Advice re. usage of miles...

Old May 23, 10, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Question Advice re. usage of miles...

Hi, everyone. I'm trying to figure out the best use of my miles.

First, a bit of background... I am probably going to try to get JGC status this year (50,000 FOPs). I'm currently at 14,100 FOPs. My wife wants to take the family to Brisbane this summer. After that, I may take a couple of trips to New York in order to make the miles for JGC.

If I remember correctly, award tickets don't accumulate FOPs. Is that correct? (If not, that'll change everything.) If so, I'm thinking of using a bunch of my points as follows: Award tickets to Brisbane for my wife and 2 kids and a few JAL coupons toward my ticket (so I can get FOPs). We currently have a bit over 140,000 miles and will have more soon. That way we can all go cheap, but I still get FOPs.

Does that make sense to you guys? (Again, I'm still trying to figure out how stuff works, so I really appreciate you sharing your experience and wisdom.)

TIA,

Kento
Old May 23, 10, 6:36 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by whkento View Post
Hi, everyone. I'm trying to figure out the best use of my miles.

First, a bit of background... I am probably going to try to get JGC status this year (50,000 FOPs). I'm currently at 14,100 FOPs. My wife wants to take the family to Brisbane this summer. After that, I may take a couple of trips to New York in order to make the miles for JGC.

If I remember correctly, award tickets don't accumulate FOPs. Is that correct? (If not, that'll change everything.) If so, I'm thinking of using a bunch of my points as follows: Award tickets to Brisbane for my wife and 2 kids and a few JAL coupons toward my ticket (so I can get FOPs). We currently have a bit over 140,000 miles and will have more soon. That way we can all go cheap, but I still get FOPs.

Does that make sense to you guys? (Again, I'm still trying to figure out how stuff works, so I really appreciate you sharing your experience and wisdom.)

TIA,

Kento

You guys in Japan are making me jealous! So easy to get miles over there. Nope, award tickets can't accumulate miles/FOPs. But I were you, I would spend the miles for upgrade considered how long the flights are. It's only 30,000 miles for a roundtrip JFK upgrade for Japan members. But of course that would considerably increase your cost

Also, you can consider doing 1 MR trip now to hit JMB Crystal and wait for roughly 2 months before you do the other ones. That way you can earn 50% bonus miles and preassign the exit rows if you are flying in Y.

By the way, are you flying to Tokyo for the meet up? That means more FOPs for you
Old May 24, 10, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
You guys in Japan are making me jealous! So easy to get miles over there. Nope, award tickets can't accumulate miles/FOPs. But I were you, I would spend the miles for upgrade considered how long the flights are. It's only 30,000 miles for a roundtrip JFK upgrade for Japan members. But of course that would considerably increase your cost
Well, i was kinda tempted to get the coupons, buy a ticket, then upgrade with miles.

Also, you can consider doing 1 MR trip now to hit JMB Crystal and wait for roughly 2 months before you do the other ones. That way you can earn 50% bonus miles and preassign the exit rows if you are flying in Y.
That's actually quite brilliant, but since I'm teaching in a Japanese High School, I can't really pick and choose when I want to travel.

By the way, are you flying to Tokyo for the meet up? That means more FOPs for you
I'd love to, but my days off don't coincide very well. I may be able to make it for the Osaka one...
Old May 24, 10, 9:44 am
Original Poster

You guys in Japan are making me jealous! So easy to get miles over there.
Well, you're right about that. It's crazy how quickly we accumulate miles. We have 2 credit cards that give us miles in addition to all the promotional miles added on to our trips this spring. We already used up about 80,000 miles on that one.
Old May 25, 10, 5:44 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, SQ*S, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Cant beat this. 13,396 miles for HKG-HND round trip on K class.
Old May 25, 10, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by ssw207 View Post
Cant beat this. 13,396 miles for HKG-HND round trip on K class.
12,396 miles with double miles and double elite bonus...where does the extra 1,000 come from?

And you don't need to book in high booking class like K to get this (unless you are flying to the US....JFK?). Book in S class will earn you the same amount of miles
Old May 25, 10, 11:17 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, SQ*S, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
12,396 miles with double miles and double elite bonus...where does the extra 1,000 come from?

And you don't need to book in high booking class like K to get this (unless you are flying to the US....JFK?). Book in S class will earn you the same amount of miles
1000 miles RT for HK online booking campaign

BASE SECTOR MILES 1,276
JAL THANKS DOUBLE MILEAGE CAMPAIGN 1,276
MILE UP DOUBLE BONUS CAMPAIGN 1,823
CHINA HKG INTERNET BOOKING MILEAGE CAMPAIGN 500
FLYON MILE-UP BONUS 1,823

Needed K to upgrade to biz.
Old May 25, 10, 6:36 pm

BASE SECTOR MILES 1,276

You actually bought a K class HKG-HND K class roundtrip ticket to upgrade When I was looking for package for my family trips, a roundtrip upgrade to C on HND flights only costs HKD4,000 more...that's probably better than paying for extra, spend miles and get the same 70% mileage
Old May 25, 10, 9:50 pm
formerly ssw207

You actually bought a K class HKG-HND K class roundtrip ticket to upgrade When I was looking for package for my family trips, a roundtrip upgrade to C on HND flights only costs HKD4,000 more...that's probably better than paying for extra, spend miles and get the same 70% mileage
Actually, just checked my ETKT again, its an H Class since I booked within less than 30 days and all the cheap fares were gone. Base fare was HKD 4750. But the 20,000 miles to upgrade RT is a bargain, compared to CX, and I get 13XXX miles back

Just doing my bit to keep JL alive.
Old May 25, 10, 9:55 pm

Actually, just checked my ETKT again, its an H Class since I booked within less than 30 days and all the cheap fares were gone. Base fare was HKD 4750. But the 20,000 miles to upgrade RT is a bargain, compared to CX, and I get 13XXX miles back

Just doing my bit to keep JL alive.
10,000 miles one way NRT-HND upgrade is a bargain? Wait till you hear I did LAX-NRT upgrade with just 10,000 miles last year Japan members can still upgrade with 15,000 miles one way but the discounted promotion for overseas members are gone now Well...that gives me reasons to use my upgrade points
Old May 25, 10, 10:01 pm
formerly ssw207

10,000 miles one way NRT-HND upgrade is a bargain? Wait till you hear I did LAX-NRT upgrade with just 10,000 miles last year Japan members can still upgrade with 15,000 miles one way but the discounted promotion for overseas members are gone now Well...that gives me reasons to use my upgrade points
Still converting from CX MPC thats why.... not accustomed to the low mileage redemption levels of JL! For 10,000 CXAM miles, you'll get an upgrade from Economy to First class on something like the Hong Kong STAR FERRY. Haha!
Old May 28, 10, 5:05 am
Original Poster

BASE SECTOR MILES 1,276

Would I get all of these bonuses without any current status? I thought some of those bonuses were only for folks who already have some kind of status. I'm still a nobody.
Old May 28, 10, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by whkento View Post
Would I get all of these bonuses without any current status? I thought some of those bonuses were only for folks who already have some kind of status. I'm still a nobody.
you don't get the "mile-up" bonuses without status
Old May 28, 10, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

you don't get the "mile-up" bonuses without status
Hmmmm... That's what I thought. That would make me ineligible for about a third of those miles to HK.

Search this Thread