Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL status match?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:29 am
Original Poster

JAL status match?

I know this has been discussed a few times here, but given the recent turns of events, I am curious whether JL might have changed their stance on status match program. Who do you think I need to contact to test the water?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:25 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ansatzjp
I know this has been discussed a few times here, but given the recent turns of events, I am curious whether JL might have changed their stance on status match program. Who do you think I need to contact to test the water?
You have missed your chance...oh well that is if you are based in Itatly. OW just ended their status match campaign last month which you can request any OW carrier to match your status and be a OW Ruby or Sapphire.

To answer your question, I am not 100% sure if JAL will now match other program's status. But I would say even if JAL has this practice, it will depend on your location and program. I would think you will have a higher chance if you are an ANA elite based in Japan. You can try contact JAL Mileage Bank of your region, either via email or phone. Good luck! And don't forget to let us know how it go

Last edited by JALPak; Feb 9, 2010 at 9:33 pm
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
You have missed your chance...
Oh, well. What can I do? I always miss good opportunities; it's becoming a pattern.

This is totally off-topic, but what JL-affinity credit cards do you carry in Japan, and what would you recommend, if you're going to start all over again?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:20 am

Oh, well. What can I do? I always miss good opportunities; it's becoming a pattern.

This is totally off-topic, but what JL-affinity credit cards do you carry in Japan, and what would you recommend, if you're going to start all over again?
I wish I could get a credit card in Japan. The only card available to me here in the US is the Premio one which is definitely NOT as good as JALCard. There are so many different JALCards there, just pick the one you will get most miles out of (e.g. if you ride JR every day, you can get the one with Suica). Having a JALCard will at least get you some bonus miles even without status.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:01 am
Original Poster

I wish I could get a credit card in Japan.
Oh, I somehow mistakenly assumed that you're in Japan. My bad.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I wish I could get a credit card in Japan. The only card available to me here in the US is the Premio one which is definitely NOT as good as JALCard. There are so many different JALCards there, just pick the one you will get most miles out of (e.g. if you ride JR every day, you can get the one with Suica). Having a JALCard will at least get you some bonus miles even without status.
And depending on the card, you get some other benefits too. But those have a correspondingly higher annual fee. If only... But it's to be expected that an airline wouldn't offer nearly so many options outside its home country.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by jamar
And depending on the card, you get some other benefits too. But those have a correspondingly higher annual fee. If only... But it's to be expected that an airline wouldn't offer nearly so many options outside its home country.
I wouldn't mind paying for the higher annual fee. I am paying USD100 every year for Premio card (card fee + JFC membership). And because I have to be the primary account holder, I can't include my brother in the family pool In Japan, you basically can keep JGC membership and don't have to pay for the annual 5,000 miles if you have the right card. And you will still enjoy the mile bonus without the Cystal or above status.

It would be really nice if JAL ends up selling JALCard to MUFJ and they start offering the same card here in the US. Keep dreaming
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:15 am

Oh, I somehow mistakenly assumed that you're in Japan. My bad.
I wish...if I can find a decent job there, I will move without hesitation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.