Old Aug 17, 10, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
JAL Should Keep Sao Paulo (GRU)

http://www.japantoday.com/category/f...-paulo-service

Group asks gov't to save JAL's Narita-Sao Paulo service
Tuesday 17th August, 07:32 AM JST

TOKYO ó
A Japanese-Brazilian group on Friday submitted the signatures of about 12,000 people to the transport ministry asking for the continuation of the bankrupt Japan Airlines Corpís Narita-Sao Paulo service, which is scheduled to be terminated at the end of next month.

The signatures were handed to Senior Vice Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Taizo Mikazuki by Kokei Uehara, chairman of the Brazilian Society of Japanese Culture and Social Services, who was visiting Japan.

JAL has been undergoing a state-backed rehabilitation process since it filed for bankruptcy protection in January.

The signatures were collected by the group and by the federation of Japanese fraternal organizations based in Brazil from about 9,000 people in Brazil and neighboring Paraguay who are mainly of Japanese descent and also from about 3,000 people in Japan.

According to the group and others, the service, launched in 1978, is the only direct flight connecting Japan and Brazil. The group says Japanese-Brazilians are deeply dismayed by JALís planned withdrawal and states in a document submitted with the signatures that terminating the service is tantamount to cutting a lifeline between the two countries.

As a replacement, All Nippon Airways Co. plans to serve the Japan-Brazil route from next month with TAM Brazil Airlines by jointly operating ANAís Narita-London route and TAMís London-Sao Paulo route
Old Aug 17, 10, 5:19 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
I agree that JAL should continue GRU route...going through LHR is just crazy and does not make any sense economically speaking.

During the short period of time when the Jap gov't encouraged massive migration to Brazil, the Japs all sort of counted on JAL as their way to and back home. Now the Jap gov't no longer encourage outflow of Jap population to Brazil more than to any other countries...but the Japs and their family who made it in the ealy days still need the carrier they've always trusted!!! Plus, service to GRU via JFK makes it flexible and adds some additional capacity for NRT-JFK route; much like HKG-YVR-JFK on CX. I've only been on that flight a few times, and it seems that most of the Y pax got on the plane at GRU but most of the J and F pax started their flight at JFK...maybe thats why JAL decided that it wasn't worth it...

in any case, JAL could keep that connection to GRU perhaps through a c/s service at the very least.
Old Aug 17, 10, 6:10 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
They can still fly on JAL to Tokyo but need to ticket with AA...at least the JFK-NRT sector is on JAL this way. But I agree that JAL should at least codeshare with AA on JFK-GRU so people can still ticket with JAL (which I guess won't matter much to JAL after JBV with AA is approved)
Old Aug 18, 10, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
They can still fly on JAL to Tokyo but need to ticket with AA...at least the JFK-NRT sector is on JAL this way. But I agree that JAL should at least codeshare with AA on JFK-GRU so people can still ticket with JAL (which I guess won't matter much to JAL after JBV with AA is approved)
The problem is that under the US-Brazil bilateral airlines outside the US/Brazil cannot codeshare on US-Brazil routes.

In fact, in the Brazil-US bilateral GRU has become slot-restricted, it means no more GRU slots are available for US carriers, which can only expand through other airports such as GIG, BSB, etc. JAL is therefore wasting extremely valuable slots it could use in GRU.

Note that Korean Air flies ICN-GRU and even Air China operates PEK-GRU. There is no excuse for JAL to drop GRU, especially with the coming Wordl Cup 2014 and Olympics 2016 in Brazil, not to mention the booming Brazilian economy.

Rgs,
Old Aug 18, 10, 2:50 am

If it's not making (enough) money, that's enough reason to suspend the flight.
Old Aug 18, 10, 10:24 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, OZ*G, AA Plat
On the other hand, out of curiosity, does the bilateral only restrict codeshares one way? If AA were to want to use the JL flight to get around slot restrictions, maybe it'd keep going. (and also, would ATI+JV extend to this route if it weren't dropped?)
Old Sep 23, 10, 1:39 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Shopping for award seats SFO-GRU during the last week of Dec. was frustrating and I wish JL would have kept that route, especially with MX's demise and one less option to fly there via MEX. Thankfully I scored a rt in J with LA but it took calling almost everyday to check availability.
Old Oct 25, 10, 4:19 am

JAL will codeshare with AA on JFK-GRU from Oct 31.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jal-m...s-network.html

Search this Thread