Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Please do NOT post your individual questions here. This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself.

If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Remember you are always welcome start a new thread for your specific questions or use the flame free newbie lounge thread! Thanks for your cooperation.
Print Wikipost

Japan Airlines/JAL Mileage Bank FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:49 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Japan Airlines/JAL Mileage Bank FAQ

Feel free to contribute to this FAQ and give suggestions. Thanks

Welcome to the Japan Airlines Forum! This is the FAQ thread for JAL and JAL Mileage Bank (JMB).

This thread is based on the Unofficial Guide to Japan Airlines and JAL Mileage Bank (JMB) started by sipples back in 2006 but unfortunately sipples has switched to the darkside since then and the information in the original FAQ are outdated. Therefore I have started this FAQ thread and hopefully will help people answer some general questions on JAL and JMB.

I will try to follow the format of the AA FAQ thread. Therefore if you have suggestions or corrections specifically pertaining to this FAQ, please feel free to post them directly to this thread. Please do NOT post your individual questions here. This thread is reserved for discussing the content of the FAQ itself. If you have a question that is not answered directly by one of the FAQ entries, please find and post to the appropriate thread. Remember you are always welcome start a new thread for your specific questions! Thanks for your cooperation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elite Status
• What are the JMB elite status?
• What is JAL Global Club?
• If I'm a JMB elite, which oneworld elite level am I?
• How can I qualify for JMB elite status?
• Does JAL codeshare flights operated by other carriers considered as JAL Group flights for FOP calculation?
• What are FLY ON points? How do I earn them?
• How are FLY ON points calculated?
• When do I qualify for elite status?
• How will I know I am an elite JMB member?
• Does JAL offer status matches or Challenges?
• Does JAL offer lifetime status?
• Can I purchase elite status?
• Can I qualify for elite status without flying?
• What is the Century 21 Club? Are there any other "secret" benefits given to JMB elite

Upgrades and Awards
• Do JMB elites enjoy free business class or first class upgrades?
• How do I book award travel using my JMB miles?
• Will I still earn JMB miles on award travel?
• What will happen to my miles if I cancel my award ticket?
• When can I book my award ticket?
• How do I reserve an upgrade?
• Are discounted upgrades available at check in?
• Which fares are upgradeable? How do I book them?
• Can I upgrade an Award ticket?
• Will I get F/C mileage credit for my upgraded flight?
• I want to redeem an award but don't have enough miles, can I purchase miles through JMB?
• Are there one-way awards?

JMB Account Maintenance
• When do JMB miles expire? Is there any way to extend their life?
• Is there a minimum mileage credit for JAL flights?
• How are miles calculated?
• How long does it take for miles and points to post to my account?
• How reliable is JAL in posting miles to my JMB account?
• Are there JMB mileage-earning credit cards?

Before You Fly
• Can I order a special meal on JAL? Can I do so online?
• Can I preassign seats? Can I do so online?
• Can I check in online? When can I do it?
• Where do I find JAL seat maps?

At the Airport
• What terminal does JAL use at Narita (NRT)?
• What terminal does JAL use at Haneda (HND)?
• How early should I arrive for check in?
• Does JAL have electronic kiosk check in?
• Is there an elite security line at Narita?
• Is there an elite security line at Haneda?
• Are discounted upgrades available at check in?
• Will I have to pay checked baggage fees?
• Will I have lounge access on my itinerary?
• Which lounge will I have access base on my class of travel if I am connecting between flights which I travel on different classes?
• Can I purchase a lounge pass?
• What is JAL's boarding procedure?

Onboard
• Do I have to pay for my drinks and food onboard?
• What's JAL's inflight entertainment like?
• What is MAGIC?
• Where can I find the IFE programs on my flights?
• Where can I find the menu on my flights?
• Can I reserve my meal choice in advance?
• What is JAL's aircraft seating like?
• Does JAL serve alcohol in all classes?
• How much carry on luggage can I bring aboard?
• What kind of plug do I need for power port?
• Does JAL provide Wi-Fi service onboard?
• Is the JAL SKY Wi-Fi service FREE?

Upon Arrival
• Does JAL have arrival lounge?
• What are the priority baggage handling order?

Last edited by JALPak; Apr 22, 2014 at 5:17 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

• What are the JMB elite status?

There are 4 different levels of JMB elite status: JMB Crystal, JMB Sapphire, JGC Premier and JMB Diamond with JMB Diamond being the top tier.

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:55 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

• What is JAL Global Club?

JAL Global Club is another recognition program for JMB members. It is separate and parallel to JMB elite status. There are two levels: JGC and JGC Premier. First time JGC membership is available once you reach Sapphire elite level. It is optional, and for overseas JMB members without a JALCard, it requires a deduction of 5,000 JMB miles from your account to join (although you will earn back a 3,000 mile bonus when you take your first flight each year after becoming a JGC member). For Japan region member, you need to apply for a JGC JALCard in order to join JGC. You should receive a JGC membership application with (or at approximately the same time as) your Sapphire elite mailing. Return the completed application within two months of receiving it and you will receive JGC membership.

You can retain your JGC membership indefinitely, regardless of JAL flight activity, with an annual deduction of miles, through continued payment of a qualifying JAL-branded credit card's annual fee, by accumulating at least 25,000 FLY ON points, or by flying at least 10 sectors. There are non-flight ways to earn JMB miles, so theoretically you could retain JGC status without flying. In fact, with careful management of your JMB account, for the occasional JAL flyer JGC works quite well: you only need 5,000 miles per year to sustain membership. JGC members enjoy unique benefits that may be of interest to many JAL flyers, so most people join JGC when given the opportunity.

JGC Premier status is for JGC members who reach 80,000 FLY ON points with at least 40,000 FLY ON Points earned on JAL Group flights or 80 sectors with a min of 40 JAL Group flights and 25,000 FLY ON points within a calendar year*. JGC Premier has some additional benefits, described in the JGC Membership Guide, including 100% mileage bonuses when flying JAL.

The fact that there are two somewhat overlapping elite programs can be a little confusing, but if you want some simple advice it's this: join JGC if you get the opportunity, and try to retain your membership if you think the benefits will be valuable.

Details of JGC can be found here:
Overseas: http://www.ar.jal.com/world/en/jalmile/jgc/
Japan: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/jgc.html

* FOPs and number of sectors on JAL Group flights are new requirements effective Jan 1 2012 (http://www.jal.co.jp/cms/jalmile/en/en_jmb_238.html)

Last edited by JALPak; Dec 17, 2011 at 7:03 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

• If I'm a JMB elite, which oneworld elite level am I?

JMB Crystal -> OW Ruby
JMB Sapphire -> OW Sapphire
JMB Diamond -> OW Emerald

JGC -> OW Sapphire
JGC Crystal -> OW Sapphire
JGC Sapphire -> OW Sapphire
JGC Premier -> OW Emerald
JGC Diamond -> OW Emerald

Last edited by JALPak; Mar 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

• How can I qualify for JMB elite status?

There are two ways to qualify. You can either qualify by FLY ON points or by sectors.

Your FOPs and number of sectors within each calendar year determines your elite status. At New Year's (January 1) of each year JAL resets your FOPs and sector number to zero, and you have to start again to qualify or re-qualify for elite status.

Below are the qualifications*:
JMB Crystal: 30,000 FOPs with min of 15,000 FOPs on JAL Group flights or 30 flights with a min of 15 JAL Group flights and 10,000 FOPs
JMB Sapphire: 50,000 FOPs with min of 25,000 FOPs on JAL Group flights or 50 flights with a min of 15 JAL Group flights and 15,000 FOPs
JGC Premier: For JGC members only. 80,000 FOPs with a min of 40,000 FOPs on JAL Group flights or 80 flights with a min of 40 JAL Group flights and 25,000 FOPs
JMB Diamond: 100,000 FOPs with a min of 50,000 FOPs on JAL Group flights or 100 flights with a min of 50 JAL Group flights and 35,000 FOPs

* min FOPs and sectors on JAL Group flight requirements are effective from Jan 1 2012. (http://www.jal.co.jp/cms/jalmile/en/en_jmb_238.html)

Last edited by JALPak; Mar 29, 2012 at 5:43 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

• What are FLY ON points (FOPs)? How do I earn them?

FLY ON points are the elite qualifying points (EQPs) in JMB. If you earn a sufficient number of FLY ON points within a calendar year you can rise to a JMB elite level.

There's only one way to earn FLY ON points: FLY! Your boarding pass must have a oneworld airline's flight number (including JAL and its subsidiaries), and the flight must be credited to your JMB account, in order to earn FLY ON points. Except for rare exceptions the flight must also be operated by a oneworld carrier.

JAL's domestic flights earn 2 FLY ON points per base mile earned. Flight segments between Japan and China (including Hong Kong), Asia, Oceania earn 1.5 FLY ON points per mile. All other international flights earn 1 FLY ON point per mile.

Base miles vary by fare class and carrier. For example, there are bonuses for business class and first class. For details, please visit http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/flyon/guide.html.

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 16, 2017 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

• How are FLY ON points calculated?

FOPs = Base Miles x FOP conversion rate + bonus FOPs

Base miles is the number of miles you get for your flight.

The conversion rate are:
- 2 for JAL Group domestic flights
- 1.5 for JAL Group flights to China including Hong Kong, Asia, Oceania
- 1 for the rest of the flights.

Certain booking classes will give you an extra 200 or 400 FOPs bonus. For detail, please visit: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/flyon/guide.html

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 16, 2017 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

• When do I qualify for elite status?

JAL does not recognize your status immediately after reaching a sufficient number of FLY ON points. It may take up to two months' delay*.

You will enjoy at least 13 months as an elite JMB member once earned. Elite status expires on March 31st in the year following the full calendar year after attaining elite status. For example, if you attain the Sapphire elite level on June 5, 2007 (two months after your qualifying flight), then you will remain a Sapphire member until March 31, 2009 (or longer if you re-qualify in 2008). There is no "soft landing": in the same example, if you do not re-qualify in 2008 for any elite level then you will revert to a regular JMB member (not Crystal) on April 1, 2009. However, JAL Global Club membership is a possible way to enjoy something like a "soft landing."

For more information on JAL elite status, please visit http://www.ar.jal.com/world/en/jmb/index04.html

*From January 2014, JAL will shorten the wait between status qualification and commencement of elite service. Instead of waiting for 2 months for the advance service to start, you will only need to wait for around 1 week. But this only applies to services that do not require your membership card. You will still have to wait for your membership card to arrive to enjoy those services that require you to present your membership card, which include all airport services. Membership card will still be sent out on a monthly basis.

Last edited by JALPak; Nov 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

• How will I know I am an elite JMB member?

Besides receiving a new JMB elite card in the mail or asking, you will see a Crystal, Sapphire, JGC Premier, or Diamond symbol after you log onto your JMB account. Also, when JAL recognizes you as a new Sapphire elite level member, your JAL economy class boarding pass will start to indicate lounge access at the lower left.

Last edited by JALPak; Nov 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

• Does JAL offer status matches or Challenges?

No, there are no known shortcuts to JMB elite status for the general public. However if your company has a corporate contract with JAL or you are a VIP, you might be able to obtain JMB status in the easy way. For the rest of us, you may be able to take advantage of other programs' challenges or status matching in order to enjoy oneworld elite benefits when flying JAL.

Last edited by JALPak; Nov 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

• Does JAL offer lifetime status?

NO. But JAL has a semi-lifetime status program called JAL Global Club (JGC) and there's a lifetime program, JGC Five Star, that awards loyal JAL flyers with gifts based on their life time BIS miles on JAL international flights and BIS sectors on JAL domestic flights.

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 17, 2017 at 10:13 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

• Can I purchase elite status?

Yes and no. There is a credit card in Japan that is only offered to new Lexus car owners. With this credit card you will get 1 year of complimentary JMB Crystal status. Other than this, there is no published way to buy your JMB elite status.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

• Can I qualify for elite status without flying?

Yes and No.

For new Lexus car owners in Japan they can qualify for JMB Crystal for one year with certain credit card that's only available to them.

For JAL Global Club members, you can re-qualify as a JMB elite by renewing your JGC membership which does not require any flying.

Other than these, you have to fly and earn enough FLY ON points to qualify for JMB elite status
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

• What is the Century 21 Club? Are there any other "secret" benefits given to JMB elite

There are no "secret" benefits, but there are some lesser known elite benefits.

There are a few hotels in Japan that have JAL-sponsored lounges, called the "Century 21 Clubs." These clubs, which cater to businesspeople, are open to JAL's higher tier elites without admission charge. Drinks and food, however, are not free.

Higher tier elites receive luggage tags, calendar, etc. JAL will send flowers to a Diamond or JGC Premier's chosen recipient, once per year, free of charge if they choose that as their service selection.

Last edited by JALPak; Jul 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

• Do JMB elites enjoy free business class or first class upgrades?

Sometimes. There are at least four ways JMB elites (especially higher tier elites) enjoy class upgrades:

1. Elite flyers receive upgrade points (for "Class J" domestic upgrades and/or international upgrades), with more points for higher level elites.*

2. Elite flyers enjoy "op ups" (operational upgrades) on those rare occasions when JAL must free seats for extra passengers or for overbooked flights.

3. Some flights use international 3-class (first/business/economy) / (business/premium economy/economy) aircraft but are sold as 2-class (business/economy). In such cases JAL may reseat JMB elites in the next higher cabin.

4. Some flights (especially daytime short and medium haul international flights) have "too many" business class seats for market demand, so JAL will split the business class cabin and assign some of the business class seats to economy class. These seats are then available to elites who wish to select them through the Web site or, if still available, at airport check-in. Cabin service will be to economy class standards. If you're a JMB elite at a sufficient tier to select these seats, you'll see them at JAL's Web site when you access your economy class reservation and try to change your seat.

5. In 2012, JAL has rewarded elites with domestic class J-e coupons** and top level elites domestic first class coupons

* Upgrade points has been discontinued. Upgrade points in your account will expire on March 31 2013.
** Domestic class J-e coupons will be discontinued and expire on March 31 2017.

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 17, 2017 at 10:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.