Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Class J on JAL domestic is not really business class per se, and as a feeder flight to an international business class flight you will be seated in economy.
Thanks, sounds like it's not worth worrying over a whole lot especially for a one-hour flight. I will keep my eyes open for the 1000JPY upgrade.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by River in Sight
Thanks, sounds like it's not worth worrying over a whole lot especially for a one-hour flight. I will keep my eyes open for the 1000JPY upgrade.
Just ask a check-in.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: jal dm
Selecting seats on JL with aa codeshared

hi everyone I have just purchased an economy class ticket on AA travelling from hkg-nrt-lax rt, and they are all operated by JL

However I could not assign seat in AA nor JL, there is no option for seat selection on AA

I have read some posts before so I did call AA customer service and got my jl reservation number

however i cannot login to JL reservation page with that reference number as well

Did I do anything wrong throughout the procedure? What can I do for this? Any help is appreciated!

P.S. Am japan airline diamond so I think i actually can select seat before hand..?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:40 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jacccccl
hi everyone I have just purchased an economy class ticket on AA travelling from hkg-nrt-lax rt, and they are all operated by JL

However I could not assign seat in AA nor JL, there is no option for seat selection on AA

I have read some posts before so I did call AA customer service and got my jl reservation number

however i cannot login to JL reservation page with that reference number as well

Did I do anything wrong throughout the procedure? What can I do for this? Any help is appreciated!

P.S. Am japan airline diamond so I think i actually can select seat before hand..?
No, being able to pre-select seat isn't a JMB Diamond benefit. If your fare isn't eligible for advanced seat selection, then you won't be able to no matter what your FLY ON status is.

In this case, you would need to deal with AA for seat assignment. If you are lucky and is able to pull up the reservation on JL website, then you can do that too. But make sure you get the JAL PNR not AA PNR.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: jal dm
Originally Posted by JALPak
No, being able to pre-select seat isn't a JMB Diamond benefit. If your fare isn't eligible for advanced seat selection, then you won't be able to no matter what your FLY ON status is.

In this case, you would need to deal with AA for seat assignment. If you are lucky and is able to pull up the reservation on JL website, then you can do that too. But make sure you get the JAL PNR not AA PNR.
oops cuz i was successfully pre-assigned my seat for all cx ba flight so i thought it is oneworld emerald benefit:/
Yes I do called up and get my JAL PNR but seems that i cant login... Like my flight is AA8418 should i just input JL736 instead??
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by jacccccl
oops cuz i was successfully pre-assigned my seat for all cx ba flight so i thought it is oneworld emerald benefit:/
Yes I do called up and get my JAL PNR but seems that i cant login... Like my flight is AA8418 should i just input JL736 instead??
CX extends the advanced seat selection benefit to oneworld elites. JAL doesn't even offer this to its own elites (and I actually prefer it this way).

Yes, you need to put in JL736.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: AC MM
JAL flights booked via American Airlines seat selection

I am looking at flights over Christmas from YVR to Hong Kong on JAL.
If booked via American, the price is just over US$ 800 and if booked via JAL it's double that.

When I book via AA I can't pre-reserve the seats on the AA site and I wonder if the booking class "O" will allow me to pre-reserve seats on the JAL site once the booking is made.
I know that some booking classes (I think one of them is "N") don't allow for reserving seats in advance.

Has anyone had experience booking on AA and reserving seats afterwards on the JAL site?

All flights are operated by JL and only YVR - NRT/NRT - YVR have an AA codeshare flight number, NRT - HKG/HKG - NRT are booked with the JL flight number.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:58 am

I think I just found my answer in another thread and it looks like pre-reserving a seat on an AA coded JAL flight is not possible, which is really to bad as I always take JAL over any other airlines in Economy across the Pacific with the 2 - 4 - 2 configuration and only my son and me flying.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...codeshare.html
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I think I just found my answer in another thread and it looks like pre-reserving a seat on an AA coded JAL flight is not possible, which is really to bad as I always take JAL over any other airlines in Economy across the Pacific with the 2 - 4 - 2 configuration and only my son and me flying.

That's specific to MH. Try this one

Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
That's specific to MH. Try this one

Thank you JALpak for directing me and moving my post to this thread which is very helpful and I did find the answer to my question. "O" booking class does not allow to pre-reserve seats.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:36 am

JAL flight operated by AA?

Hi everyone,

I have the opposite problem. I have an AA flight booked on JAL. How do I find the record locator for AA? My JAL fare class is N, so I can't select my seat on JAL. I assume I can select my seat on the AA segment right?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by petey2428
Hi everyone,

I have the opposite problem. I have an AA flight booked on JAL. How do I find the record locator for AA? My JAL fare class is N, so I can't select my seat on JAL. I assume I can select my seat on the AA segment right?

Thanks for your help!
You will need to call JAL
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA
For N class, within 72 hours of departure, you can go to the following website to check in: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

There you can select your seat. Way better that calling JAL and being on hold for 30 minutes.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: aadvantage
Brave Soul

Is there a brave soul who wants to book a flight on American, get the JAL PNR, try to select a seat at JAL's website and then cancel the flight -just to see if you can do it?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I could never remember the details of this codeshare stuff, so I created a wiki at the top of the page. Hopefully it's helpful, and some folks will plug in their experiences. Even with the frustration of not having a pre-assigned seat, I have yet to be disappointed with my eventual seat assignment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.