Carry-on luggage for JAL international flight

Old Feb 6, 10, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Carry-on luggage for JAL international flight

I'm flying SFO > NRT > BKK next week (economy). Along with my other stuff, I'm going to bring my photography gears, including two camera bodies and some lenses, and a laptop which I prefer to put them in a carry-on luggage.

Last year I had a rollaboard plus a backpack and the ticketing staff wasn't very happy about it. So this time, I plan to put my laptop in a smaller shoulder case instead (not enough room in a rollaboard for it). Has anyone brought more than one piece of carry-on on board? I feel my laptop case could be classified as a 'personal belonging' but JAL staff might think differently.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 7, 10, 1:50 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by znoopie View Post
I'm flying SFO > NRT > BKK next week (economy). Along with my other stuff, I'm going to bring my photography gears, including two camera bodies and some lenses, and a laptop which I prefer to put them in a carry-on luggage.

Last year I had a rollaboard plus a backpack and the ticketing staff wasn't very happy about it. So this time, I plan to put my laptop in a smaller shoulder case instead (not enough room in a rollaboard for it). Has anyone brought more than one piece of carry-on on board? I feel my laptop case could be classified as a 'personal belonging' but JAL staff might think differently.

Thanks in advance.
So what are you going to bring exactly? Just the photography gears, rollaboard and a shoulder case which you will put your laptop in?

As long as your rollaboard is within the carry-on size and weigh limits, you should be fine. I brought a large shopping bag (which sometimes is as large as or bigger than a small size rollaboard), a laptop and backpack numerous times, they never gave me any trouble. I even asked them once if my shopping bag is too big for carry-on at NRT and they said no I think you should be fine.

Were you traveling on a different airlines last year, say UA? And welcome to Flyertalk and JAL forum
Old Feb 9, 10, 3:11 am
Original Poster

I have some other stuff too, but I'll put them them the checked luggage. The photography gears and laptop will be hand carried as I feel they're too fragile. Actually I want to have a rollaboard plus a backpack like I did last year but I'm afraid that they will force me to check one of them.

I always fly with JAL on this route. Their ticket price were among the cheapest with excellent service, although the price has gone up recently.

Thanks for your help and warm welcome.

P.S. I replied a few days ago but somehow my post didn't show up.

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
So what are you going to bring exactly? Just the photography gears, rollaboard and a shoulder case which you will put your laptop in?

As long as your rollaboard is within the carry-on size and weigh limits, you should be fine. I brought a large shopping bag (which sometimes is as large as or bigger than a small size rollaboard), a laptop and backpack numerous times, they never gave me any trouble. I even asked them once if my shopping bag is too big for carry-on at NRT and they said no I think you should be fine.

Were you traveling on a different airlines last year, say UA? And welcome to Flyertalk and JAL forum
Old Feb 9, 10, 3:11 am
Original Poster

I have some other stuff too, but I'll put them them the checked luggage. The photography gears and laptop will be hand carried as I feel they're too fragile. Actually I want to have a rollaboard plus a backpack like I did last year but I'm afraid that they will force me to check one of them.

I always fly with JAL on this route. Their ticket price were among the cheapest with excellent service, although the price has gone up recently.

Thanks for your help and warm welcome.

P.S. I replied a few days ago but somehow my post didn't show up.

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

Old Feb 9, 10, 3:35 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
One more thing, it's is VERY IMPORTANT that your rollaboard is within the carry-on limit. If they check and find out it's over the limit, you will have to check in the rollaboard even if that's your only piece of carry-on item. This is for your own and other passengers' safety. So were your rollaboard too big or close to the limit last year? Is that why the ticketing (or did you mean check-in) agent gave you a hard time. (I will wait for the moderators to approve your responses )
Old Feb 9, 10, 10:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Only once have I checked in with a rollaboard and a backpack on a SFO-NRT flight. The check in agent tried to tell me that I would have to check one of them but as soon I told her that my backpack carries my laptop, she dropped the subject.
Old Mar 4, 10, 8:36 pm

Basic Luggage Rules for JAL Int'l

Baggage permitted: 1 Carry On Bag Under 22lbs & 1 Personal Item

Search this Thread