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 30, 17, 4:08 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jayoxd View Post
Yeah thank you for clarifying - my main source of panic was when I was browsing menus where you can actually select my flight and it only had Y and J and when i switched it to the other flight where it showed F.

Then I googled JAL 773 and the first link on seatguru shows a 2 cabin 777. Cue the panic.
The two class 777-300 is the domestic version. The one to New York is a 777-300ER. It is the other way around for equipment change, until 31st of March JL3 was a two class 787 and it was changed to a 77W when JL5/6 moved to Haneda. The menu page in English has not been updated to show the first class menu for JL3/4. The Japanese version does.
​​​​​

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 30, 17 at 5:02 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 30, 17, 4:35 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
The two class 777-300 is the domestic version. The one to New York is a 777-200ER. It is the other way around for equipment change, until 31st of March JL3 was a two class 787 and it was changed to a 77W when JL5/6 moved to Haneda. The menu page in English has not been updated to show the first class menu for JL3/4. The Japanese version does.
​​​​​
No no no no you are just confusing him now LOL

The one to JFK is 777-300ER not 777-200ER
Old Mar 30, 17, 4:59 pm

Hahahah point is - no equipment change and I am good to go! That darn english menu sparked this whole thing. Thanks to everyone!
Old Mar 30, 17, 5:01 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
No no no no you are just confusing him now LOL

The one to JFK is 777-300ER not 777-200ER
Typo. Or rather me not noticing what the phone suggested. Apparently I have been writing more about the smaller older version lately.
Old Mar 30, 17, 8:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA ExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Starriott Gold, GE
Total noob here with JL...but how accurate is EF for JL?
I redeemed one Z award yesterday for JL10 at F2 A2 (about a week or two from now)
It's now showing F1 A1 C0 J3 D0 X0 I0 Y0 W4 E0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 (tried multiple POS)
But they released another Z award today again?
How likely will I be able to get window seat? (Only 1 left but it's blocked until airport I think?) Will the flight pull away completely full with op ups? Thought that's not a thing at JL?
Also checked JL.com japan where they are also only willing to sell 1 F seat one way for cash.

It would be a pity if my first JL F experience ends up in an aisle seat...

Actually what I want most is a J class award, but given inventory showing like this, the chance of U popping up is slim to none? (There are still like ~20% seats unassigned in J...)
Old Mar 30, 17, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
Total noob here with JL...but how accurate is EF for JL?
I redeemed one Z award yesterday for JL10 at F2 A2 (about a week or two from now)
It's now showing F1 A1 C0 J3 D0 X0 I0 Y0 W4 E0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 (tried multiple POS)
But they released another Z award today again?
How likely will I be able to get window seat? (Only 1 left but it's blocked until airport I think?) Will the flight pull away completely full with op ups? Thought that's not a thing at JL?
Also checked JL.com japan where they are also only willing to sell 1 F seat one way for cash.

It would be a pity if my first JL F experience ends up in an aisle seat...

Actually what I want most is a J class award, but given inventory showing like this, the chance of U popping up is slim to none? (There are still like ~20% seats unassigned in J...)
JL inventory is very POS sensitive. But if jal.co.jp showing 1F available for sale only, then you should expect there's only 1 seat left. 1A is blocked for VIP and full fare passengers only. You may be able to get that but others could be ahead of you.

If jal.co.jp is still selling J fare, that means there are still hope. Sure, they may decide to oversell PY and opup some passengers. But if those don't sell, JL could still release U inventory at the very last minute. Of course, you will be given priority after those on upgrade/award waiting list.
Old Mar 30, 17, 8:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA ExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Starriott Gold, GE
JL inventory is very POS sensitive. But if jal.co.jp showing 1F available for sale only, then you should expect there's only 1 seat left. 1A is blocked for VIP and full fare passengers only. You may be able to get that but others could be ahead of you.

If jal.co.jp is still selling J fare, that means there are still hope. Sure, they may decide to oversell PY and opup some passengers. But if those don't sell, JL could still release U inventory at the very last minute. Of course, you will be given priority after those on upgrade/award waiting list.
Thanks...1A, 2A and 2K are taken. 1K is open on EF but AA sees it as unavailable
Does this have any difference with your example of 1A being blocked, or 1K is just similar as 1A?

If you don't mind another related question, I'll be arriving off the CX red eye 524 at 6:25am. Being that early will I be in a good position to snag the window seat assuming it will 'open up' under airport control? Without a BP is it better to go landside first? (Would like to get some fresh air anyway, but not sure about explaining to immigration...)
Old Mar 30, 17, 9:08 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Thanks...1A, 2A and 2K are taken. 1K is open on EF but AA sees it as unavailable
Does this have any difference with your example of 1A being blocked, or 1K is just similar as 1A?

If you don't mind another related question, I'll be arriving off the CX red eye 524 at 6:25am. Being that early will I be in a good position to snag the window seat assuming it will 'open up' under airport control? Without a BP is it better to go landside first? (Would like to get some fresh air anyway, but not sure about explaining to immigration...)
Immigration will be fine with you being in the country for a few hours. Provided you don't need an actual visa to enter Japan.

The earlier you come the better a change of getting 1A. Less likely other people managed to ask. However, they may already have assigned it to other passengers. I have noticed when my booking was seat less that 1A was already assigned once I checked in. Diamond level with JAL does have a few perks in that aspect,

In theory they should be able to manage this just as well at a transfer counter, but of you have some hours it could be nice with some fresh air. As fresh as it gets in the vicinity of a major airport.
Old Mar 30, 17, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

1K is a bit more tricky. That could be just blocked for Z class although I have seen it open up for Z class before too.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/airport/nrt/info/

Check-in opens at 7am at NRT. You may be able to ask CX to check you in at HKG.

Note that there are connecting passengers from other outports. So those people could have taken 1K by the time you check-in.
Old Apr 4, 17, 10:41 am
jix

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, AA Gold, JGC Premier, IHG Platinum, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Once you reach Sapphire, the JGC invitation arrives as well. If you are Japan based, pending you have a credit card as well.
So...it's been 3 weeks since my qualifying flights posted and I see my JMB Sapphire status online. When should I expect to see an email on the JGC invitation?

I have a trip next week on JL so not sure if that matters, but I want to at least be eligible for the bonus miles.
Old Apr 4, 17, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix View Post
So...it's been 3 weeks since my qualifying flights posted and I see my JMB Sapphire status online. When should I expect to see an email on the JGC invitation?

I have a trip next week on JL so not sure if that matters, but I want to at least be eligible for the bonus miles.
Never. Check your mail instead.
Old Apr 4, 17, 1:12 pm
jix

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, AA Gold, JGC Premier, IHG Platinum, UA Silver
Never. Check your mail instead.
Oh, I thought it was just going to be like family club registration. I'll check the mail then.
Old Apr 6, 17, 10:06 pm

Transpacific Codeshare flight AA/JAL - Which Rewards?

I booked 2 tickets for economy class N for AA/JAL Codeshare flights on JAL's website. At the time, we only had AA Advantage accounts so I listed the AA Advantage numbers in the reservation at the time of booking. It ended up as a good thing because I was able to select seats on AA's website for the AA operated legs whereas I can only do that 72 hours in advance for the JAL operated legs.

Will I get AA Advantage rewards points for all of the legs (even the JAL operated legs)? I have since signed up for a JMB account in case I won't get reward points with AA. Should I/Can I specify my new JMB account when I do online check-in?
Old Apr 6, 17, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by froggy2017 View Post
I booked 2 tickets for economy class N for AA/JAL Codeshare flights on JAL's website. At the time, we only had AA Advantage accounts so I listed the AA Advantage numbers in the reservation at the time of booking. It ended up as a good thing because I was able to select seats on AA's website for the AA operated legs whereas I can only do that 72 hours in advance for the JAL operated legs.

Will I get AA Advantage rewards points for all of the legs (even the JAL operated legs)? I have since signed up for a JMB account in case I won't get reward points with AA. Should I/Can I specify my new JMB account when I do online check-in?
You will get AA miles for JL operated legs.
Old Apr 8, 17, 6:48 pm

Hi all, newbie here. I recently took advantage of the fare sale and booked ORD-SIN for $335. In my haste to book it, I stupidly booked the return with a transfer from NRT to HND (SIN-NRT/HND-SFO-ORD). Kicking myself now. The NRT-HND transfer is only 3.5 hours, which from what I've read, seems like too little time to enter Japan, travel between airports, exit Japan, clear security etc. I called JAL today and tried to change it but they say it is within the 3 hr minimum, so any change would involve a fee. My question-- in the seemingly inevitable case of a misconnect, even without a delay on the inbound, what will happen? Will I have to buy a new ticket to ORD for will they try to accommodate me on the next flight? Thanks in advance

Search this Thread