Upgrade Question (NRT-PEK)

Old Apr 30, 10, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Upgrade Question (NRT-PEK)

First time here. Donít see a general information Sticky and various searches for Upgrade(s) didnít provided a obvious answer.

I was displaced as a result of AA further delaying the start of its ORD-PEK service. I am NY based and switched to the JFK-NRT flight in J and the NRT-PEK in Y. I am OW Emerald with lots of AA miles. No miles on JAL. Can someone please let me know what my options are to upgrade to J on this flight? You can leave out paying the fare difference.

Thank you and Safe TravelsÖ..
Old Apr 30, 10, 6:13 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer View Post
First time here. Don’t see a general information Sticky and various searches for Upgrade(s) didn’t provided a obvious answer.

I was displaced as a result of AA further delaying the start of its ORD-PEK service. I am NY based and switched to the JFK-NRT flight in J and the NRT-PEK in Y. I am OW Emerald with lots of AA miles. No miles on JAL. Can someone please let me know what my options are to upgrade to J on this flight? You can leave out paying the fare difference.

Thank you and Safe Travels…..
There is no other options. Pray for an op-up. You CANNOT upgrade on JAL flights using AA miles/SWU

And welcome to JAL forum!
Old May 1, 10, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Thanks JALPak for the welcome and response. Iíll keep my fingers crossed for an op-up and if I must, just suck-it-up for about 4 hours.

Safe Travels
Old May 2, 10, 1:22 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer View Post
Thanks JALPak for the welcome and response. Iíll keep my fingers crossed for an op-up and if I must, just suck-it-up for about 4 hours.

Safe Travels
I've flown this flight before in economy and also in the reverse direction. If it's the 767, it's actually decent enough, clean and fairly comfortable. I like the front economy cabin, aisle seat in middle section. It's rare that you'd have anyone sitting next to you. Unless you are hitting a Japanese or Chinese holiday period, this flight often flies with light loads, so your chances of op-up may be slim. Usually you'll have more Japanese passengers (the Chinese tend to head for the Air China nonstop, which is a different kettle of fish and a situation where you DEFINITELY want to pray for the op-up. ) JL intl economy at least in North Asia is generally a more pleasant experience than flying domestically in the USA in economy and service is much better--I've fallen asleep before prior to meal service, and woke up to a little note asking to me to ring the FA when I wanted my meal brought to me. (And at the time I had no status on JL, AA, or any other OneWorld airline.)

Cheer up, you won't have to suck it up too badly if you don't make it into J. It's only 3.5 hours flight.

Search this Thread