JAL comparison

Old Jan 14, 10, 5:57 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 401
JAL comparison

Is it just me or is JAL mileage bank a bit hard to understand.

My dilema is I'm flying to Bangkok via Tokyo, I registered for Dbl. points thru to Tokyo. ( should be good miles there )

But would I be just as well off presenting my Asia miles or B.A. and collecting collecting the later? ( if that's possable ) I assume it is as they are One World members.
mech11 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 10, 6:21 pm
  #2  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,324
So you are flying XXX-NRT-BKK. And you have registered for the JMB double points promotion. You want to accumulate JMB miles on the first leg (XXX-NRT) but to BA/CX miles on the NRT-BKK leg? Is this your question?

Why would you want to earn miles in different accounts? Wouldn't you be better off to put them in a single account? I can help you do the math but I need to know your booking classes and of course what XXX is And whether you will earn miles on BA/CX account depends on your booking class too.
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 14, 10, 11:30 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UKB
Posts: 11,424
I should add the double mile promotion is only for JAL flights credited to JMB Program. So you will need to sign up for a JMB account.

Any miles you put in your Asia Miles (CX) or BA account will be credited for the miles you earn. Remember most economy fares on JL get's 70% some 50% , only Y fare get's 100%.
fumitani is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 1:57 am
  #4  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,324
Originally Posted by fumitani View Post
I should add the double mile promotion is only for JAL flights credited to JMB Program. So you will need to sign up for a JMB account.

Any miles you put in your Asia Miles (CX) or BA account will be credited for the miles you earn. Remember most economy fares on JL get's 70% some 50% , only Y fare get's 100%.
Given the OP qualifies for the double miles promotion, I assume he/she has a ticket booked in class F/A/J/C/D/W/Y. That will earn you the same amount of miles on JL/CX/BA except for W class which you will get 110% on BA but only 100% on JL and CX.
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 8:19 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 401
ONCE more

Thank-you for your answers. I'm sorry I was not so clear.

I ment to say, which program would be better to go with. JAL with Dbl. points as far as Tokyo both ways..or just do the ASIA miles ( I find asia miles site much more easy to use ). But are the Dbl. miles from Jal a lot better way to go?
mech11 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 8:38 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UKB
Posts: 11,424
Originally Posted by mech11 View Post
Thank-you for your answers. I'm sorry I was not so clear.

I ment to say, which program would be better to go with. JAL with Dbl. points as far as Tokyo both ways..or just do the ASIA miles ( I find asia miles site much more easy to use ). But are the Dbl. miles from Jal a lot better way to go?
It will help if you tell us where you are starting from. Your XXX(is what we want to know)-NRT-BKK

Then we can help you calculate if it is worth it or not.

Also when you get miles what do you plan to do with it? Award on JL, Hotel coupons, etc....

Also do you hold any status on CX or BA? It might influence your decision when requalifing for the next status
fumitani is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 9:27 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 401
Originally Posted by fumitani View Post
It will help if you tell us where you are starting from. Your XXX(is what we want to know)-NRT-BKK

Then we can help you calculate if it is worth it or not.

Also when you get miles what do you plan to do with it? Award on JL, Hotel coupons, etc....

Also do you hold any status on CX or BA? It might influence your decision when requalifing for the next status
XXX is Vancouver, I have no status on either, but do have some miles on both BA and ASIA..
I would use miles for flights. Should I just use my ASIA acct. or is the JAL offer better?
mech11 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 3:11 pm
  #8  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,324
Originally Posted by mech11 View Post
XXX is Vancouver, I have no status on either, but do have some miles on both BA and ASIA..
I would use miles for flights. Should I just use my ASIA acct. or is the JAL offer better?
Wait till Jan 19 to decide. JAL might just suspend your flights in the near future. No point of accumulating miles on JMB if they don't fly to your cities.

By the way, we still need your booking class (can be found in the fare basis) to calculate the miles.
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 4:03 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 401
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Wait till Jan 19 to decide. JAL might just suspend your flights in the near future. No point of accumulating miles on JMB if they don't fly to your cities.

By the way, we still need your booking class (can be found in the fare basis) to calculate the miles.
GOD, I hope not, I'm leaving on Jan.18I may be over the ocean.
Booked JAL because of shorter waits between flights, well that and I saved a buck. booking class is NLSSAE1 (whatever that means.)

I'm going to ask at the airport if I can upgrade 1 to there newer seats if they have them on this flight. flightnetwork did not give that option. Only booked thru them because I could not find a site for JAL reservations (have now).
mech11 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 4:22 pm
  #10  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,324
Originally Posted by mech11 View Post
GOD, I hope not, I'm leaving on Jan.18I may be over the ocean.
Booked JAL because of shorter waits between flights, well that and I saved a buck. booking class is NLSSAE1 (whatever that means.)

I'm going to ask at the airport if I can upgrade 1 to there newer seats if they have them on this flight. flightnetwork did not give that option. Only booked thru them because I could not find a site for JAL reservations (have now).
Looks like you are booked in N class (you probably can't do a advanced seat selection but you can do an online check-in 72 hours before departure). So that won't give you double miles and you will only get 50% on JMB.

I wouldn't worry about your flights if it is on Jan 18. What I was trying to say is if JAL decides to suspend say the YVR route, then not much reasons for you to accumulate the miles on JMB anymore since they don't serve your cities. You will be better off to accumulate it on the carrier you fly on.

Here are you miles and EQPs on different programs:
JL (50% miles): 7552 miles and 7552 FOPs (the EQPs)
BA (25% miles): 3774 miles and ZERO EQPs
CX (0% miles): ZERO miles and EQPs

So definitely don't accumulate it on your CX account that will give you ZERO miles.

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 15, 10 at 6:39 pm Reason: changed miles info
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 5:47 pm
  #11  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,324
Originally Posted by mech11 View Post
I'm going to ask at the airport if I can upgrade 1 to there newer seats if they have them on this flight. flightnetwork did not give that option. Only booked thru them because I could not find a site for JAL reservations (have now).
N fare is not JMB upgradable. So you can't use miles to upgrade. So the only other options are to pay for the upgrade or hope for an op-up (which is unlikely given you don't have status). The amount to for a paid upgrade is the difference in C fare and your fare you hold, plus penalty stated in your fare rules. That probably will costs thousands...

By the way the YVR-NRT 744 has Shell Flat seats, not the latest nor oldest.

Have a pleasant flight
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 6:38 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 401
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
N fare is not JMB upgradable. So you can't use miles to upgrade. So the only other options are to pay for the upgrade or hope for an op-up (which is unlikely given you don't have status). The amount to for a paid upgrade is the difference in C fare and your fare you hold, plus penalty stated in your fare rules. That probably will costs thousands...

By the way the YVR-NRT 744 has Shell Flat seats, not the latest nor oldest.

Have a pleasant flight
Thank-you for all the info, your very helpful and plesant.
mech11 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 6:42 pm
  #13  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,324
Originally Posted by mech11 View Post
Thank-you for all the info, your very helpful and plesant.
No problem! So are you going to go for JMB or BA?
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 10:30 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 401
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
No problem! So are you going to go for JMB or BA?
I think I'll do the BA. They have a nice flight to moscow from London for a resonable number of points. (be doing it one day)
mech11 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: