Search

No upgrade without a confirmed seat

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 8:18 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
No upgrade without a confirmed seat

Just got off the phone with JAL and the agent told me they have changed their rules for upgrade awards. Before I can reserve an upgrade award even when my flight is only on waiting list, then I can issue the ticket with the confirmed upgrade. Now, with the latest change, I can only reserve the award only if my flight is confirmed I am ready to buy the ticket and they just don't want it I was told to call my agent and have her call JAL sales office and tell them I am going to upgrade...how can the sales office tell whether the agent is lying or not

By the way this is the regular JMB hotline not the JGC one but I doubt that will make any difference
Old May 9, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA MM1KGS, NH*G, JL Saphaire, HHonors Diamond
JAL Upgrade Procedure, my experience

My recent experience was that I could request upgrade without having a confirmed seat. However I already had my ticket issued and I wanted to use some open segments.
Old May 9, 2010, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW rising moon
My recent experience was that I could request upgrade without having a confirmed seat. However I already had my ticket issued and I wanted to use some open segments.
I used to be able to do this without a confirmed seats/issued ticket...In fact all of my tickets last year are issued this way: waitlist -> upgrade confirmed -> agent called JAL ticketing office to release seat -> issue ticket...

But the agent said they recently changed the rules so now you have to do this: waitlist -> wait for seats to confirm -> request upgrade

That means you can't put yourself on the upgrade waiting list unless your original reservation clears...sometimes they don't clear until the very last minute and you will have less chance of clearing the upgrade...

I will try calling JGC hotline tomorrow when they open and see if they could do anything to help...

It's becoming less convenient every time I try to buy a ticket from JAL...why couldn't they make this simple and painless for us
Old May 10, 2010, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it still works here in Japan. We usually buy open tickets from BKK.

So when we fly the return portion KIX-BKK. We usually have JAL reserve the ticket. Then if we want to upgrade we ask them to put in the request.

Then call up our travel agent and give them our reservation code and things are set. JALPAK maybe you need to call JGC. This manual process still works. Make sure you know the booking code though. Because we usually use booking code B.
Old May 10, 2010, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumitani
it still works here in Japan. We usually buy open tickets from BKK.

So when we fly the return portion KIX-BKK. We usually have JAL reserve the ticket. Then if we want to upgrade we ask them to put in the request.

Then call up our travel agent and give them our reservation code and things are set. JALPAK maybe you need to call JGC. This manual process still works. Make sure you know the booking code though. Because we usually use booking code B.
Maybe the difference is my ticket hasn't been issued and I can't issue it without a confirmed seats in all sectors...I will definitely call JGC on Monday to make sure the first JMB agent wasn't bs'ing and my travel agent will call JAL sales office as suggested by the first agent and see how things go...
Old May 10, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
Maybe the difference is my ticket hasn't been issued and I can't issue it without a confirmed seats in all sectors
My ticket is never issued, but still allowed to process the upgrade ^
Old May 10, 2010, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Just got off the phone with JGC and the agent told me they change the rules on April 1 2010 Now you can only request upgrade with a confirmed seat and they were not able to clear the waitlist for me...the Tokyo inventory office said I have to wait
Old May 11, 2010, 12:45 am
Original Poster

My waitlist just clear. Thanks JAL Now I have to call them first thing in the morning to get my upgrade
Old May 13, 2010, 10:17 pm
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by JALPak
My waitlist just clear. Thanks JAL Now I have to call them first thing in the morning to get my upgrade
No worries JALPak, this is usually a formality to WL. Happens all the time for my HKG-NRT-JFK trips. They will clear it if you have status.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ssw207
No worries JALPak, this is usually a formality to WL. Happens all the time for my HKG-NRT-JFK trips. They will clear it if you have status.
I know...it's just frustrating that they have this new rule and I can't issue the ticket as soon as upgrade opens up. But now I have upgraded my flights and it's all cleared

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.