Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Old May 6, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Update: I was finally able to, at least, see my entire itinerary on jal.com when I sign in on the Japan website (but not the US one) with the JL reservation number. The web address in the above posting does not work for me (maybe because I am in Korea ?). When I go to the reservation, I am told that I cannot select seats on jal.com because the ticketing was done by AA. Oh, well, I'm in seats 51K (a B777-300) and 48K (a B787-8) on my long-haul flights; wish I could do better, but AA telephone agent said only some seats were available for them to select from.

Last edited by relangford; May 6, 2015 at 7:20 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Question I have an S class ticket on a JAL operated flight sold as an AA codeshare. Last time I did this I had N class which meant seat assignment at T-72 does anyone know what the policy is for S class?
Old May 11, 2015, 2:32 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Question I have an S class ticket on a JAL operated flight sold as an AA codeshare. Last time I did this I had N class which meant seat assignment at T-72 does anyone know what the policy is for S class?
You should be able to assign seat once flight is confirmed.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JALPak
You should be able to assign seat once flight is confirmed.
Thank you I see a seat assignment in my confirmation now. I guess the final question is would an AA Plat qualify for an exit row with them?
Old May 11, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Thank you I see a seat assignment in my confirmation now. I guess the final question is would an AA Plat qualify for an exit row with them?
Not all exit row seats. You will be able to select them online if you are eligible and seats are still open.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
Not all exit row seats. You will be able to select them online if you are eligible and seats are still open.
Thank you so much for the quick replies. I will call tomorrow and get my JAL PNR and see what I can do.

Thanks Again.
Steve
Old May 13, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I booked my ticket (AA codeshare JL operated) through a travel agent and AA is asking for a $25 fee to assign seats on the phone. My trip doesn't show up on the JAL website (even with JAL record locator, though a later all AA leg does show up), and the travel agent seems useless and unhelpful.

Anyone have any ideas or am I stuck with the $25 fee?
Old May 20, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Flew on a booking like this recently on an AA-issued ticket:

HKG-NRT (AA codeshare, CX operated, N class fare)
NRT-LAX (AA codeshare, JL operated, N)
LAX-NRT (AA issued and operated, N)
HND-HKG (AA codeshare, CX operated, S)

I called AA to get my CX and JL PNR. As I am a Marco Polo with status, I was able to call CX and get seats assigned. However, even though my FF# was in the system, the AA-issued tickets resulted in the CX webpage not showing my AA codeshare bookings.

I was able to get the AA-operated flight seat assignment via the website, including seat choices for free for elite OW members.

The problem came up for JL. Armed with the JL PNR, I logged onto the website, but when I pulled up my reservation page, it wouldn't let me go into the JL flight itself to choose seats. If I tried to check-in, it said check-in with AA. Of course, AA's webpage couldn't check me in for a JL-operated flight (despite what JL told me over the phone). I called both AA and JL and neither could assign a seat for me. I ended up having to go to the transit desk at NRT to get my seat but I did get my preferred aisle seat.

As an aside, I chose all these codeshare flights because AA earns the maximum 100% mileage on all sectors. If I had issued as a CX flight for the 2 CX sectors, they would have earned 25% only. The JL flight would have earned 50% only. On the very last HND-HKG flight, the AA fare wasn't available without paying much more money so I chose JL at 50% over CX at 25%.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by MajorFloyd
Flew on a booking like this recently on an AA-issued ticket:

HKG-NRT (AA codeshare, CX operated, N class fare)
NRT-LAX (AA codeshare, JL operated, N)
LAX-NRT (AA issued and operated, N)
HND-HKG (AA codeshare, CX operated, S)

I called AA to get my CX and JL PNR. As I am a Marco Polo with status, I was able to call CX and get seats assigned. However, even though my FF# was in the system, the AA-issued tickets resulted in the CX webpage not showing my AA codeshare bookings.

I was able to get the AA-operated flight seat assignment via the website, including seat choices for free for elite OW members.

The problem came up for JL. Armed with the JL PNR, I logged onto the website, but when I pulled up my reservation page, it wouldn't let me go into the JL flight itself to choose seats. If I tried to check-in, it said check-in with AA. Of course, AA's webpage couldn't check me in for a JL-operated flight (despite what JL told me over the phone). I called both AA and JL and neither could assign a seat for me. I ended up having to go to the transit desk at NRT to get my seat but I did get my preferred aisle seat.

As an aside, I chose all these codeshare flights because AA earns the maximum 100% mileage on all sectors. If I had issued as a CX flight for the 2 CX sectors, they would have earned 25% only. The JL flight would have earned 50% only. On the very last HND-HKG flight, the AA fare wasn't available without paying much more money so I chose JL at 50% over CX at 25%.
You are booked under N class that means no advanced seat assignment. If OLCI works, you need to wait till T-24 and do it via AA site. I've had problem in the past for checking in from CX operated AA coded connection to JL operated AA coded flight. OLCI for JL flight failed (even via AA website). CX couldn't even check my brother in at HKG and he had to do so at transfer desk and it was the day they grounded the 788 fleet. He wasted an hour there!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Backstory: Booked through AA, AA codeshare on JL metal, SGN-NRT.

So I have that error when I try to pull up my reservation on the JAL website where I enter my JL rez number and other info, and it shows my NRT-LAX flight on AA, but not my initial AA(JL) SGN-NRT flight. (This is my return trip, outbound and same issues).

AA was able to select seats for me in Row 50-something. Row 16 is currently showing on EF as open, but JL says those seats are blocked, and AA can't request them.

Does anyone know if I will be able to do OLCI T-24 hours from SGN? I really don't want to show up 3 hours before departure.

TIA.
My experience is identical to yours thus far. I can even see my AA flights on the JAL website but not the JL flights sold as AA codeshare???

Were you able to OLCI and select a seat at T-24 ?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I've found JL does not allow online-checkin of code-shared flights.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I'm having a hard time selecting 2 seats on JAL route

NRT-HAN AA codeshare, JL operated Economy seat on a 787-900

EF show row 47 available, and bunch of rows that are blocked (46, 46 and 51 to 55), AA can not see 47, so I have to select the last 2 seat available on row 51 (middle seats).
I tried to call JL US, no answer, JL AR same thing, lnly JL MX answered but they were unable to touch/select seats because is an AA codeshare. I didn't have a problem with SGN-NRT on a 787-800 on the same PNR.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Do you follow AA on Twitter? If so (or when you do), send them a DM to check/assign.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Backstory: Booked through AA, AA codeshare on JL metal, SGN-NRT.

So I have that error when I try to pull up my reservation on the JAL website where I enter my JL rez number and other info, and it shows my NRT-LAX flight on AA, but not my initial AA(JL) SGN-NRT flight. (This is my return trip, outbound and same issues).
Exact same issues here. I can pull up my reservation on the JAL site, but it doesn't show either my NRT-SGN or SGN-NRT flights, which are the only JAL flights on the itinerary. Anyone find a solution? Is calling AA / JAL the only way to get seats assigned?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mster
Exact same issues here. I can pull up my reservation on the JAL site, but it doesn't show either my NRT-SGN or SGN-NRT flights, which are the only JAL flights on the itinerary. Anyone find a solution? Is calling AA / JAL the only way to get seats assigned?
If it is an AA codeshare, AA should assign the seats, and JL will not be able to touch the reservation. But in general you will often be sent back and forth, AA will often insist that it is a JL flight and hence they can just give you the JL PNR not actually assign the seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.