Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JMB Sakura Lounge] The JAL Forum Conversational Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[JMB Sakura Lounge] The JAL Forum Conversational Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Amadeus really sucks. Searching for upgradable r/t fares on JL website shows only X fares available on my inbound date. When switched to multi city search, it correctly quote E fares both ways on the same date

and then even multi city booking is problematic. I am same flights but searching them as individual segment vs connection, e.g. LAX-NRT and NRT-HKG ca LAX-HKG, results in different fares and one of them is 2x of the other!

it was ok when JL first made the switch but now it’s getting worse. What’s going on?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Is it pricing as two separate fares instead of as a through fare?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
no lol they just somehow booked one of the legs as J instead of the lower bucket
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Ticket service fee for award tickets is being increased to match those of paid tickets eff 12/19:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/inter/tsf.html

China has not increased
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:14 am
Original Poster

JL claims one of the flights isn't available in X class but it has been days and it's still quoting me the X class fare online. It only failed during the seat selection phase. Other sites e.g. aa.com don't seem to have problem selling me that fare (at least not till after I've entered everything before clicking the confirm purchase button...but I really don't want a 001 stock ticket LOL
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:00 am

Just had a memorable flight on JAL.

Was caught in surprise that they print !! Happy Birthday !! on boarding passes base on your registration region cause it was technically already 11/4 in Narita.

Then, you had everyone wishes you Happy Birthday from check in, security, lounge, boarding gate and on board with little gifts and treats.

No wonder the other time the ANA F pax got DYKWIA... the treatment is way off.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Just had a memorable flight on JAL.

Was caught in surprise that they print !! Happy Birthday !! on boarding passes base on your registration region cause it was technically already 11/4 in Narita.

Then, you had everyone wishes you Happy Birthday from check in, security, lounge, boarding gate and on board with little gifts and treats.

No wonder the other time the ANA F pax got DYKWIA... the treatment is way off.
That's very nice, but not consistently applied. I have flown very anonymously on my birthday.

But glad to hear that they made your day
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's very nice, but not consistently applied. I have flown very anonymously on my birthday.

But glad to hear that they made your day
Maybe they made a big deal out of it after the ANA incident lol...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Maybe they made a big deal out of it after the ANA incident lol...
It may just be wery new that they do it. Will try to fly in my next birthday....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It may just be wery new that they do it. Will try to fly in my next birthday....
It was actually a bit overboard, but I would say in a good way as they are really treating you like a VIP.

The boarding pass got printed, the check in agent says happy birthday after shes saws the boarding pass has !! Happy Birthday !! printed on there. I thought of correcting her (cause it already passed), but did not bother cause once she said it, everyone around who helps you with bags and stuff says it. I was not really into correcting everyone who reads the boarding pass, so why not let's celebrate. When you go through the JGC security, the lady also says it, so yeah. However, the airport immigration lady did not look at it though, so this is really just JAL doing it.

Once in the lounge the counter lady scans the boarding pass and reads it (I think it pop-ed up in her screen), then the entire lounge staff saying happy birthday to you. They even have those happy birthday cards written with some lounge snacks in it to give before you leave, so I would believe this is part of the SOP. Once you take off, the entire group says happy birthday to you again when you pass by the counter (so I guess I was being monitored in the lounge lol).

At boarding gate the first lady who checks the boarding pass also says the wishes, but the guy who scans the boarding pass did not say anything, so sometimes a read is required to figure it out. I was wrong. The purser and attendants still knows it once on board even though I only showed the right side of the boarding pass with the !! Happy Birthday !! hidden in my passport. I guess they have something hard coded in the system and printed for the cabin. The cabin was full, but you have all 4 of the attendants rotating to come and greet you wishes. Towards the end of the flight, a specially made fruit plate with happy birthday was given... so they tried to really please the guests with whatever they have.

Since I am not special guest or big corp. owner/officers so there is no one to greet me at LAX. One would think it's over off the plane.... but no... the happy birthday comes back to haunt you at the carousels. I thought I got the wrong bag cause there are weird things tied on the bags. ...but it was the right bag! It just has another birthday card attached to it (by Narita Airport check in staff). I guess they attached the card after I left the check in counter. Somehow it got on to the bag without me seeing it.

So you get...

1. A boarding pass with !! Happy Birthday !! on there,
2. A Happy Birthday card from the Lounge with snacks in it.
3. A decorated Happy Birthday fruit plate in flight, and
4. Another Happy Birthday card attached to your bag.

Why would you choose another airline over JAL for your birthday then if it's an option
rustykettel likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

It was actually a bit overboard, but I would say in a good way as they are really treating you like a VIP.

The boarding pass got printed, the check in agent says happy birthday after shes saws the boarding pass has !! Happy Birthday !! printed on there. I thought of correcting her (cause it already passed), but did not bother cause once she said it, everyone around who helps you with bags and stuff says it. I was not really into correcting everyone who reads the boarding pass, so why not let's celebrate. When you go through the JGC security, the lady also says it, so yeah. However, the airport immigration lady did not look at it though, so this is really just JAL doing it.

Once in the lounge the counter lady scans the boarding pass and reads it (I think it pop-ed up in her screen), then the entire lounge staff saying happy birthday to you. They even have those happy birthday cards written with some lounge snacks in it to give before you leave, so I would believe this is part of the SOP. Once you take off, the entire group says happy birthday to you again when you pass by the counter (so I guess I was being monitored in the lounge lol).

At boarding gate the first lady who checks the boarding pass also says the wishes, but the guy who scans the boarding pass did not say anything, so sometimes a read is required to figure it out. I was wrong. The purser and attendants still knows it once on board even though I only showed the right side of the boarding pass with the !! Happy Birthday !! hidden in my passport. I guess they have something hard coded in the system and printed for the cabin. The cabin was full, but you have all 4 of the attendants rotating to come and greet you wishes. Towards the end of the flight, a specially made fruit plate with happy birthday was given... so they tried to really please the guests with whatever they have.

Since I am not special guest or big corp. owner/officers so there is no one to greet me at LAX. One would think it's over off the plane.... but no... the happy birthday comes back to haunt you at the carousels. I thought I got the wrong bag cause there are weird things tied on the bags. ...but it was the right bag! It just has another birthday card attached to it (by Narita Airport check in staff). I guess they attached the card after I left the check in counter. Somehow it got on to the bag without me seeing it.

So you get...

1. A boarding pass with !! Happy Birthday !! on there,
2. A Happy Birthday card from the Lounge with snacks in it.
3. A decorated Happy Birthday fruit plate in flight, and
4. Another Happy Birthday card attached to your bag.

Why would you choose another airline over JAL for your birthday then if it's an option
probably got this because you were in F?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak

probably got this because you were in F?
That may have influenced.

Would the system not print the !! if I was flying in C or Y? It's weird that they would print it based on the region time and not where I am physically at.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

That may have influenced.

Would the system not print the !! if I was flying in C or Y? It's weird that they would print it based on the region time and not where I am physically at.
Must be an Amadeus thing. They didn't print that when I flew on my actual birthday (both physical and registered region LOL) before the migration
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Must be an Amadeus thing. They didn't print that when I flew on my actual birthday (both physical and registered region LOL) before the migration
Time for you to try it just like CPH thinks.

I am going to keep this boarding pass cause none of my friends have ever seen a boarding pass with !! Happy Birthday !! on it, albeit the wrong date.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Time for you to try it just like CPH thinks.

I am going to keep this boarding pass cause none of my friends have ever seen a boarding pass with !! Happy Birthday !! on it, albeit the wrong date.
unlikely for me to do that any time soon with JL if I stick to my regular travel pattern, especially not ex-Japan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.