Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

How to justify the extra cost to fly on JAL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to justify the extra cost to fly on JAL?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 8:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Simsalabim
So is JAL really worth flying with all this bankruptcy in the air at the moment?
I am telling myself enjoy while it last. I still have faith Worst case scenario, I will just jump to the dark side and have them match my status (my company has contract with *A and they will match my OW status)

And to me able to use upgrade points/miles to upgrade alone justify the cost to fly on JAL
Old May 10, 2010, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Simmo
I think the three of us have hijacked this thread (especially me) with random topics.

The closest airport from me is CTS but that's still 2 hours away.

I really think you should head up here! Escape the heat for one is a great reason.
The funny thing is that. I can tolerate cold weather (went to Harbin 2 years ago -32c), but I prefer to be in heat and sweat all day long!

I went to CTS back in March 2001, it was still snowing at that time. I don't remember much about Sapporo other than the good Kani! How's Susukino Dori?! ^

I'll probably have to use an award ticket to fly up to CTS because these domestic fares break my wallet!. Esp after May 31st when those Share Holder Tickets (kabunushiken's) become invalid on JAL. The new ones on ANA will be really expensive at kinken shops
Old May 10, 2010, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by fumitani
The funny thing is that. I can tolerate cold weather (went to Harbin 2 years ago -32c), but I prefer to be in heat and sweat all day long!

I went to CTS back in March 2001, it was still snowing at that time. I don't remember much about Sapporo other than the good Kani! How's Susukino Dori?! ^

I'll probably have to use an award ticket to fly up to CTS because these domestic fares break my wallet!. Esp after May 31st when those Share Holder Tickets (kabunushiken's) become invalid on JAL. The new ones on ANA will be really expensive at kinken shops
Trust you to bring up Susukino. That's a pretty dodgy area full of soap lands so i'm told. It's at the heart of every office joke.

It's stopped snowing now and the weather is getting warmer. Still a lot of snow around which is unusual but should be gone soon. You haven't been here in 9 years. It's most certainly time you came here.
Old May 10, 2010, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15000miles on NH, but no award seats on June 12th or June 13th....I mean they have but the timing is the late night and early morning flights. Which will put my day at CTS to waste..

14000miles on JL, and has better flight timings open for award. Same dates...haha I guess JL always wins for better award seats!

I'll see about going
Old May 10, 2010, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

15000miles on NH, but no award seats on June 12th or June 13th....I mean they have but the timing is the late night and early morning flights. Which will put my day at CTS to waste..

14000miles on JL, and has better flight timings open for award. Same dates...haha I guess JL always wins for better award seats!

I'll see about going
You are flying to Sapporo when I visit Osaka!? Are you worry that I will start a war with you if we ever run into each other in Osaka If that's the case, the cost is well justified If you fly on the 14th, we can start the fight at ITM Sakura Lounge and end it before the plane lands but too bad you probably have to work on a weekday

And yes, JAL always wins on award availability...fingers crossed that my upgrade will clear (on the day that I have flight confirmed) or seats will still be available when my Y booking clears

Last edited by JALPak; May 10, 2010 at 9:34 pm
Old May 10, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Do I smell an Itami meetup? I'd do it for the miles.
Old May 10, 2010, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
You are flying to Sapporo when I visit Osaka!? Are you worry that I will start a war with you if we ever run into each other in Osaka If that's the case, the cost is well justified If you fly on the 14th, we can start the fight at ITM Sakura Lounge and end it before the plane lands but too bad you probably have to work on a weekday

And yes, JAL always wins on award availability...fingers crossed that my upgrade will clear (on the day that I have flight confirmed) or seats will still be available when my Y booking clears
I was just checking random dates. Since that will be right before CTS area hits the rainy season (tsuyu). Oh well I'll see if I can really go though.

Why would we need to start a war?! We can try finding random gaijin's and guesting them into the lounge. We will be able to guest one person each. Oh yeah you are going with family. Then I can guest your family member into the lounge if I go hahahahaha....

Just got confirmation i'll need to go to NRT again June 30th ugh...I'll be going to NRT May 26th also....i'm tired of that place
Old May 10, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones
Do I smell an Itami meetup? I'd do it for the miles.
I can be at ITM airport within an hour from my office or home. Anytime is ok

At least make it Osaka Station or something so there are better places we can sit and down and have coffee or lunch or dinner
Old May 10, 2010, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

I was just checking random dates. Since that will be right before CTS area hits the rainy season (tsuyu). Oh well I'll see if I can really go though.

Why would we need to start a war?! We can try finding random gaijin's and guesting them into the lounge. We will be able to guest one person each. Oh yeah you are going with family. Then I can guest your family member into the lounge if I go hahahahaha....

Just got confirmation i'll need to go to NRT again June 30th ugh...I'll be going to NRT May 26th also....i'm tired of that place
LOL Of course there will be wars whenever I meet people from the dark side but my brother will probably take your side

I will take your place on any day...I will never be tired of NRT...just park a few JAL planes there then I will be busy taking pictures for a while can't believe you are complaining about free trips...I always want to be a road warrior

I actually prefer spending the time on the observation deck...I took tones of pictures when I was there last time...and I got some JAL paper fans too...that's the best part of my trip last summer OK that alone will justify the cost (once again trying to be on topic)
Old May 10, 2010, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL Of course there will be wars whenever I meet people from the dark side but my brother will probably take your side

I will take your place on any day...I will never be tired of NRT...just park a few JAL planes there then I will be busy taking pictures for a while can't believe you are complaining about free trips...I always want to be a road warrior

I actually prefer spending the time on the observation deck...I took tones of pictures when I was there last time...and I got some JAL paper fans too...that's the best part of my trip last summer OK that alone will justify the cost (once again trying to be on topic)
It's different when you are there for business and leisure. Don't get me wrong I like NRT airport. It's that when I go for business and come back, by the time I am back at my hotel it's not possible for me to go to the oberservation deck anymore. It's just too dark!

When you go to NRT airport 6 times a year for business it does get quite boring with nothing else to do.

You should change your routing.
LAX-NRT-HKG
HKG-KIX ITM-CTS
CTS-ITM-NRT-HKG
HKG-NRT-LAX

You should be able to able to add extra sectors to make it cost effective more miles and more EQM's
Old May 10, 2010, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

It's different when you are there for business and leisure. Don't get me wrong I like NRT airport. It's that when I go for business and come back, by the time I am back at my hotel it's not possible for me to go to the oberservation deck anymore. It's just too dark!

When you go to NRT airport 6 times a year for business it does get quite boring with nothing else to do.

You should change your routing.
LAX-NRT-HKG
HKG-KIX ITM-CTS
CTS-ITM-NRT-HKG
HKG-NRT-LAX

You should be able to able to add extra sectors to make it cost effective more miles and more EQM's
But unfortunately my family are not a mileage whore like I am and I am not sure those cheap tickets will allow me to have routing like this Hey I visited NRT 6 times last year too...ok I was on vacation and was only there to catch my connection most of the time Seems like for both of your visits, I will be at NRT about a week after you...oh well we will be at different terminals anyways
Old May 10, 2010, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But unfortunately my family are not a mileage whore like I am and I am not sure those cheap tickets will allow me to have routing like this Hey I visited NRT 6 times last year too...ok I was on vacation and was only there to catch my connection most of the time Seems like for both of your visits, I will be at NRT about a week after you...oh well we will be at different terminals anyways
You miss me in NRT, but you can find me in Osaka area.

Actually thinking back about it. I used NRT for transit 5 times last year and had 3 business trips to NRT last year.

I'm at 2 business trips to NRT this year with two coming up. I have a return ticket to BKK via NRT, but I might cancel this ticket. No reason to go to BKK right now. My ticket expires end of Sep.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

um...KE is now cheaper And I can do a stopover in ICN...wth...

I blame JAL for not releasing seats for my inbound LAX flights! I would have booked the package already if not because I was waiting for my LAX-HKG ticket to be confirmed
Old May 10, 2010, 11:20 pm

I've got enough points for one return trip within Japan (sorry only ANA *hides*). I've never had any problems redeeming award seats. With 16 or so flights from HND > CTS a day is no wonder i have no problems. I suppose i could fork out the cash to come down there though.

Maybe we should make a new topic titled - JAL meeting up. You can all check out Diamond lounge. I just looked at the website here http://www.jal.co.jp/dom/lounge/japan/hnd/diamond.html and i think i went into the wrong lounge lol ok so i was going into a place at the back of gate 15 and i went in the normal Sakura lounge entry then went through another door (had to press button on the door to get in) and got asked again for my FF# even though i just showed it to them. Anyhow i was in and there's storage space and a room that's as big as a junior suite.

It looked nothing like those photos but definitely had Diamond Premium Lounge on the door i entered. What did i do wrong?

Last edited by Simmo; May 10, 2010 at 11:40 pm Reason: corrected gate number
Old May 10, 2010, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Simmo
I've got enough points for one return trip within Japan (sorry only ANA *hides*). I've never had any problems redeeming award seats. With 16 or so flights from HND > CTS a day is no wonder i have no problems. I suppose i could fork out the cash to come down there though.

Maybe we should make a new topic titled - JAL meeting up.
It's much harder to find space between

CTS-ITM/UKB/KIX than

CTS-HND

if you count there are departure between CTS-HND almost every 30 minutes sometimes 10 minutes!

I count roughly 50 flights between CTS-HND on JAL, Skymark, AirDo, ANA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.