Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
You can see your reservation, right?
Another words, it doesn't throw you error messages or antying?

Also, isn't there a check in option at the page. So you start the process by pointing browser to check-in page and then typing in the info.

I am pretty sure thats what i did, so it just redirected me to Jal check in page.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:55 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by aces_high
You can see your reservation, right?
Another words, it doesn't throw you error messages or antying?

Also, isn't there a check in option at the page. So you start the process by pointing browser to check-in page and then typing in the info.

I am pretty sure thats what i did, so it just redirected me to Jal check in page.
There's no check-in option after I pulled up my reservation using the PNR.

And now it says I am already check-in!? The first flight is operated by CX and second one operated by JL. I did the OLCI for the CX flight on CX website. Let's see if it changes when it's T-24 for the JL flight. But when I clicked "View Boarding Pass", it gave me an error message...

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 15, 2013 at 1:01 am
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
There's no check-in option after I pulled up my reservation using the PNR.

And now it says I am already check-in!? The first flight is operated by CX and second one operated by JL. I did the OLCI for the CX flight on CX website. Let's see if it changes when it's T-24 for the JL flight. But when I clicked "View Boarding Pass", it gave me an error message...
No OLCI for JL codeshare flight either at T-24. Probably because the first flight is operated by CX and it is connecting to a JL operated codeshare.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:52 am

There should be an option for online check-in.
If you are getting that you already checked in, then you probably have already done so. You should see your booking on JAL site then. do you have JAL record locator?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:00 am

There should be an option for online check-in.
If you are getting that you already checked in, then you probably have already done so. You should see your booking on JAL site then. do you have JAL record locator?
There's NO option for online check-in on aa.com. I have no clue how come aa website says I am already checked in. All I did was enter the info before OLCI opens. Can't load up the JL operated flights on JL website either. Only first flight operated by CX is displayed.

I hope AA doesn't automatically check in the remaining legs because I plan to change the seat assignment when more seats open up later. I hope AA and JL can sort out this mess. As least on CX website, I can assign seats and check-in on the CX operated legs.

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 15, 2013 at 2:08 am
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:53 am

try from Japanese site
http://www.americanairlines.jp/intl/jp/index_en.jsp
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:11 am

If you click check-in, you will be redirected to the US site.

A new window will show results from the AA.com U.S. website. The current page will remain open.
I am convinced that because the first flight is operated by CX, my itinerary is ineligible for online check-in. If I am only flying on JL operated codeshare, I might be able to do it.

The first flight of the itinerary for which a customer is checking in must be operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, British Airways, Iberia or Japan Airlines.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
In October I flew AA from CDG-JFK and tried many times to use OLCI, particularly when I saw the length of the queues at CDG. However a very helpful lady then advised me that to use OLCI overseas you must have an American passport.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:18 pm

If you click check-in, you will be redirected to the US site.
i think i managed to get through with that, just type in your info and see what happens.
I am convinced that because the first flight is operated by CX, my itinerary is ineligible for online check-in. If I am only flying on JL operated codeshare, I might be able to do it.
Maybe I've missed it, but what if you just use CX page to check-in online? would it let you do it for all flights?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:42 pm

i think i managed to get through with that, just type in your info and see what happens.

Maybe I've missed it, but what if you just use CX page to check-in online? would it let you do it for all flights?
Nope couldn't check in on JL flight via CX. at HKG CX couldn't check in for the connecting flight either. Need to do that at the transit desk at NRT. JAL couldn't change the seat assignment at HKG either. It's a terrible experience booking on AA
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:51 am

Nope couldn't check in on JL flight via CX. at HKG CX couldn't check in for the connecting flight either. Need to do that at the transit desk at NRT. JAL couldn't change the seat assignment at HKG either. It's a terrible experience booking on AA
agreed. I wasted hours of my vacation time trying to battle them so they would fulfil their obligation and make my seat resevable.

In the end they did find an error on my reservation page and corrected it. after that I was able to check in 3 days in advance.

I would recommend calling them, JAL, and CX, get RL for all flights and then try to see what can be done. Don't take their word for granted (especially AA), make sure information is same from all airlines. At first, they lied to me that I could not reserve a seat because ticket was purchased through 3rd party.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Domestic flights' seats aren't open for selection till 2-2.5 months before departure
So now that I've found the reservation online, there aren't great seat options so I've selected a middle seat.

I then went to Experflyer to set an alert for an aisle seat, should one open up. Oddly enough, Expertflyer shows plenty of open seats.

Is this a glitch or is the JAL website limited to showing certain seats? Would I have any better luck calling JAL directly and inquiring?

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum (2MM), Marriott Silver
I assume nothing has changed and that AA Codeshares booked in N class won't allow seat selection?

I do find it vaguely funny that AA claims they can't choose seats because it's on a JAL flight and on the JAL website it says clearly that they can't allow for the choosing of seats because the flight was booked as a codeshare through a partner airline. Truthfully, I'd almost pay money for just some peace of mind.

Thankfully (maybe), I am flying out to Tokyo on the 24th of December from LAX and can only hope that with the low odds of people flying on the 24th and 25th, maybe the plane won't be too full regardless...
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by Shinikenshi
I assume nothing has changed and that AA Codeshares booked in N class won't allow seat selection?

I do find it vaguely funny that AA claims they can't choose seats because it's on a JAL flight and on the JAL website it says clearly that they can't allow for the choosing of seats because the flight was booked as a codeshare through a partner airline. Truthfully, I'd almost pay money for just some peace of mind.

Thankfully (maybe), I am flying out to Tokyo on the 24th of December from LAX and can only hope that with the low odds of people flying on the 24th and 25th, maybe the plane won't be too full regardless...
That is correct. I had a HND-SFO flight and after reading through some previous posts about N fares on AA codeshare, I called both JAL and AA to confirm. I did have to talk to multiple people from both airlines before finally someone from AA gave me the definitive answer that you can't select seats with N ticket. First several calls it was AA saying I need to call JAL to assign me a seat so I can check in, then JAL saying only AA can assign me a seat since it's their ticket, then another AA rep saying she doesn't know why she can't pull up the seating chart.

Quite hilarious how misinformed even the reps are. Luckily during check-in at the airport they had plenty of aisle seats left.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:26 pm

Just booked 2 x F seats on JAL flight through AA and they let me choose seats when making the reservation. Not sure if that is considered a code share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.