Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JMB Sakura Lounge] The JAL Forum Conversational Thread

[JMB Sakura Lounge] The JAL Forum Conversational Thread

Reply

Old Oct 24, 18, 9:54 pm
  #676  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,884
Amadeus really sucks. Searching for upgradable r/t fares on JL website shows only X fares available on my inbound date. When switched to multi city search, it correctly quote E fares both ways on the same date

and then even multi city booking is problematic. I am same flights but searching them as individual segment vs connection, e.g. LAX-NRT and NRT-HKG ca LAX-HKG, results in different fares and one of them is 2x of the other!

it was ok when JL first made the switch but now it’s getting worse. What’s going on?
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 10:42 pm
  #677  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 3,892
Is it pricing as two separate fares instead of as a through fare?
rustykettel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 11:45 pm
  #678  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,884
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Is it pricing as two separate fares instead of as a through fare?
no lol they just somehow booked one of the legs as J instead of the lower bucket
kaka likes this.
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 18, 1:36 am
  #679  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,489
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Ticket service fee for award tickets is being increased to match those of paid tickets eff 12/19:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/inter/tsf.html

China has not increased
coolfish1103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 18, 11:14 am
  #680  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,884
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Is it pricing as two separate fares instead of as a through fare?
JL claims one of the flights isn't available in X class but it has been days and it's still quoting me the X class fare online. It only failed during the seat selection phase. Other sites e.g. aa.com don't seem to have problem selling me that fare (at least not till after I've entered everything before clicking the confirm purchase button...but I really don't want a 001 stock ticket LOL
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 1:00 am
  #681  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,489
Just had a memorable flight on JAL.

Was caught in surprise that they print !! Happy Birthday !! on boarding passes base on your registration region cause it was technically already 11/4 in Narita.

Then, you had everyone wishes you Happy Birthday from check in, security, lounge, boarding gate and on board with little gifts and treats.

No wonder the other time the ANA F pax got DYKWIA... the treatment is way off.
coolfish1103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 2:09 am
  #682  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
Just had a memorable flight on JAL.

Was caught in surprise that they print !! Happy Birthday !! on boarding passes base on your registration region cause it was technically already 11/4 in Narita.

Then, you had everyone wishes you Happy Birthday from check in, security, lounge, boarding gate and on board with little gifts and treats.

No wonder the other time the ANA F pax got DYKWIA... the treatment is way off.
That's very nice, but not consistently applied. I have flown very anonymously on my birthday.

But glad to hear that they made your day
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 11:39 am
  #683  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,489
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That's very nice, but not consistently applied. I have flown very anonymously on my birthday.

But glad to hear that they made your day
Maybe they made a big deal out of it after the ANA incident lol...
coolfish1103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 3:03 pm
  #684  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
Maybe they made a big deal out of it after the ANA incident lol...
It may just be wery new that they do it. Will try to fly in my next birthday....
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 6:07 pm
  #685  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,489
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
It may just be wery new that they do it. Will try to fly in my next birthday....
It was actually a bit overboard, but I would say in a good way as they are really treating you like a VIP.

The boarding pass got printed, the check in agent says happy birthday after shes saws the boarding pass has !! Happy Birthday !! printed on there. I thought of correcting her (cause it already passed), but did not bother cause once she said it, everyone around who helps you with bags and stuff says it. I was not really into correcting everyone who reads the boarding pass, so why not let's celebrate. When you go through the JGC security, the lady also says it, so yeah. However, the airport immigration lady did not look at it though, so this is really just JAL doing it.

Once in the lounge the counter lady scans the boarding pass and reads it (I think it pop-ed up in her screen), then the entire lounge staff saying happy birthday to you. They even have those happy birthday cards written with some lounge snacks in it to give before you leave, so I would believe this is part of the SOP. Once you take off, the entire group says happy birthday to you again when you pass by the counter (so I guess I was being monitored in the lounge lol).

At boarding gate the first lady who checks the boarding pass also says the wishes, but the guy who scans the boarding pass did not say anything, so sometimes a read is required to figure it out. I was wrong. The purser and attendants still knows it once on board even though I only showed the right side of the boarding pass with the !! Happy Birthday !! hidden in my passport. I guess they have something hard coded in the system and printed for the cabin. The cabin was full, but you have all 4 of the attendants rotating to come and greet you wishes. Towards the end of the flight, a specially made fruit plate with happy birthday was given... so they tried to really please the guests with whatever they have.

Since I am not special guest or big corp. owner/officers so there is no one to greet me at LAX. One would think it's over off the plane.... but no... the happy birthday comes back to haunt you at the carousels. I thought I got the wrong bag cause there are weird things tied on the bags. ...but it was the right bag! It just has another birthday card attached to it (by Narita Airport check in staff). I guess they attached the card after I left the check in counter. Somehow it got on to the bag without me seeing it.

So you get...

1. A boarding pass with !! Happy Birthday !! on there,
2. A Happy Birthday card from the Lounge with snacks in it.
3. A decorated Happy Birthday fruit plate in flight, and
4. Another Happy Birthday card attached to your bag.

Why would you choose another airline over JAL for your birthday then if it's an option
rustykettel likes this.
coolfish1103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 6:52 pm
  #686  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,884
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
It was actually a bit overboard, but I would say in a good way as they are really treating you like a VIP.

The boarding pass got printed, the check in agent says happy birthday after shes saws the boarding pass has !! Happy Birthday !! printed on there. I thought of correcting her (cause it already passed), but did not bother cause once she said it, everyone around who helps you with bags and stuff says it. I was not really into correcting everyone who reads the boarding pass, so why not let's celebrate. When you go through the JGC security, the lady also says it, so yeah. However, the airport immigration lady did not look at it though, so this is really just JAL doing it.

Once in the lounge the counter lady scans the boarding pass and reads it (I think it pop-ed up in her screen), then the entire lounge staff saying happy birthday to you. They even have those happy birthday cards written with some lounge snacks in it to give before you leave, so I would believe this is part of the SOP. Once you take off, the entire group says happy birthday to you again when you pass by the counter (so I guess I was being monitored in the lounge lol).

At boarding gate the first lady who checks the boarding pass also says the wishes, but the guy who scans the boarding pass did not say anything, so sometimes a read is required to figure it out. I was wrong. The purser and attendants still knows it once on board even though I only showed the right side of the boarding pass with the !! Happy Birthday !! hidden in my passport. I guess they have something hard coded in the system and printed for the cabin. The cabin was full, but you have all 4 of the attendants rotating to come and greet you wishes. Towards the end of the flight, a specially made fruit plate with happy birthday was given... so they tried to really please the guests with whatever they have.

Since I am not special guest or big corp. owner/officers so there is no one to greet me at LAX. One would think it's over off the plane.... but no... the happy birthday comes back to haunt you at the carousels. I thought I got the wrong bag cause there are weird things tied on the bags. ...but it was the right bag! It just has another birthday card attached to it (by Narita Airport check in staff). I guess they attached the card after I left the check in counter. Somehow it got on to the bag without me seeing it.

So you get...

1. A boarding pass with !! Happy Birthday !! on there,
2. A Happy Birthday card from the Lounge with snacks in it.
3. A decorated Happy Birthday fruit plate in flight, and
4. Another Happy Birthday card attached to your bag.

Why would you choose another airline over JAL for your birthday then if it's an option
probably got this because you were in F?
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 8:08 pm
  #687  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,489
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

probably got this because you were in F?
That may have influenced.

Would the system not print the !! if I was flying in C or Y? It's weird that they would print it based on the region time and not where I am physically at.
coolfish1103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 8:29 pm
  #688  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,884
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
That may have influenced.

Would the system not print the !! if I was flying in C or Y? It's weird that they would print it based on the region time and not where I am physically at.
Must be an Amadeus thing. They didn't print that when I flew on my actual birthday (both physical and registered region LOL) before the migration
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 9:19 pm
  #689  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,489
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Must be an Amadeus thing. They didn't print that when I flew on my actual birthday (both physical and registered region LOL) before the migration
Time for you to try it just like CPH thinks.

I am going to keep this boarding pass cause none of my friends have ever seen a boarding pass with !! Happy Birthday !! on it, albeit the wrong date.
coolfish1103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 18, 9:26 pm
  #690  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,884
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
Time for you to try it just like CPH thinks.

I am going to keep this boarding pass cause none of my friends have ever seen a boarding pass with !! Happy Birthday !! on it, albeit the wrong date.
unlikely for me to do that any time soon with JL if I stick to my regular travel pattern, especially not ex-Japan
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread