JAL to enable NFC-enabled boarding pass

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:54 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
JAL to enable NFC-enabled boarding pass

http://www.qrcodepress.com/japan-air...sumers/856159/

Japan Airlines has announced that it will be launching a new NFC-based service that will help consumers board planes faster. The airline has partnered with mobile operations company KDDI in order to create NFC-enabled boarding passes. Japan Airlines is not the first to adopt this type of boarding pass.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I would also like it if they also allow non-Japan JMB members to get IC-enabled mileage cards.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
This is similar to the ANA IC system, right?

There was an application on my docomo phone and I could download boarding passes for domestic flights and just scan it at the gate. Last time I used it was a while ago though, can't remember if it used the FeliCa chip or a QR code on the screen.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Be interesting to see how they implement it. The thing I don't like about the QR codes on the mobile phones is the phone screens have a bad habit of turning off just when you need them so you're left juggling your back, pulling out your ID and trying to key in you passcode on your phone all at the same time.

I suspect JAL will probably try to tie it in with a credit card and/or bundle it into an app when what they should really do is just use the chip to identify the passenger and keep everything else on the server. That way you could just tap your phone without screwing around with all the other shenanigans.

Whoever wrote the article is not the sharpest tool in the drawer either...
"Airlines have been experimenting with QR codes for some time. The codes had proven useful to some extent, but were ultimately considered to be, ironically, one dimensional"

"Experimented?" Virtually every BP in the world's biggest aviation market is printed with a QR code these days.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I'm a bit confused as to what this is. JL has had the IC chip boarding passes for a long time. (I think they had them before ANA.) I think all JMB cards and JALcards come with the chip in them (and have for the last few years). How is this different?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:03 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I'm a bit confused as to what this is. JL has had the IC chip boarding passes for a long time. (I think they had them before ANA.) I think all JMB cards and JALcards come with the chip in them (and have for the last few years). How is this different?
this is more like you use your phone's chip instead of the card's
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
why bother when most have the card.
same with qf - had barcode on phone screen, but then rolled out cards which everyone uses (admittedly they just use barcode at gate, not nfc)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by moa999
why bother when most have the card.
same with qf - had barcode on phone screen, but then rolled out cards which everyone uses (admittedly they just use barcode at gate, not nfc)
If they do it right. You don't have to open the phone or being running any apps. You just tap the back of the phone to the reader and you're done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.