HKG-NRT

Old Jul 16, 10, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
HKG-NRT

Since I don't normally fly One World...your opinions and insights would be highly appreciated.

In the near future, I will be flying in business class from Hong Kong to Narita?

What can I expect?

Onboard Service = Worthy of a four star airline?
Seat = old style b-class seats?
Meals = snack?
Lounge = I believe I can use the Sakura lounge?

Anything else that can keep my expectations in check would be highly appreciated.
Old Jul 16, 10, 4:15 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by muc2asia View Post
Since I don't normally fly One World...your opinions and insights would be highly appreciated.

In the near future, I will be flying in business class from Hong Kong to Narita?

What can I expect?

Onboard Service = Worthy of a four star airline?
Seat = old style b-class seats?
Meals = snack?
Lounge = I believe I can use the Sakura lounge?

Anything else that can keep my expectations in check would be highly appreciated.
Sometimes they do use long-haul config aircraft on this route but rare (but I am seeing this more often when they switch JL731/732 to HND). Most of the time you will get the Skyluxe seat.

I assume you are flying business class without status, so yes HKG Sakura lounge. I haven't been there yet because I always ran out of time. But I don't think there's much to desire for this lounge.

For ex-HKG meals, you can refer to JAL HK website: http://www.jal.com.hk/zhhk/inflight/meal/index.html But let me warn you, they don't taste/look that good. Most of the time I don't like what they serve on ex-HKG flights
Old Jul 17, 10, 11:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

I assume you are flying business class without status, so yes HKG Sakura lounge. I haven't been there yet because I always ran out of time. But I don't think there's much to desire for this lounge.
Have to agree with Pak on this one, the HKG Sakura lounge is ordinary but it was very close to the gate so I hung out there but next time I'll be sure to go to the Wing or the Pier (CX lounges).
Old Jul 29, 10, 6:12 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
Have to agree with Pak on this one, the HKG Sakura lounge is ordinary...
I agree. Even though JL lounge is easier to find with the airport signage and being around many other airline lounges (eg Eva.), CX lounge is way better and provde perks such as a shower, and Haagen Daz ice cream But if you're flying withotu status I'm not sure if you can get the access. No matter what JAL doesn't provide any service that'd be considered "sub-standard". Although, JAL is sweet in catering its meal service schedule to the PAX sleep cycle and provide snack right before/during sleep hours + breakfast before arrival, or dinner + arrival. Note JAL does not provide pre-departure drinks due to Japanese Air Transport regulations(?).
Old Aug 7, 10, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CX Silver, SPG
Originally Posted by HotelSlave View Post
But if you're flying withotu status I'm not sure if you can get the access.
Yes you can.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/lounge-access

Lounge Access by Class of Travel
Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. (First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline).

Customers flying in Economy class on the domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling the longhaul segment.

Exception: American Airlines AAdvantage® Program members, regardless of their tier status, may not use lounges when travelling solely on North American itineraries (defined as within or between the USA, Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean). In these cases, access rules are governed by American Airlines' own rules (ie paid lounge-access membership).
Old Aug 10, 10, 2:38 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
I rarely fly out of ow so I'm not sure, is it mean for ruby pax and other ow status pax flying in Y, or all pax even if they have nothing ow? I mean, from the example, in their case of example for intra-Euroe flights doesn't particularly speficy for non-ow elites flying in J to use lounges other their own carrier.

Anyhow, I personally find JL lounge outside of Japan fairly consistent of what it offers, ie, free self-service bar+jap beer, free internet, news paper and other int'l publications, some jap-style food/snacks/cup noodles, comp soft drinks etc. And most of the time (in my exp.), the receptionists are so professional that they can engage in a simple convo with you in at least Jap+English+local language spoken. Fabulous and QUIET lounge in all locations.

For the comfort and quality lounge time of other guests, they don't really encourage/allow the use of mobiles in lounge, rare in most carriers.

Last edited by HotelSlave; Aug 10, 10 at 2:40 pm Reason: adding last p.s
Old Aug 11, 10, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
when flying on J/F with a OW airlines, you can usually* use the lounge for the respective class of any OW airlines, irrespective of WHICH OW airline u're flying for.

So in HKG if your'e flying with JL in HK, u can use any of the CX/QF-BA/JL lounges.

* some airlines (read BA, sometimes AA) act like they dont understand english rules, and drive pax out wrongly. (usually they say lounge is full, so FWIW...)
Old Feb 2, 12, 9:49 am

I am flying from HKG-NRT with AA Platinum status on Economy. As per this page, JAL offers the traveller's Lounge:
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/lounge/asia/hkg/

Do u know if I can use the CX lounges?

thanks.
Old Feb 2, 12, 10:26 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by khkchan View Post
I am flying from HKG-NRT with AA Platinum status on Economy. As per this page, JAL offers the traveller's Lounge:
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/lounge/asia/hkg/

Do u know if I can use the CX lounges?

thanks.
Yes with your ow sapphire status

Search this Thread