NRT 20-hour layover: Can I stay in secure side?

Old Sep 3, 10, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
NRT 20-hour layover: Can I stay in secure side?

Please advise...
I am scheduled as follows (F inbound, J outbound...but I doubt it matters)
Arrive at 1325 on AA175
Depart following day at 0955 on JL731
Upon arriving at NRT, will I be able to stay on the secure side?
If not, will I be able to re-enter the secure side the same day of arrival?
I am considering just staying in the airport for the 20+ hours, but only if I can stay on the secure side and spend lots of time (at least the arrival day) at the wonderful Sakura Club and walking NRT.
If I cannot stay inside NRT secure side, I'll just get a Narita Town hotel due to early departure.

Last edited by AAJetMan; Sep 3, 10 at 12:53 pm
Old Sep 3, 10, 1:19 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
NRT is not a 24 hour airport. You probably won't be able to re-enter the secure-side given your departure is on the following day.

You can connect on JL735 which departs in the evening if you don't want to stay overnight in NRT.
Old Sep 3, 10, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you.
Old Sep 3, 10, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAJetMan View Post
I am considering just staying in the airport for the 20+ hours, but only if I can stay on the secure side and spend lots of time (at least the arrival day) at the wonderful Sakura Club and walking NRT.
Why stay at the lounge, when you've got the real thing so close at hand?

Why stay at NRT when you're so close to Tokyo?

Why spend so much on F/C tix if you'll end up spending 20hrs at NRT? OK there's worse airports than NRT, but NRT isn't so great either.

I know it is summer, and you're from Dallas and you probably think you will wanna hide out in the airco, but at this time of the year the weather in TYO isn't that bad at all, unless if you get hit by a typhoon.

I know you'll have a jet lag and maybe you're afraid you'll miss your flight.

Still, it would be a pity to miss out on all the fun there's to be had downtown.

my 2cts.
Old Sep 3, 10, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maeharasmuse View Post
Why stay at the lounge, when you've got the real thing so close at hand?

Why stay at NRT when you're so close to Tokyo?

Why spend so much on F/C tix if you'll end up spending 20hrs at NRT? OK there's worse airports than NRT, but NRT isn't so great either.

I know it is summer, and you're from Dallas and you probably think you will wanna hide out in the airco, but at this time of the year the weather in TYO isn't that bad at all, unless if you get hit by a typhoon.

I know you'll have a jet lag and maybe you're afraid you'll miss your flight.

Still, it would be a pity to miss out on all the fun there's to be had downtown.

my 2cts.
I agree that Tokyo is an amazing city. I found it fantastic to walk around an area, then hop into the metro and emerge somewhere that appears like a completely different city!!
But I am on an AllPartner Award and can't stay longer than 24 hours...Tokyo is just a layover, not a stopover.
Since I love NRT and the clubs so much, I'll not try to hurry into town for just a few hours (excluding the overnight time).
In fact, since I wouldn't have been able to stay airside, I may just change my connection to same-day JL707 and spend 4 or 5 hours inside NRT rather than 20 hours outside.
Old Sep 3, 10, 7:59 pm

Layover

If you find you want a few hours of R and R for the layover there used to be a Holiday Inn type hotel within walking distance form the airport which one could check in at an hourly rate...Its been some years since I was there last so perhaps someone else could confirm if it's still in existence...It was nice to take a shower and relax for a few hours waiting for my connection to SIN since the airport is not open 24 hours..Just a thought
Old Sep 3, 10, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fox Trot View Post
If you find you want a few hours of R and R for the layover there used to be a Holiday Inn type hotel within walking distance form the airport which one could check in at an hourly rate...Its been some years since I was there last so perhaps someone else could confirm if it's still in existence...It was nice to take a shower and relax for a few hours waiting for my connection to SIN since the airport is not open 24 hours..Just a thought
Nice!
And can you literally walk there, or are the roads such that you'd need ground transport?
Old Sep 3, 10, 9:02 pm

In fact, since I wouldn't have been able to stay airside, I may just change my connection to same-day JL707 and spend 4 or 5 hours inside NRT rather than 20 hours outside.
Now you are confusing me. JL731 is to HKG and JL707 is to BKK
Old Sep 3, 10, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Now you are confusing me. JL731 is to HKG and JL707 is to BKK
You are correct. The routing was originally DFW-NRT-HKG-BKK.
But now I've changed it to DFW-NRT-BKK.
I am bypassing the HKG connection -- and 10 hours at the airport, which I'll be sad to miss -- because I couldn't get first availability anyway on the NRT-HKG or HKG-BKK.
It was a tough decision, but if I'm gonna be "stuck" in business, I might as well just go ahead and fly the non-stop.
Besides, this is a pretty short trip (about 3 weeks), and I'll have some 12 hours in HKG on the return (BKK-HKG-SFO...catching the 747!!!!!!!!)
Old Sep 3, 10, 10:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Nice!
And can you literally walk there, or are the roads such that you'd need ground transport?
The Holiday Inn has a shuttle bus that runs fairly frequently but better yet, why not simply call JAL for a hotel room. Every time I've had an overnight layover on a paid ticket, a hotel room at the Nikko was included. Note however, that does not apply to an award ticket.
Old Sep 3, 10, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
The Holiday Inn has a shuttle bus that runs fairly frequently but better yet, why not simply call JAL for a hotel room. Every time I've had an overnight layover on a paid ticket, a hotel room at the Nikko was included. Note however, that does not apply to an award ticket.
It's an AA award. No free hotel. Personally I would fly on JL731 and hope for F award opens up in the last minute. This is the last route with 744 with SkySleeper seats. After this month, it will switch to 772 with no F seats
Old Sep 5, 10, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TSA Pre, GE
Narita Ryokan

The town of Narita has some very fine Onsen Ryokans.
We make a point of an overnight layover, when we go to Thailand.
An evening with Japanese food and hot springs can really break a trip up.

Search this Thread