Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome to Japan Airpass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to Japan Airpass

Hello,

Has anyone used the Welcome to Japan airpass from JAL before? I have rang the JAL office in London and its seems a bit complicated to get these kind of airpass.

Also, I know JAL do very cheap J-class domestic tickets, can I upgrade to J-class with the airpass??

Thank you.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:33 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rontse
Hello,

Has anyone used the Welcome to Japan airpass from JAL before? I have rang the JAL office in London and its seems a bit complicated to get these kind of airpass.

Also, I know JAL do very cheap J-class domestic tickets, can I upgrade to J-class with the airpass??

Thank you.
You can but only do-able at check in if there are seats available. By the way it's class J not J class lol It's not really a business class seat, it's more like a premium economy one
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
getting the "airpass" has not proved complicated if we're talking about the same thing. simply book a RT to Japan on a one-world carrier and then call your carrier up and ask for that sort of fare.

no problems doing so w/ AA in the USA. done so twice in the last two years.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:43 pm

If you are using a travel agent, he/she should be able to buy this for you too. No hassle at all. If you are flying JAL to Japan, you can even put everything in a single booking!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
You can but only do-able at check in if there are seats available. By the way it's class J not J class lol It's not really a business class seat, it's more like a premium economy one
dont think that will happen then, apparently they sold out very quickly. thanks for the correction btw.

Originally Posted by virmaior
getting the "airpass" has not proved complicated if we're talking about the same thing. simply book a RT to Japan on a one-world carrier and then call your carrier up and ask for that sort of fare.

no problems doing so w/ AA in the USA. done so twice in the last two years.
Unfortunately, Im not flying with oneworld, Im flying with LH (A380s to NRT is the reason). JAL needs my return ticket details and my utility bills before they will let me book the airpass.

Thanks for the info anyway.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:50 pm

dont think that will happen then, apparently they sold out very quickly. thanks for the correction btw.

Unfortunately, Im not flying with oneworld, Im flying with LH (A380s to NRT is the reason). JAL needs my return ticket details and my utility bills before they will let me book the airpass.

Thanks for the info anyway.
Have you tried ANA? They have similar pass for *A

I have successfully upgraded me and my family at check in couple of times, without waitlisting. If class J isn't full the day before your flight, try to get to the airport early to secure the upgrade. Of course, there were times I couldn't get the upgrade even with waitlisting too! Good luck!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC
JAL Welcome to Japan Fare

JAL "Yokoso/Visit Japan Fare" and "Welcome to Japan Fare"
http://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/

For comparison,
ANA Visit Japan Fare
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/general/e/t...ial/visit.html
ANA Star Alliance Japan Airpass
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/general/e/t...l/airpass.html
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA:1MM

I think you must be talking about the more general "visit japan" versus the one-world or *A passes. (see for instance http://www.his-usa.com/en/cms/Cms.aspx?CG_ID=ec-en for a list of all three).

why not just use the *A ones? they are cheaper at 11000Y/segment than the generic one.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oorinara
JAL "Yokoso/Visit Japan Fare" and "Welcome to Japan Fare"
http://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/

For comparison,
ANA Visit Japan Fare
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/general/e/t...ial/visit.html
ANA Star Alliance Japan Airpass
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/general/e/t...l/airpass.html
Thank you for the links!!

Originally Posted by JALPak
Have you tried ANA? They have similar pass for *A

I have successfully upgraded me and my family at check in couple of times, without waitlisting. If class J isn't full the day before your flight, try to get to the airport early to secure the upgrade. Of course, there were times I couldn't get the upgrade even with waitlisting too! Good luck!
Yeh, I think I probably go with ANA *A airpass, just checked their flight schedules and its not much different from JAL's.

How do you get upgraded at check-in?? do you just asked for it?

Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:51 pm

Thank you for the links!!

Yeh, I think I probably go with ANA *A airpass, just checked their flight schedules and its not much different from JAL's.

How do you get upgraded at check-in?? do you just asked for it?

Thanks.
Yes, just tell the check in agent you want to upgrade to class J
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Does anyone know what fare class the Yosoko pass books into? According to ExpertFlyer, JL only has two domestic economy fare buckets published: Y and G.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Does anyone know what fare class the Yosoko pass books into? According to ExpertFlyer, JL only has two domestic economy fare buckets published: Y and G.
If H is offered on the flight, it will be booked in H, otherwise Y
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, Flyingblue Gold, Alitalia Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Potentially silly question here, What worthwhile places can be visited on the Japan Airpass that can't be reached with a JR Rail pass?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by subhi
Potentially silly question here, What worthwhile places can be visited on the Japan Airpass that can't be reached with a JR Rail pass?
Okinawa
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by subhi
While the JR Rail Pass gets you to many places, some places are very hard to get to with the train and are more efficiently served by air. For example, Sapporo, Okinawa, places in Kyushu, Kanazawa, Izumo, etc.

IMO, the best way to see Japan in it's entireity efficiently in a short time is to combine the use of JR Rail Pass and the Yokoso Japan fare together. Then you can do an all inclusive Japan itinerary like this in two weeks:

OW Arrive at NRT or HND
JRRP JR within Tokyo
YJ1 JAL Tokyo-Kagoshima
JRRP JR Kyushu Shinkansen Kagoshima to Kumamoto
JRRP JR Kyushu Kumamoto to Hakata
JRRP JR Kyushu Hakata to Nagasaki
JRRP JR Kyushu Nagasaki to Huis Ten Bosch and back
JRRP JR Kyushu Nagasaki to Hakata; connect to JR Hikari Railstar Hakata to Hiroshima
JRRP JR Hikari Railstar Hiroshima to Okayama
JRRP JR Hikari Railstar Okayama to Himeji then later to Kyoto
JRRP JR Shinkansen Kyoto to Osaka
YJ2 JAL Osaka-Okinawa
YJ3 JAL Okinawa-Tokyo
YJ4 JAL Tokyo-Sapporo
JRRP JR Hokkaido for intra-Hokkaido travel
YJ5 JAL Sapporo-Tokyo
JRRP JR Shinkansen from Tokyo to Sendai and back
JRRP for within Tokyo
OW Depart from NRT or HND

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.