Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
​​​​​​
The CX lounge is very nice, the noodle bar same as in other locations.

Otherwise you can go to the JL Sakura lounge. If you are used to the CX lounges, maybe check out JL for a change.
Thank you!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kangol
I'm researching HND-CTS award flights for next year's ski season but looking at upcoming availability. There is hourly frequency and I can see a lot of Y award seats. J availability tends to be quite scarce.
Is that normal for this route?
Is it season dependent?
Are you looking the availability via BA?
Not confident, but JL doesn't open domestic J for BA in any season.
Even trying to book through JL, JL may release only a few domestic J seats so that's difficult.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Kangol
I'm researching HND-CTS award flights for next year's ski season but looking at upcoming availability. There is hourly frequency and I can see a lot of Y award seats. J availability tends to be quite scarce.
Is that normal for this route?
Is it season dependent?
Seriously - don't even bother. It's a 1h25min flight, you will not need J for it (and what JL calls "class J" is basically a slightly wider seat that you can grab for 1,000 yen on checkin if available). Also, I do not believe it ever comes up available to BA... but honestly, there are better uses for your Avios.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Seriously - don't even bother. It's a 1h25min flight, you will not need J for it (and what JL calls "class J" is basically a slightly wider seat that you can grab for 1,000 yen on checkin if available).
Agreed. Really doesn't matter either J or Y on domestic flights anyway.
JL calls it J, in fact, nearly international PY.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I have an upcoming domestic flight in May CTS-ITM (first JL domestic flight for me). I assume I will be able to check-in at the CTS JGC Counter and use the JGC express lane by showing my MH Gold (Sapphire) card?

I know my JMB Crystal status is not eligible though. So trying to make use of my MH Gold status while I still have it.

Last edited by lcpteck; Mar 20, 2017 at 2:49 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:14 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I have an upcoming domestic flight in May CTS-ITM (first JL domestic flight for me). I assume I will be able to check-in at the CTS JGC Counter and use the JGC express lane by showing my MH Gold (Sapphire) card?

I know my JMB Crystal status is not eligible though. So trying to make use of my MH Gold status while I still have it.
Shouldn't be a problem
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Toki
Are you looking the availability via BA?
Not confident, but JL doesn't open domestic J for BA in any season.
Even trying to book through JL, JL may release only a few domestic J seats so that's difficult.
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Seriously - don't even bother. It's a 1h25min flight, you will not need J for it (and what JL calls "class J" is basically a slightly wider seat that you can grab for 1,000 yen on checkin if available). Also, I do not believe it ever comes up available to BA... but honestly, there are better uses for your Avios.
Originally Posted by Toki
Agreed. Really doesn't matter either J or Y on domestic flights anyway.
JL calls it J, in fact, nearly international PY.
Thanks. Very helpful. I'm looking on the JMB website.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:07 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by lcpteck

Yeah just bring the card. I find that they don't really enforcing the rules at check-in counters unless it's very crowded. I had my AA card with me but never been asked as there's no one in line.

You can do the same with the lounge as well.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by JALPak
Shouldn't be a problem
Originally Posted by jix
Yeah just bring the card. I find that they don't really enforcing the rules at check-in counters unless it's very crowded. I had my AA card with me but never been asked as there's no one in line.

You can do the same with the lounge as well.
Noted, will give it a try in May.

Yeah, have accessed the Lounges and priority boarding by showing my MH Gold card, no issues.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:55 pm
jix

Is there a way (date or destination) to get a higher fare class without spending double/triple on JL?

Looking at JL flights ex NYC to Asia and while all the N fare is competitive at about USD$500 base fare, the next fare class (S) is $1500 so I'm essentially paying triple the price for a 20% increase in FOP earning which is not worth it.

Does JL have any other fare class higher than the deepest discount N but priced reasonably?

I need about 9000FOP (500 on JL) to the next level so.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:21 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
Is there a way (date or destination) to get a higher fare class without spending double/triple on JL?

Looking at JL flights ex NYC to Asia and while all the N fare is competitive at about USD$500 base fare, the next fare class (S) is $1500 so I'm essentially paying triple the price for a 20% increase in FOP earning which is not worth it.

Does JL have any other fare class higher than the deepest discount N but priced reasonably?

There's Q but that won't earn you the 20% extra.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:45 pm
jix

Originally Posted by JALPak
There's Q but that won't earn you the 20% extra.
Yeah, some destinations have multiple N fares available at 100 increments but that's not good either. I'm really curious why JL has such a large price gap between the fare earning classes.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
I hope you are right but I'm not convinced yet. However on Sunday will fly from ICN to KMQ on a JAL coded and purchased ticket and KE operated flight. Will report back on whether I get anything after a week or so.
Miles and flyon points posted today
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by jix

since you're talking about destinations too, maybe Japan domestic routes which have more variety of fares will be better? also if you have status with JL you get to choose one month of the year where you'll get double fly on points for domestic route. With that you could easily get near 9000 FOP with 1 HND-ISG round trip on super/ultra sakitoku fare.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:11 am
jix

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
since you're talking about destinations too, maybe Japan domestic routes which have more variety of fares will be better? also if you have status with JL you get to choose one month of the year where you'll get double fly on points for domestic route. With that you could easily get near 9000 FOP with 1 HND-ISG round trip on super/ultra sakitoku fare.
I'm not eligible for the double FOP since I started from scratch this year. I would do domestic routes but I'm not based in Japan so the positioning flight itself is expensive into Japan and it's also more worth it to connect to other Asian destinations to lower the cost and increase mileage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.