Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Partial change in eligible class of JMB Upgrade Awards or Upgrade Points

Old Dec 24, 09, 10:04 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold

From April 1 2010, booking class L will be INELIGIBLE for upgrade awards

http://www.jal.co.jp/cms/jalmile/en/en_jmb_103.html
Old Jan 20, 10, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

More changes to the classes eligible for upgrade award, effective from April 1 2010

E class will be eligible
I class will be INELIGIBLE

Details here
http://www.jal.co.jp/cms/jalmile/en/en_jmb_103.html
Old Jan 20, 10, 7:48 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I used to purchase I class business ticket from BKK to HNL through NRT(one stopover allowed). Used to be around 55000 bahts(Roundtrip) so it was a good deal, especially they had 2 class services with 3 class equipment so I could have First Class seating .
However, for the last 3-4 years, the price became around 90,000 bahts and now no upgrade and only 70% of the miles.

This was not a good news for me.
Old Jan 20, 10, 7:55 pm
Tak

Delete
Old Jan 20, 10, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I used to purchase I class business ticket from BKK to HNL through NRT(one stopover allowed). Used to be around 55000 bahts(Roundtrip) so it was a good deal, especially they had 2 class services with 3 class equipment so I could have First Class seating .
However, for the last 3-4 years, the price became around 90,000 bahts and now no upgrade and only 70% of the miles.

This was not a good news for me.
Wow it was only ~USD1700 for an I class roundtrip! That's really cheap. I wish they had those from LAX. i wouldn't mind to get only 70% miles and no upgrade if the ticket is that cheap It will be interesting to see if JAL would lower the I fare back to the previous level to stay competitive. I assume that's better than having people spend 10000 miles to upgrade from a K fare ticket...

The changes are already better than what I expected. At least they add E class to the eligible list and not removing class other than Q from the 70% list...I was expecting much worse than that
Old Jan 20, 10, 10:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, ANA
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
The changes are already better than what I expected. At least they add E class to the eligible list and not removing class other than Q from the 70% list...I was expecting much worse than that
+1 especially as the deep drop for I class announced previously really worried me for changes to come to Eco class. But so far so good.
However I fear more changes might take place in the near future if they switch from Oneworld to Skyteam. Especially required mileage for awards tickets.
Old Jan 20, 10, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goavibes View Post
+1 especially as the deep drop for I class announced previously really worried me for changes to come to Eco class. But so far so good.
However I fear more changes might take place in the near future if they switch from Oneworld to Skyteam. Especially required mileage for awards tickets.
Yes, that's my biggest concern right now (apart from my usual routes getting axed). Oh and the flood of DL members redeeming awards on JAL too I hope DL doesn't hand out their status like grocery coupons (that's what AA has been doing ).
Old Jan 20, 10, 11:04 pm
Tak

Wow it was only ~USD1700 for an I class roundtrip! That's really cheap.
Yes!
At that time, ANA was cheap,too so both were very competitive.
If I flied from HNL to BKK round trip, it was around $4000.
So BKK-HNL was less than the half of HNL-BKK.
NRT-HNL was more expensive than BKK-HNL through NRT so BKK was my hub city.
Old Jan 21, 10, 3:04 pm

Yes, that's my biggest concern right now (apart from my usual routes getting axed). Oh and the flood of DL members redeeming awards on JAL too I hope DL doesn't hand out their status like grocery coupons (that's what AA has been doing ).
Sure, there's a lot of bloat in DL SkyTeam Elite Ranks because they run at least 2 double EQM promos a year. Lot's of credit card purchases get miles, etc. However, it's centered around Silver and gold.

The SkyTeam Elite benefits are pretty weak, which is what Silver and Gold Members get. Only Plat and Diamonds get Lounge and Priority baggage. Delta Typically only does Y and J partner inventory. So if you fly international JL F you're not going to see DL folks there.

DL award booking is subpar to being with. Most partners are not bookable online. Most DL folks would have to book a JL award over the phone and when they do all they will be hit with partner booking fees and phone booking fees.

What you'll want to watch out for is folks like me who are already JLFC members. We might want to put miles directly into the JLFC millage pool and take up space in J/F.
Old Jan 21, 10, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by motytrah View Post
Sure, there's a lot of bloat in DL SkyTeam Elite Ranks because they run at least 2 double EQM promos a year. Lot's of credit card purchases get miles, etc. However, it's centered around Silver and gold.

The SkyTeam Elite benefits are pretty weak, which is what Silver and Gold Members get. Only Plat and Diamonds get Lounge and Priority baggage. Delta Typically only does Y and J partner inventory. So if you fly international JL F you're not going to see DL folks there.

DL award booking is subpar to being with. Most partners are not bookable online. Most DL folks would have to book a JL award over the phone and when they do all they will be hit with partner booking fees and phone booking fees.

What you'll want to watch out for is folks like me who are already JLFC members. We might want to put miles directly into the JLFC millage pool and take up space in J/F.
Having 2 double EQM promotions a year is bad enough And then there's 50% EQM (aka MQM) bonus and MQM rollover Hopefully they won't take up all the preferred seats on my flights

Search this Thread