Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 11, 17, 12:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: aschuett
Wiki Link
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
  • N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
  • O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
  • Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations


Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Feb 21, 16, 5:48 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: CTS
Programs: AA:1MM
Posts: 743
Originally Posted by mster View Post
Exact same issues here. I can pull up my reservation on the JAL site, but it doesn't show either my NRT-SGN or SGN-NRT flights, which are the only JAL flights on the itinerary. Anyone find a solution? Is calling AA / JAL the only way to get seats assigned?
If you can see the booking on JAL's website but not the JAL flights, then call up AA and ask if there's something screwed up in the reservation. Otherwise, you should be able to see those flights there.
virmaior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 16, 4:12 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CLE
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by fedechat View Post
I'm having a hard time selecting 2 seats on JAL route

NRT-HAN AA codeshare, JL operated Economy seat on a 787-900

EF show row 47 available, and bunch of rows that are blocked (46, 46 and 51 to 55), AA can not see 47, so I have to select the last 2 seat available on row 51 (middle seats).
I tried to call JL US, no answer, JL AR same thing, lnly JL MX answered but they were unable to touch/select seats because is an AA codeshare. I didn't have a problem with SGN-NRT on a 787-800 on the same PNR.
I'm on the same route with the same issue. AA shows no seat assignment online, but it showed they assigned me 47A outbound/47K return on the email confirmation. I'm not a huge window seat fan and would rather have the aisle seat next to it (or preferably somewhere closer to 27). Calling AA didn't get me anywhere either.
ginoa724 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 16, 8:45 am
  #93  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: CTS
Programs: AA:1MM
Posts: 743
Originally Posted by ginoa724 View Post
I'm on the same route with the same issue. AA shows no seat assignment online, but it showed they assigned me 47A outbound/47K return on the email confirmation. I'm not a huge window seat fan and would rather have the aisle seat next to it (or preferably somewhere closer to 27). Calling AA didn't get me anywhere either.
Steps are pretty simple:

1. call AA and ask for JAL record locator
2. go to JAL's american reigion website
3. go to "view my reservations"
4. enter JAL record locator number and your details
5. edit there.
virmaior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 16, 12:45 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: American, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 5
I got into my reservation JAL website
Shows no seats available but confirmed economy plus
So do they not come available until the 72 hour prior window?
Can I call JAL?
thurman52 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 16, 2:00 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: AA/BA/US/AS/WN Hyatt/HH Diamond +IHG&CC
Posts: 1,249
Originally Posted by virmaior View Post
Steps are pretty simple:

1. call AA and ask for JAL record locator
2. go to JAL's american reigion website
3. go to "view my reservations"
4. enter JAL record locator number and your details
5. edit there.
The problem is that the JL segments aren't showing up at all on the JL site when the flights are AA codeshare flights. I can see my AA flights just fine on the JL site using the JL locator, just not the JL flights.
mster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 16, 2:05 pm
  #96  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 7,836
Originally Posted by thurman52 View Post
I got into my reservation JAL website
Shows no seats available but confirmed economy plus
So do they not come available until the 72 hour prior window?
Can I call JAL?
They may just be blocked, and then become available at 72 hours for OLCI. But you can try to give JAL a call, and see what they can do.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 16, 2:35 pm
  #97  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,724
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
They may just be blocked, and then become available at 72 hours for OLCI. But you can try to give JAL a call, and see what they can do.
This is AA codeshare. He will need to talk to AA not JAL.
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 16, 4:17 pm
  #98  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 7,836
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
This is AA codeshare. He will need to talk to AA not JAL.
Yes, sorry my thinking was not quite there it seems.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 16, 2:08 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, AMC A List
Posts: 96
In my experience, the "manage my booking" feature differs between the JAL US site and the JAL JP site.

For my upcoming flight, I can only see my partial reservation with just my US legs on the JAL US site, however, when I switched to JAL JP, I can see the full trip

So for those who are having trouble seeing your JL operated flights, change the website region to Japan, English and look for the "My International Booking" link
FobbyFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 16, 11:20 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BOS
Programs: AA, DL, JB, QF, AF, JL
Posts: 10
AA site for checkin codeshares JL flight

I broke a BOS-SYD, SYD-LAX ticket and was issued a AA codeshare JL metal for BOS-NRT on JL7/AA7375 and a JL 771 for NRT-SYD, and AA 73 for SYD-LAX. I used the JAL site and JL record locator and could only see my JL flight to choose seat. At 72 hr, I could check in the JL flight, I decided to call JL. The phone rep told me to go through AA and I replied that I had already done that on AA and I could only see the AA flight when I check. however, she told me to use the check in button at the top left of the screen, and lo and behold, when I clicked on it,I got moved to the same JL checkin site, but this time, the JL7 flight appeared as well and I was able to checkin and issue the boarding pass. I thought I knew but this is great.
jnyeung is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 16, 3:55 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 74
Had issues JAL & AA assigning a seat for me, after a few calls was told that AA codeshares booked in class G,N,O are ineligible for advance seat assignments even with status.
Focke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 16, 7:47 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8
Thumbs up

On my most recent trip booked as AA codeshare, AA's link to OLCI finally worked.

Trying the old way (get JAL PNR, go to JAL's OLCI, input info there) had never worked for me.

Once in to the JAL OLCI, you can work part-way through the process, get to seat selection, and once selected, drop without completing OLCI (if you don't want to - I figure I'll be at the business class counter at the airport anyway). JAL will save your seat selection.

This also allowed immediate seat selection for the return leg even though that was far more than 72 hours away.
blakerson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 16, 10:37 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 137
Everytime I have flied JL metal on AA codeshare, I have tried using the JL PNR but the only legs that show up on the JL website are the AA metal ones.
Any suggestions?
davidgrahammd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 16, 11:57 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by Focke View Post
Had issues JAL & AA assigning a seat for me, after a few calls was told that AA codeshares booked in class G,N,O are ineligible for advance seat assignments even with status.
Here is what I got returned when trying to pre-assign a seat
Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.
It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.
Please ask your travel agents or airlines you asked.
If you made the reservation on other than JAL home page at Japan region, please call JMB award reservations and services.

Since I am in "O" class I assumed that the above was the case. I did however think that PLT status would have given me some benefit
token385 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 16, 12:17 pm
  #105  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,724
Originally Posted by token385 View Post
Here is what I got returned when trying to pre-assign a seat
Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.
It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.
Please ask your travel agents or airlines you asked.
If you made the reservation on other than JAL home page at Japan region, please call JMB award reservations and services.

Since I am in "O" class I assumed that the above was the case. I did however think that PLT status would have given me some benefit
Unlike CX, fare rules trump status in this case.
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: