Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Anyone on any JAL flights to the US in the last two days?

Old Dec 28, 09, 2:36 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold

Just wondering if anyone was on a JAL flight to the US recently, after they have tightened security measures? Is JAL limiting carry-on to 1 piece like other airlines? Have they turned off JEN completely, which will be terrible for a Transpacific flight
Old Dec 31, 09, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

I guess I can answer the questions myself now since I just got off JL062 few hours ago...

The only difference is you need to go through a not so thorough pat down search and they will open your hand carry items...Not if sure whether the initial measures have expired though...
Old Jan 1, 10, 12:03 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
I guess I can answer the questions myself now since I just got off JL062 few hours ago...

The only difference is you need to go through a not so thorough pat down search and they will open your hand carry items...Not if sure whether the initial measures have expired though...
JALPak; where have u been? long time no threads. Hope everything is fine. Happy new year.
Cheers
Old Jan 1, 10, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tokyolyon View Post
JALPak; where have u been? long time no threads. Hope everything is fine. Happy new year.
Cheers
I am fine Just come back from the last part of my "mileage run" and spent a few weeks back in Hong Kong. That's why I haven't been around lately

Happy New Year
Old Jan 2, 10, 8:28 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
JALPak, can you describe exactly what they did to your carry on luggage? Does that apply for elites that use the priority line.

Also (and for everyone that flew in after the christmas event) how was customs/immigrations now vs beforehand in the US?
Old Jan 3, 10, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
JALPak, can you describe exactly what they did to your carry on luggage? Does that apply for elites that use the priority line.

Also (and for everyone that flew in after the christmas event) how was customs/immigrations now vs beforehand in the US?
They just opened the bag (without taking my stuff out) and then closed it. Then did a pat down search. The entire process took less than a minute.

Yes, it applies to the elites too. My flight departs at gate 61, i.e. the main building, which you have to go downstairs to board. So they set up the security check at the stairs and everyone has to go through that before going to the waiting area. I think they intentionally put all US-bound flights there. They even set up a press area too (there are signs for press but I only saw 2 cameramen)

The customs/immigrations at LAX is just the same as before. Nothing has changed...
Old Jan 3, 10, 5:46 pm

They just opened the bag (without taking my stuff out) and then closed it. Then did a pat down search. The entire process took less than a minute.

Yes, it applies to the elites too. My flight departs at gate 61, i.e. the main building, which you have to go downstairs to board. So they set up the security check at the stairs and everyone has to go through that before going to the waiting area. I think they intentionally put all US-bound flights there. They even set up a press area too (there are signs for press but I only saw 2 cameramen)

The customs/immigrations at LAX is just the same as before. Nothing has changed...
Maybe I'll see you on the NHK news clip on the flight

Good to know, thanks for the update!
Old Jan 4, 10, 6:24 pm

Good News Everybody!

The situation at NRT has gone back to normal. I walked through to the normal elite security check in station (service immaculate as ever, god why can the TSA be like that )

No thorough baggage rummaging or anything. So I would say back to usual as always for JGC and up.
Old Feb 2, 10, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
The situation at NRT has gone back to normal. I walked through to the normal elite security check in station (service immaculate as ever, god why can the TSA be like that )

No thorough baggage rummaging or anything. So I would say back to usual as always for JGC and up.
Things might change in the future. They might soon required to do a naked search on you...via the x-ray machine

http://www.nni.nikkei.co.jp/e/fr/tnk...02D02JF368.htm
Old Feb 18, 10, 11:38 pm

Things might change in the future. They might soon required to do a naked search on you...via the x-ray machine

http://www.nni.nikkei.co.jp/e/fr/tnk...02D02JF368.htm
A belated reply, flew on the day JAL declared restructuring. Have been a lurker on this site, thought I'd add to the info used from JALPAK.

I am new to taking airline photos, set the aperture too wide to avoid using flash. Will set the ISO higher next time to get a better aperture.

JO79 Hnl-Narita-I usually take this route quarterly
Flight on the 747 seemed normal; although on boarding the crew was all Japanese, normally the personnel
are from JALWAYS (Thai crew).

Legroom on the ol' 747, wish they would upgrade the Hnl to Narita
flight

Drink menu

Champagne service

American meal, it was tasty

Japanese meal, seafood was fresh, rice was hot. This was my second flight, Narita to BKK. Again, crew
were mainly Japanese. Only one Thai, who translated Japanese to Thai. Normally, the Chief Steward is Japanese,
all others are Thai.

Dessert, they no longer have the carts (which I preferred, you could make your choice of several selections).

Sakura lounge at Narita

Dinner section

Most important part of the lounge

Curry was good, beer was better!

Sunset

View from lounge

Pull up and get your windshield washed

Sunset in Jomiten

Hp

Search this Thread