FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   First JL experience coming up (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1284266-first-jl-experience-coming-up.html)

jahason Nov 25, 2011 2:13 am

First JL experience coming up

This is my first post of JL forum so please be kind. Instead of going with CX, BA or RJ to Hong Kong and then onto KHH (Taiwan) I have decided to go JL (business) to NRT and onto KHH.

How does JL compare to CX and BA? For example, do you get a flat bed? Any tips on which lounge to use at NRT? Any other advice?

On the return leg I am stopping off for two nights. This will be my first visit to Japan. any advice on where to stay, how to get into town, main sights to see? I enjoy seeing historical places and museums of recent political history.

For hotels I plan to use my loyalty points (Priority Club, Marriott or Hilton).

I know my questions are vague but any advice would be welcome.

SPBanker Nov 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Well, I've only traveled JAL on domestic flights and once Tokyo-Beijing (so no lie-flats in biz), but the service has always been impeccable.

Regarding transfer from NRT to the center of Tokyo, I guess it depends where you are going. Most large international hotels are served by Limousine Bus, and this is my preferred method of travel. If your destination is not on their routes, Narita Express train is fast and relatively cheap.

As for hotels, I've found both Hilton Tokyo and Intercontinental ANA to be quite nice, and pretty good with upgrades.

Milano Suprano Nov 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jahason (Post 17512233)
This is my first post of JL forum so please be kind. Instead of going with CX, BA or RJ to Hong Kong and then onto KHH (Taiwan) I have decided to go JL (business) to NRT and onto KHH.

How does JL compare to CX and BA? For example, do you get a flat bed? Any tips on which lounge to use at NRT? Any other advice?

On the return leg I am stopping off for two nights. This will be my first visit to Japan. any advice on where to stay, how to get into town, main sights to see? I enjoy seeing historical places and museums of recent political history.

I just took my first JL flight in business class. I found the seat to be very uncomfortable for sleeping but thought the service was excellent. I'm staying at the Tokyo Grand Hyatt and really like it, but I have also heard good things about the Conrad in Tokyo.

ronin98syu Nov 26, 2011 6:49 pm

Places to visit in Tokyo

Originally Posted by jahason (Post 17512233)

Since you only have two days: here's my suggestions to you

Imperial Palace
Meiji Jingu
Yoyogi Park (right next to Meiji Jingu), this is where 1964 Tokyo Olympics was held
Yasukuni Jinga & Yushukan: It's a shrine dedicated to Japanese war deads, including WWII war criminals. However controversial it might be, I found that it was a place where Japanese came to pay tribute to their soldiers who sacrificed for their country. Some letters in display (inside Yushukan) were quite moving. Warning: not everything inside Yushukan was translated. It seemed to me that whatever Japanese government doesn't want outsiders to know, there would be no translations. This place definitely worth your while.

If you still have more time:
Akiba (electric town)
Tsujiki Tokyo Fish Market: I think that you'll need to register now.
Sensoji Temple in Asakusa

If you have more time, take Japanese Shinkansen (their bullet train) to Shin Yokohama and then back to Tokyo. Tried TGV and ICE, Shinkansen, in my mind, is the BEST bullet train in the world.

Hope this helps, and enjoy Tokyo, one of my favourite cities in the world.
:cool:^:)

anacapamalibu Nov 27, 2011 11:17 pm

Flew LAX NRT PEK in business. Bed is not flat 171degree, not a very comfortable seat or bed. AA and UA are better seats but not service. Kind of dumb to have a " bed" that you can 't sleep in. Sakura lounge T2 is good.

jahason Nov 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Flying out on Friday.